Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Oman frankincense, balsam ointment, ambrette seed, red oud, and golden sandalwood.

The red oud and golden sandalwood really show up on the skin here.  It has that same slightly sweet zing that a lot of the other 'red' notes have, but softened by that rich warmth of the golden sandalwood.  I definitely got a little bit of the ointment note at first but it disappeared almost immediately as the oud and sandalwood came storming in. I definitely got the frankincense in the bottle but on the skin it gets lost in the other notes.

I amp balsam, and the balsam here is in line with that. Mary Magdalene is hyper-balsamic on my skin, shrill and a little acidic, bringing to mind balsamic vinaigrette.

Somewhere past the heavy balsam clouds, I can make out a golden sandalwood and frankincense and, later, the redness of the oud. Back there, past the salad-dressing swamp, is a land that suggests contemplative serenity. I just can't quite get there.

I need to stop sniffing this, because down that road lies headaches.

Love at first sniff for this spicy/sweet resin blend. So rich and concentrated, I would describe it as dark-brown (the vibe, not the oil itself), syrupy like cola or aged balsamic vinegar. A touch of medicinal quality from the balsam which does seem to be the star note of this blend. It’s definitely going on my bottle wishlist!

this one is hard describe, because everything really meshes quickly to evoke a mood.  balsam, most definitely, and it does have a medicinal slant that i love.  red oud is a player, and sandalwood peeks out later on.  is that a hint of spice?  this is warm, deep, rich. slightly cologney, the way balsam can be.

i tucked it away for a while when i got it because it feels a bit heavy, but perfect for this 30-degree morning.  i feel warmed from within. 

I am so glad to have gotten ahold of a bottle of Mary Magdalene. I was super excited for the notes, very happy that frankincense is very strong for me in this one. A gorgeous melange of resins going on that stays very much the same throughout the drydown. I was smelling myself and kept getting reminded of something but couldn't place it, and finally halfway through my shift it hit me that this is extremely similar to bath and body work's Smoked Old Fashioned. I love this one even more, and this has amazing throw. 10/10

Strong frankincense, resins - soft, and beautiful - this is like a very golden blend. Medium throw and wear length.