Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Leather, Tonka, and Vetiver

This is fresh from the mail, so when things have settled a lot more, I will report back with any changes with aging! Just wanted to give some quick first impressions.

Leather, Tonka, and Vetiver are three of my current favorite notes, so I instantly blind-bought a bottle. What is interesting is that I don't detect any of them so far in this blend! I will tell you what I do get: a gentleman's library, somewhat debauched, with heavy oak furniture and mahogany desk and metallic fixtures and a heavy layer of dust all around. The gentleman who owns the library favors an old-fashioned cologne, dark and mysterious, oakmossy. He is the brooding type, surly, all rough edges and mannerisms. Do not expect any sweetness from him. He belongs to the Hellfire club for sure (Hellfire and Dee are two GCs that this would get along fairly well with).

So clearly, I'm picking up on the masculine vibes and also the Weenie vibes from this one! It reminds me a whole lot of Bookcase Passage and Rickety Staircase from 2020 Weenies, a bit of Scientific Occult and Inexplicable from 2021 Yules. That same kind of atmospheric blending, the emphasis on dense oak and gleaming polish, but the trio is even darker and heavier than those ones. The leather in it is a dusty kind, yet somehow strong at the same time. I can't pick up any of the vanillic nature of the tonka in this anti-sweet blend. And my beloved vetiver is absolutely MIA. I hope it peeks its lovely head out over the next few weeks to play.

I recommend Leather, Tonka, and Vetiver to anyone looking to get a jump start on Weenies and who likes any of the blends or atmospheres mentioned above. 

Huh.

I'm going through my friend's decants here, just applying and writing impressions. I throw this on last, with no mental projection first of how these notes might play together. All this to say... I didn't picture anything, but if I had, this probably wouldn't have been it.

LTV is soft on me, but what I get is faintly leathery, and definitely salty, mostly clean skin sweat. I picture the soft leather cover of a journal stained from being held too long on a hot day, or soft brown leather stained with sweat from fighting in it, but none of this smells body odory, just salty.

Salty, mildly sweat-stained (but clean) leather.