Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
thesibylqueen

Been a decade since my last purchase: what should I get now?

It's been more than a decade since I've shopped or swapped BPAL and I'm just overwhelmed by the offerings. I want to treat myself for my birthday but don't know what to splurge on. What's the new, not-to-be-missed or the doesn't-get-nearly-the-attention-it-should scents? 

I love woods, real florals, aquatics, citrus, incense/smoke, leather. I don't like foodie scents but I do enjoy vanilla and citrus.

Peter Quint is my all-time-favorite BPAL if there's a smellalike for it!

I plan to peruse the reviews and other recommendation threads, but happy for any kneejerk recs!

audra

Welcome back!!!  You’re right, it is overwhelming!  As someone to whom the cause has a personal relevance, I want to highlight the two “On Children” scents with proceeds going to support trans kids in Texas. And Though They Are With You is a perfect vanilla sandalwood, simple but gorgeous, wearable in any situation. I’m a patchouli hound so I love You May House Their Bodies even more. It seems like there have been some magnificent forest scents released recently but my brain isn’t letting me call them up this morning. And there are wonderful bargains to be had in the GC. I love Elf, Lizardfolk Park Ranger, Golden Priapus, Black Rider, Bard, No. 93 Engine, just off the top of my head. 

I feel you! It hasn't been quite a decade for me, but a good number of years all the same. Turns out, I have discovered, that my chemistry and scent preferences changed wildly in the interim, and I suppose as I'm getting older! It's been crazy, I think I'm going to love things I could never wear, and some of my old favorites I find I just don't care for as much anymore.

As far as what's new with real florals blended with some light aquatics, honestly, Sunyashniki is awesome. 

Incense and Leather; well, cannot go wrong with Perversion (even though incense isn't a listed note), it is blended so well IMO. It's an oldy though. 

On 7/4/2022 at 6:28 PM, thesibylqueen said:

It's been more than a decade since I've shopped or swapped BPAL and I'm just overwhelmed by the offerings. I want to treat myself for my birthday but don't know what to splurge on. What's the new, not-to-be-missed or the doesn't-get-nearly-the-attention-it-should scents? 

I love woods, real florals, aquatics, citrus, incense/smoke, leather. I don't like foodie scents but I do enjoy vanilla and citrus.

Peter Quint is my all-time-favorite BPAL if there's a smellalike for it!

I plan to peruse the reviews and other recommendation threads, but happy for any kneejerk recs!

audra

I know this thread is a few months old, but you may really love Back in the Recording Studio from the Liliths release. "Tonka bean, black amber resin, patchouli root, candlewax, lavender bud, driftwood, and honey dust."  

The honey dust is not strong and the scent isn't foodie at all. There is plenty of incense and woods--the driftwood also adds an aquatic note to this.

Bawd, in the Independent Shakespeare Company collaboration is a lovely, real floral with a touch of vanilla "Raucous red velvet musk, sweet patchouli, billowing peony, bourbon vanilla, and a cascade of red rose petals."

Clemence, in Carnival Diabolique, is a spicy, woody, floral and one of my all time favorites. "Patchouli, Kashmiri tea, cardamom, black pepper, carnation, and clove."

Love Let Her, in the collaboration with Darla Teagarden, is also a lovely floral with a whiff of smoke and sandalwwod. "Velvet-pink carnations with tea roses, peonies, and rose sandalwood with a whiff of candlesmoke"

Tovenares, from the recent Weenies drop may be up your alley as there are florals, woods, and smoke. "Pale woods and dried rose petals, white sandalwood, bone dust, sweet amber, and incense smoke."

The Witch/Strega is also one with that I adore and that hits your scent preferences. "Leatherbound tomes and rose cream, flickering flames of twin ambers, and a cascade of shadows: black oud, teakwood, black beeswax, 13-year aged patchouli, cinnabar, balsam, sweet labdanum, tonka bean, and smoke."

All of these are currently available as of 11/9/2022. All are also in my personal collection so I feel confident recommending them. I hope this was helpful!

Sign in to follow this