Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Cacao, smoked mahogany, tonka, sweet aged patchouli, and white sandalwood. 

Despite the cacao as the first listed note, this is not a foodie blend.  It's in the same family as #occupywallstreet, but this is the more respectable cousin who doesn't sport dreadlocks and bathes regularly.  This patch is smooth, not filthy, with a little sweetness from the tonka, some rich woods from the mahogany (I get no smoke whatsoever, if that note is of concern) and a bit of that incensy sandalwood.  And of course the deep dark cacao holding it all together.  I don't see any sludge in my bottle, and it doesn't stain my wrist.  I bought the two Roe v. Wade scents I thought would work on me, the two with patchouli, and they're both pretty perfect. 

my first actual review on the forum!

i broke this down to two impressions. 1. fresh out of the mail & 2. 24 hours rested.

1. in the vial, its dry and chocolate-y. wet on the skin, its not as cacao forward as I initially expected it to be. sure, you get that whiff of dry chocolate but it has a pretty, smooth slightly amber-y quality? the sweetness seems tempered on the skin. the dry down is lovely. the tonka bean really works well here, and truthfully, right now, i don't pick up much patchouli. the sandalwood is probably somewhere in here, adding to the tonka bean. i can see this aging into something really beautiful.

update: after a bit, its all tonka bean, sandalwood, and a hint of something woody because its not powdery but it smells more like a lux designer fragrance. the kind that probably lingers on fur coats.

2. second time around! still chocolate-y in the vial. wet on the skin, nowhere near as cacao forward so that tracks from the first test. i get more of the sandalwood and its tickling my nose in a warm, peppery kind of way. the tonka bean and sandalwood give this scent a vintage perfume kind of vibe. perhaps something you'd sniff at a boutique of some sort. timeless, elegant. the patchouli is not very noticeable, if at all, to my nose. its possible that it might become more apparent with some aging but i'm not quite sure. the dry down has more of a woody, dry quality with the same classic perfume aura as before. the cacao is here and its noticeable, but its more of a delicate velvety sweetness than anything particularly gourmand.

update: glowing, sexy tonka bean and sandalwood with a soft woody note. vaguely sweet cacao fluttering in the background. all tied together seamlessly. gorgeous.

There is a whole category of chocolate scents that run dirty - Haul on the Bowline, Night, Judgmental Longhorn, Muddy Armadillo, Ice Age Baton, Jólabókaflóðið , among others - and Wrapped in Sable Garments can join that gang. This is a dirty cacao. It has rolled around in the dirt and soaked up some strong cologne in the process. The mahogany/teak wood here is STRONG. It reminds me a whole lot of A Groan of Mortal Terror, but amplified because I can smell the sweet/bitterness of the cacao rather than the tobacco of Groan. I also get Antikythera Mechanism, with all that teak, smoke, and vanilla/tonka. So if that one works for you, give Wrapped a try.

Buried in there is the amber and sandalwood, leaning masculine for me in this setting because of the cologne-like woods. It's a little powdery (sandalwood and amber will do that) but overall, those are not really strong notes in the blend. I think the patchouli is adding to the "dirt" impression, but I don't think this is a dirty, filthy patchouli. Going by #occupywallstreet, which is the one "dirty cacao" that works for me, Wrapped is a different and quieter patchouli. 

I'm glad to have tried this Kindly, but it is not so kindly to my nose. It's just not for me, but if you love any of those aforementioned naughty cacaos, it just might be for you. 

Sable Garments is a naughty cacao bringing a somewhat mixed message: Slap on cologne for a roll in the dirt. 

I mean, sure. Why not?

This patch is sweeter and less fuzzy-dirty than what I got from another recent cacao-patch blend, Dark-Eyed, Delightful. But an earthiness still comes across through the patch and cacao. The mahogany woods and early cologne whiffs suggest refinement. There's a tamed <---> untamed thing going on here, and one suspects concessions on both sides.

The cologne wafting around places this perfume in the bag of what doesn't work for me, but others will find more to delight in.

I'm not really that big on patchouli and sandalwood since they tend to be a bit too sharp for me. If you cover them in chocolate, this is a different story apparently. This perfume is all about the sandalwood and patchouli, rounded out with the smoked mahogany. They're a beautiful trio, woody and smoky and a little dirty. Much to my delight, they're smothered in chocolate. The chocolate softens everything, keeping it from being too sharp for me and adding a bitter element. The tonka sweetens the blend up, but not enough to make it too rich and foody.

I love chocolate combined with non-foody notes so this is right up my alley. I was afraid the patchouli would steal the show but it does not. It's a fun new twist on a chocolate non-gourmand perfume blend and I really enjoying it.

In the bottle I get a chewy patch with a lightly smoked dark chocolate. On my skin the cacao fades back a bit, and it's more mahogany and patch, with that vanilla-cherry-hay situation of tonka. Earthy, rich, with a sleekness from the mahogany and touch of smoke. As it dries the cacao comes back, doing less of a solo and more blended with the choir. It reminds me a bit of The Antikythera Mechanism, but this works on my skin! 

A low note thrumming on a guitar string. You know that feeling? This rumbles and resonates.

The first sniff is powdery chocolate, like a Hershey kiss that has bloomed and hardened and turned to dust. (If you are familiar with Night, it does not share a cacao with Wrapped).

I'm glad I actually put it on my skin after that impression. A glossy mahogany, reminiscent of Antikythera Mechanism, combines with the chocolate and gradually overtakes it. To the chocolate-dusted wood, add warm, unsweetened, spiced, earthy sort of vanilla smell. And, yes, the woods are smoked.

Based on this first test, this is excellent. Sleek, warm, woody, earthy tonka with a dusting of smoke and cacao.

Edited by wordortwo

This is BOTTLE WORTHY! I'm testing from a decant, the oxygen has run through it, perhaps causing a jumpstart to the aging process. But here we go...

You know when you look at scent notes and think, "Oh yeah, I know what this is about." Well, this one was a big surprise.

Stunningly blended, almost creamy, Rich, smooth chocoloate with beams of dry wood. The patch is barely perceptable as the white sandalwood "wraps" the blend together. I smell no spice, earth or vanilla.  However I am getting something fresh...yes, fresh..like authentic cold air. 

Gorgeous. I feel Wrapped in a Sable Garment.