Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I love red amber so much. It's almost always paired with other notes I dislike, so I was excited to see it in a scent that appealed to me. 

I can immediately detect the red amber. The musk is sweet, but not nearly as heavy and perfume-y as red musk often turns on me. Saffron and honey always go well together, giving a bit of richness and spice to the blend. It does read as smelling "red" to me, which is a nice trick when not relying on fruits or roses to lend it that vibe. As it fades, the red amber and musk stay dominant on me, with the honey/saffron combo going faint. I think that might balance with some age.

I'll be wearing this one a lot.

Soft and dusty, ancient power. Red musk dominates with a sweet undercurrent of honey and a little spice of saffron. Gorgeous. No "dripping gore" at all. Perhaps a bit of sadness. 

Oooh, I'm getting lots of red amber! The red musk, while present, is more like the type in Red Ribbon that is sugared and doesn't take over everything. The honey is kind of sweet and powdery and the saffron adds a bit of a bitter edge on the dry down. Another lovely addition to the sweetened red musk blends.

Edited by feyofthefellwood

This is a much calmer blend than the name or even the notes might imply. A Robe All Red with Dripping Gore comes forth with a bitter saffron. The herbal bite has quiet inner fury. The scariest kind! When the saffron steps back, coppery blood musk steps forward. It is distinct from red musk, thanks to that clovey-spicy-saffrony twang of copper-penny that blood often has. Of course it had to play a part in a blend with this name! At this stage, there is not much sweetness, but the bitterness diminishes too, giving it almost a savory dustiness. Savory to vampires, maybe :P

The honey right now is helping bring out the metallic twang, just like it does in Bard, but otherwise it's not a huge player to me at this point in the aging process. If honey is often rude to you, this Fury might actually behave. It's the red amber that is the calming, dusty, old-fashioned resin here. A little powdery, a little golden, a bit fizzy too like labdanum for me, and indeed tinged with a reddish color.

I think aging will bring out more beauty from this scent. Right now, it feels like a young Fury, one who's still in her two-week training period. I could see this deepening and darkening into an ancient and terrifying harbinger of scent doom. I'll check back in after a month or two and see what happens. Right now, it's not a full-bottle scent for me, but if Bard and Bloody Corridor and Scherezade are all favorites of yours, certainly give A Robe a try.

All I smell is incensey nag champa which is on my bully note list. It just tromps all over any other note. I also dislike it quite a bit. 

At first, there's just a dry, smoky red saffron.

After a few moments, a soft honey, red-touched with spices, emerges alongside a reddish metallic musk. The honey stays quiet. The reddish elements of the musk remind me of rust crumbs that have flaked off some tarnished antique, but the musk is the stronger of the notes. Although this musk smells a bit spicy and reddish, it isn't otherwise much like red musk, leaning instead toward an odd metallic tang.

The blend as a whole doesn't smell filled out at this point, and may benefit from some age.

this starts with blood musk and saffron for me. a few minutes later i get amber and honey, sweetening things up a bit. however, i wouldn't call this too sweet overall. something in here is going a bit wonky on me, not sure what but adds a bit of sour sharpness (but not too strong.) I think maybe the saffron isn't playing nice with the other notes? although  i am not sure what is meant by 'red' amber either...overall it's a slightly smoky less sweet red musk on me.

I get hit with musk and amber right away, then it fades to a soft fabric-y smell?  This one is confusing to me because the name led me to believe it would be this intimidating, overbearing, rich scent, but to me it just smells like a vintage perfume?  Not quite grandma-esque, but a sophisticated woman in the 1940s or 1950s.  It just gives off vintage vibes.  Now, I did sample it as soon as I got it out of the mailbox, so it may benefit from resting for a while.  I do like it and may very well full size it!

I have an Ajevie decent RIS.

This is quite fruity in the imp, in the way red musk sometimes seems to me. On the skin, the scent dries up. This is, in fact, blood musk. It is the sweet copper tang of a just-dried drop of blood. Powdery, bitter notes swirl into the blood. This is not a sweet perfume, but without the hint of sweetness it has it would probably smell only metallic and bitter. The dry down is earthy, a little leathery, the slightest bit spicy. 

This is very nice, very goth. It does what I wanted The Blood Garden to do: create a wine-free, not-too-dirty, bloody atmospheric, dark but not too heavy. (I can't believe that is a thing I have been looking for, but here I am).

Edit: this reminds me, in mood and tone and ruby resins, of The Wish from the Ars Inspiration collection.

Edited by wordortwo

Saffron! Lots of it. It adds a bittersweet, exotic spiciness to the red musk. As abejita noticed, the red musk is understated here, not overpowering as it sometimes can be for me. I am not really picking up honey. I swear there’s a coppery blood note as well. Maybe I’m just easily suggestible what with the name and all but I see other have pointed it out as well. In summary, SWEET METAL BLOOD. 🤘

On my skin, this is a Bonnie & Clyde pairing of red musk and saffron. No other notes to speak of. Just a reckless pair of well-matched lovers coming to singe your nose-hairs. This would be nice if it wasn't so ridiculously overpowering.

The blood musk is metallic, but in a silvery, cool, cologne-like way instead of smelling coppery or like iron.  Metallic cologne, a hint of red musk, amber that comes off like dry woods and dust, and an odd drizzle of sweet honey and savory saffron.  I actually find the overall combination to be really off putting and dirty smelling.  I normally enjoy all of these notes, but this blend feels really disjointed to me and the thick dusty/powdery quality of the amber isn't working for me here.