Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Forever With Unopened Eye

When I saw "lavender incense" I really perked up.  Serge Lutens had a lavender incense scent and I'm always on the lookout for something similar.  (Encens et Lavende or something like that)

This starts out with a camphorous blast and I thought I wasn't going to like it.  I thought "is there eucalyptus in this?", but I think it's the cypress.  Soil peeks out a little bit.  After a long time, the camphor aspect backs off and I can tell the lavender incense is trying to come out.  I think the soil note comes out a little more and I think the hemlock is there in the mix.  

I thought I didn't like this but I keep putting on more.  It's kind of addictive and I'm hoping the lavender incense comes out more with age.  Overall I've grown to like this and I'm happy I took a chance on it. 

Edit: couple weeks later, the grave soil is a lot stronger now.  I'm still liking it!  Hasn't changed other than the soil coming out stronger. 

Edited by forspecial_plate

This starts off as cypress and grave soil on me, but quickly becomes about the grave soil and incense. The lavender incense is more incense than lavender on me, although I do get a bit more lavender from it as the day goes on. It ends up being mostly incense (like incense stick incense) with a touch of lavender by the end of the day.

I really liked the way this one started out, but I was hoping for more lavender and cypress.

Forever With Unopened Eye starts out with a sharp, somewhat high-pitched evergreen.  I usually wear cypress well, so I'm wondering if the hemlock might be at fault.  It passes through a stage where it's mostly soil, with evergreen note still quite apparent.  Ultimately I do get some incense but no lavender, which I had stopped expecting, frankly, because lavender tends to start off strong on me and get devoured by my skin within 15 or 20 minutes.  This just isn't working well with my skin chemistry. 

I honestly wanted all of the scents in this series, and this one turned out to be a sleeper hit on me. In the bottle:  Really loamy earth with some damp greenery in the background.  On, wet:  The lavender comes to the front very quickly in a little wave over the loamy soil.  As others have noted, this is a real morpher.  Eventually the soil note recedes and I'm left with this interesting smoky lavender thing, very wispy.  In a way it's a Weenie scent without being a Weenie and I'm really tempted to layer it with something like Autumn Oudh or one of the Dead Leaves.