Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sweet myrrh, saffron, red labdanum, ambrette seed, terebinth resin, Damascus rose, honey, cardamom, and cacao-infused patchouli.

This smells ancient in a wonderful way, very evocative of the artwork! 

The myrrh hits first and then the rest of the notes whoosh to life, as though you are stepping into the lovingly prepared resting place of the Egyptian cat. Softly sweetened and spiced resins - that terebinth! - all cozily entombed. It's quite comforting, and stays close to the skin.

In the bottle I get the cacao and the terebrith resin, and a bit of the honey shows up when wet on the skin.

As it dries the myrrh gets stronger but the cacao is still there.

Once dry there is a faint touch of honey, lots of myrrh and some labdanum, with dry cacao and the tenebrith peeking through. After an hour or so I finally get the patchouli coming through, with tenebrith and the cacao still there. Not much throw but it does last a while.

This goes on myrhh and spiced cocoa but within five minutes dries down to powder and dried rose petals. Five minutes after that and I can smell last nights scent under it, but Obsequies is all gone… ☹️ It all happens so fast I am left without not much opinion on the whole of it. I hope it has staying power on others and i can follow reviews to find out what it smelled like on a wrist that didnt absorb the entire profile. Wore close those ten minutes. Then Poof! 

wet, i catch a lot of myrrh, cacao, and pine-needle tangy terebinth, with occasional whiffs of a smooth lovely patchouli and some dry crackly cardamom that pulls a lot more kitchen-spice-rack than cardamom sometimes can.  

as it dries everything just really meshes together.   there's this velvety soft dry incensy cacao-myrrh base that reminds me a bit of Velvet, and which is making this kind of powdery in a good way. that terebinth is staying close to the surface though, and it's keeping my nose very interested.

in general i tend to clash with rose, but i'm really not getting a whole lot of it here until hours in,  and then only really close to the skin. 

i like this.  i feel like we need to take some time to become better acquainted,  because there's a lot to unpack.  every time i've tried it, it presents a different aspect. today it's a lot of terebinth,  which i'm really loving. 

Oh this is beautiful! Upon application, this scent swirls around me with the myrrh most prominent, but quickly combined with the other notes to make a glorious scent evocative of ancient times. I get the same vibe from this that I do from OLLA Eve... Something ancient and mysterious, with the swirling spices, patchouli, and rose. This wears beautifully on me .. good throw and long lasting. Backup bottle worthy!

I get lots of terebinth and myrrh at first, which are later joined by the labdanum, honey, cardamom, and later on, the rose and patchouli emerge (although the patch in this is pretty tame) and the spices are more prominent. It's darker than OLLA Eve, but definitely in that scent family. I only get a touch of cacao -- this one is more about the resins, spices, and honey on me, with a flurry of rose petals, and the myrrh being the strongest note.

I don't think I'd wear this one over Eve (which is a lot smoother on me -- the myrrh is so strong on me in this one), but I do recommend it to those looking for a scent in that scent family.

This scent evokes an image and it's really good. I see a petite brown sphynx running around the tomb getting into spices, wraps, and dust chasing spiders while hanging out with annoyed servants who have to tolerate, love, and worship them regardless. Smells like home that I have never been too and I love it.

Obsequies smells like a complex relic of the ancient world... and also like spiced, earthy cacao.

Resinous resins and saffron, pepper, and patchouli mingling with dry cacao. Most of the latter note's strength fades quickly on me, leaving peppery, saffron-laced resins and earthy, dusty patchouli. I'm surprised to never quite find the rose in this tomb.

This is a conceptual scent for digging in ancient, dusty tomb-earth for relics, but without quite seeming to have a literal dirt note. I appreciate. 

for me, this one starts with ambrette, terebinth and cacao primarily. i find it to be cacao heavy at first. i think there's a hint of honey as well. after about 10 minutes i get some rose and cardamom and then it gets fairly sour. i love rose, in fact i love a lot of these notes, but this one is going strange on me...it might be due to the terebinth, which i have less familiarity with. it's like toasty and sour, i don't know. later on it dries down to a honey-myrrh thing. it morphs a lot and not all stages are great with my skin chemistry.

Edited by theseagrows

Obsequies is quite a bit better on me than I had expected. Usually when there’s a longish note list and I think, “I hope it’s not all rose,” it’s all rose. Here I barely notice the rose. The initial standout notes were myrrh, pale honey, saffron, and what I thought was balsam but is obviously terebinth pine. The patch isn’t appreciable until much later.  But this is really about the whole, not the parts. It’s a warm, dry scent, subtly spicy and woody, kind of a cousin to Bastet. It’s got good throw and wear length, both of which are rare on me. I tested Cherry Red on the other wrist and the combination was surprisingly wonderful. 

First Sniff: Sandalwood and cedar.

Initial Wet Application: Fuzzy sandalwood that’s not too bitey, yay!

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): Warm and comforting with some soft woods rounding it out. There may be a tiny hint of vanilla keeping this buttery and soft, but I’m not sure. It’s definitely reminiscent of incense, it’s just the warm-type of incense, not the yucky patchouli I don’t care for. 

My Reaction: This somehow reminds me of buttery popcorn. Which is delicious, but doesn’t make me think of funerals or cats (binturongs maybe…). Once this dried completely, this was the warm fuzziness from Brown Jenkin that I love. It became faint, but was still lovely warm fuzz with a hint of yummy buttered popcorn. 

Rating: 4

Gorgeous and interesting and so much going on here without it smelling chaotic or too much.  It reminds me of the hodgepodge of offerings that I sometimes do for my altar.  Chunks of smooth myrrh and golden amber melting in a warmer, snips of evergreen branches where you can smell the green needle and wood along with the sweet sap, hints of spice and honey and dark cocoa that melt into the resins rather than turning gourmand, a dark and sweet rose, and the warm, grounding earthiness of patchouli.  The best resins infused with all of the things.  Myrrh is one of my favorite things and it's very strong here, so that makes me super happy.  It took me almost a year to try this because I've been in the middle of moving from Canada back to the States and had to pack up a lot of my perfume before I could even open the bottles once, but it was worth the wait.  I put a little of this on my altar today too.