Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Scorched cedarwood, vanilla husk, Italian bergamot, dried red fruits, indigo, leather, and red oud.

This one is very well-blended so it's hard for me to pick out many specific notes. The crisp and clean bergamot is very prominent at first, but it fades into the background as time passes. The scorched cedarwood gives the impression of incense, it's smoky and mysterious in the same way. This is the most prominent note for me. I think I also get the vanilla husk. It's the same vanilla husk in the Vanilla Husk, Nutmeg, & Hay Absolute ménage, so it's grassy and lemony. The other notes are all blended into the background. I can occasionally catch a whiff of leather, but I was hoping for more than that since I'm a leather fiend.

Taking a step back, this gives me the impression of a mainstream perfume or cologne because it is so well-blended. Someone might wear this on a fancy date night.

Does it pair with the painting? I am not sure what a surrealist perfume would smell like, and that's an interesting question I don't feel equipped to answer. I think generally it does pair well, though. The scorched cedarwood smells mystical and vibrant with all the other notes swirling around it, which is reminiscent of all the vibrant life I see in the painting.

Scorched cedar, bergamot and vanilla husk are coming through most clearly for me in this one - agree that there is a lemony quality to it. Not getting much from the fruits or leather, and the oud in this is subtle, not stanky. Overall impression is that of a subtle natural cologne type scent.

The cedarwood is lightly smoky and not that scorched on me, and it's got a cologne-y wood vibe to it. I get touches of the leather and tart, dried red fruits, which I think may be currants. The vanilla husk in this is really light and what I believe may be a sheer bourbon vanilla type of vanilla. The bergamot, while not a main player, brightens up the scent a bit. But mostly, it's a cologne-y leather and tart fruit-touched scent on me.

I cannot see myself reaching for this, but if you're looking for a woodsy cologne type of scent, this might be up your alley.

I've been waiting for another good, cozy cedar scent to come along, and this comes closest to that for a while now.

Creating the World is woodsy and cedar-dominant, only slightly charred, with a potent bergamot musk/cologne vibe wafting out alongside. Red fruits and indigo soon combine with this to add sweetness and complexity; later I get a touch of leather that works well with the cedar. I'm appreciating what's going on here -- at the same time, it feels like a bit of a wild jumble.

Ultimately, this one settles into a likable vanilla-cedar on me, but there's too much musk and cologne happening first for my preferences. I'll keep waiting.

Oddly enough, this one reads as almost floral on me.  Been wearing it alone for a few days and layered it up with Man in Black HG today.  In the bottle:  Getting some of that red fruit and wisps of dry charred wood.  On, wet:  The cedar and vanilla come out in a soft wave almost immediately; at this point it's almost a dead ringer for Cashmere Mist perfume by Donna Karan, which is weird -- must be a skin chemistry thing.  I normally don't amp vanilla but for some reason it's really aggressive in this blend on me.  AND, I normally amp oudh for better or worse and it's just not showing up for me. Drydown:  I really wish I got more of the leather/musk thing; it sort of settles into a vanilla skin musk lightly woodsy/woodflower/dark fruit thing on me.  It's lovely but I was expecting something a bit more earthy.  To that end, I layered it up with Man in Black Hair and Beard Oil, and it was like night and day!  The deeper notes in that really woke up the oudh, leather, and indigo in this and brought everything into sharper focus.  OTOH maybe the bottle just needs some time to rest?