Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Ambergris, tea roses, vanilla silk, white sandalwood, labdanum, and red currant.

In the bottle I get a bright juicy currant with a smooth undercurrent of a cola scent that I want to say is labdanum. It's coquettish and flirtatious, bright and sweet. The innocence belies it's sensual promise. On the skin, the currant fades back and I detect a well blended evening time scent, the labdanum weighing down the currant. As it dries, the dusty and tannic scent of sandalwood ground the otherwise sultry blend. But don't be too put off, it only calms down for a little bit. After an hour it recedes and I'm left with a gorgeous and elegant headiness, the ambergris grounds it while the vanilla silk seems to hold close to the skin, just a hint of rose peeking through. Hours later it's like I'm lounging in the silky bedsheets of a gorgeous woman, vanilla and rose the dominant notes with the barest hint of currant. Very close to the skin, creamy and smooth, enchanting and sweet.

Glad I splurged for a bottle of this, it goes from juicy to dry to creamy and stays interesting and alluring the entire time.

Edited by NebulaKnitter

I've been having a lot of luck with tea roses as a note lately, so I picked up a decant of this one! Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work for me. The tea roses are there, and they are faint and tame. The ambergris i think is adding a faintly salty skin musk quality, there is also a kind of dominating powdery sweet-smelling thing that I'm not liking. Not sure which note is contributing to that. Maybe the labdanum? Only a whisper of the juicier red currant comes through for me. Like really really quiet whisper. The vanilla silk and white sandalwood are like a blanket for everything else to rest on. It's nice and quite fitting of the painting it was inspired by, but I'm probably not the person this blend was made for!

I am not sure why, but a dark perfume oil inspires me. I just feel prepared to enjoy it. Something feels luxurious about it.

in vial this is currant and vanilla dominant. I was expecting some roses, but no. Very light currant and vanilla.

On skin, the ambergris takes hold. Its casually salty and somehow sultry. I am not a fan of sandalwood and here I find its somewhat powdery. Oh! Theres the rose on dry down. Its soft and pale…

labdanum Is a problematic note for me, but I can not perceive it here.

Sadly, the vanilla silk and pretty currant are fleeting top notes for me. I am left with a ambergris and tea rose blend thats like a lighter, softer, Mabel.

Not sure I need more than the decant but am very glad to have that.

Edited by Missanneshirleyofgg

Really creamy vanilla and roses in the bottle, with a touch of fruitiness.  On my skin it's a little muskier with the ambergris coming out, and that beautiful vanilla gets a little more pronounced as well. The rose is soft and creamy, smells like white rose to me. The fruitiness hangs in the background still. This feels like a champagne-less cousin to The Waltz to me. Like an afternoon tea vs a ball. 

I have been wearing and loving this for a while and am just now realizing why it smells soooo familiar: Inez. This smells extremely similar to Inez from CD on me. I love it. Very amber. Very haute.

The Robeky Venus is a cousin to Imose-Yama, to my nose. It's the same tea rose, and I even get a similar tang to this that I do from the fleur-de-lait in Imose-Yama, only it's more subdued here. It stays that way for a long time, a vanilla-ed rose with a tang to it, but then it becomes more resinous as time goes on as the amber-y labdanum takes the center stage. It is not a cola-y labdanum, though, and the ambergris makes this smooth around the edges. I didn't get any distinct currant to this, but maybe it was blending with the jammy sort of rose.

I enjoy this, but I'm not sure I would wear it over Imose-Yama. Still, I'm really happy I got to try it, and I would recommend it to those who would like the rose from that scent, but more sophisticated, and less gourmand.