Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Black Cherry, Vanilla Bean, and Champaca

I was really hoping for sexy, dark, juicy cherry, vanilla cream, and sultry champaca like in the "Dark Chocolate, Madagascar Vanilla, Haitian Vetiver, Benzoin and Champaca" blend. 
What I'm getting is intensely strong, sour, tart, black cherry candy powder, Fritos chips, and mall headshop incense (the cheap kind).  I really wish that the vanilla would come through, because this is such a dry, sour scent that could really use some creaminess or juiciness. 
Sour candy powder and dusty incense.

In the bottle I get juicy black cherries and that persists when it is wet on my skin. It makes my mouth water!

As it dries the vanilla begins to appear, and then the champaca, and the juicy cherries are almost gone.

Once dry, all I get is vanilla and champaca, no cherries at all :(

I've been coveting the few drops that are left of my decant of one of the Lab's older cherry scents, and I was really hoping the black cherry and vanilla bean in this one would make this trio like a cousin to that scent. Alas. This is a trio for champaca lovers, not cherry lovers. It does start off strong with a blast of black cherry (that at one point does lean slightly medicinal, but veers out of that territory pretty quickly), but once that dies down, the champaca emerges and shoves it aside. It's like champaca incense, not the floral champaca. The cherry is still present, but it is much lighter than it was initially. The vanilla bean peeks out after a while, but the scent is pretty light on my skin by that point, and it is not as strong as the champaca or the whiff of cherry that remains by the end of the day.

This one isn't for me, sadly.

This is a lovely dark cherry backed by faint vanilla for me, and the cherry actually sticks it out pretty well compared to other cherries I've worn from the lab. Very bold up front of course, and 8 hours later a faint trace remains on my forearm, but it fared better as an under the clothes type of scent. I don't get a ton of champaca, weirdly, since that is often a louder note on my skin. I'm neither here nor there on this blend, but if I were more into cherries I would put a bottle in a drawer somewhere, to encourage the vanilla.

Black cherry and some dirty champaca. This ends up very halls cough syrup on me. Medium throw and wear length. 

Edited by zankoku_zen