Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

I Am As Lyght As Byrde In Bowe

A hawk in flight: white sage, tonka bean, orris root, cinnamon bark, patchouli root, feather-light vanilla absolute, russet benzoin, myrrh, champaca, and incense smoke.

I really wanted to like this - I like sage, tonka, cinnamon, vanilla, myrrh - and in the bottle it's a sort of soft smoky spice mix, which is promising...

...somehow, on my skin, this turns to soap. A very nice, luxurious, clean-smelling sort of spa soap, and I wouldn't be mad at it if, y'know, this was a soap scent in my bathroom! But, yep, it's definitely soap. The husband concurs. Maybe I'll try it in a scent locket or oil warmer and see if any of the soft spice from the bottle sticks around...

Mostly sage, tonka, and champaca for me over the background chorus of notes, which did not turn out to be a very loud group. A fleeting flight for this hawk.

This is so interesting! You never know what will come out in a blend like this with so many potentially loud players. The sage certainly speaks above all the other notes, especially at the beginning, but it's not a cologney sage. I would call this a true herbal sage, a snappy desert green with a hint of dust to it. If sage usually reads as soap to you, you may find that to be true here, because it's such a sage-dominant blend.

For the other notes, I'll tell you my impressions rather than trying to isolate each note. This smells to me like the child of Sin (yessss) and Black Tower, plus some fizzy other blend that I can't recall at the moment. I get Sin's deep cinnamon spiciness, Black Tower's decaying stone note, and a dry fizzy seltzer. It reminds me a bit of how labdanum can be really fizzy sometimes. I wasn't expecting that at all in this blend, so I'm really thrown off by it.

The other note that stands out a lot to me during drydown is champaca. A white and powdery toastiness begins invading the sagefest, and lingers with the fizz after the sage has mostly left the building. Of course, orris is almost certainly helping to make champaca MORE white and powdery, and the tonka and vanilla contribute to the feathery incense. Champaca is tricky for me to wear, and it proves so here.

If you really loved Eve w. Sage, you might love this one! Fans of fizzy blends that aren't specifically foody should also give I Am As Lyght a whirl. Overall, this is a unisex, lightly herbal option with a small but focused throw that would be very wearable at work. It's not quite my cup of tea, but I appreciate the use of sage here!

Relatively cool morning and a weekend spent outdoors make me happy to start this one out for the season. At first test, it was gorgeous but too heavy for 95 degrees. But now I'm ready!

It's a wonderfully sweet unisex and work-appropriate blend that my nose reads alternately as sage-forward cologne (yep, as @starbrow guessed, I prefer my Eve with the Sage Fuck Up ;) ) and a warm, sweet earthy vanilla. I get no cinnamon really, in smell or in the burning effect it tends to have on my skin. YAY! It's sophisticated but still has a wild feel to it.

Great throw. Maybe that's how the feathery bit comes across. I don't care much for powdery smells, and myrrh can be an offender for me in this respect, but I'm not getting that here. Soap neither, which is also a tendency of mine that I wish wasn't. None of that here! Just a cloud of warm, ethereal, herbal sweetness.

There's something lightly autumnal about this blend to me the imp. There's a freshness from the sage, but something about the cinnamon and patch makes me think autumn. On my skin the sage is even more prominent and the blend is overall much fresher and has a clean edge to it. I can pick out a bit of vanilla but the notes blend very well.