Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ebonykawai

Darkness

Bottled gloom; the essence of oblivion. Blackest opium and narcissus deepened by myrrh.

So *that*'s what opium smells like! This is the first blend that didn't have anything else to beat out the opium. In the background, narcissus and myrrh seem to be fighting over who gets to be with opium; they refuse to share. Eventually they all tire out and tone down enough to coexist peacefully. I can smell all three notes quite distinctly, but they blend wonderfully. That said, I can't decide whether I actually *like* the scent of opium. It's a very well-named blend, but it'll take some getting used to.

In Bottle: Very black-smelling, appropriately.

Wet on skin: Lighter than before... with floral notes coming out, which I do not think is going to work...

Dried down: Almost powdery, but still intense. Sadly, still reminds me of one of my Grandmother's perfumes... Just better, and muskier. This is actually quite a nice skin fragrance - subtler than it seems at first, like incense clinging to hair after leaving a satanic church. Probably very nice on men - though sadly I don't have one of those wandering around to test it on.

Decision: Swap, I think. The narcissus isn't for me.

This sharp, heady scent smells like I've just opened an old trunk full of feather boas and velvet and sequin dresses. It's a very traditional, glamourous and feminine perfume.

On someone, it's the scent of a femme fatale.

On me, however, it's the scent of a little girl who has splashed her mother's perfume all over herself. It's a shame, but this scent is for a lady who is older and far more sophisticated than I.

Oh, wow. This is an amazing scent. I would like it to be noted that I am the eternal hater of most florals, so it's pretty incredible that I'd like *any* floral...

In the bottle: fresh, somber flowers (must be narcissus).

On my skin: fresh, sweet but yet dark flowers. This 'aint your Grandma's floral.

After about 15 minutes: This really softens a lot and turns into a really sexy, smoky floral. A very heavy, mornful scent in tone but that doesn't give me a headache. This remarkably doesn't turn soapy on me, but just remains, mysterious. It's a hard scent to describe, but I just have to say that it's wonderful. It's not something I'd normally wear, but it really suits a dark mood well.

In the imp: slighty smoky floral.

Wet: Oh, there is my friend myrrh :P

Dry: I was afraid that this would be too floral for me, but the myrrh and opium come out as the oil dries down. This is gorgeous and perfect for winter.

Ack! The opium is strong in this, bitter and smoky. I was hoping the narcissus would temper the opium, but instead the myrrh intensifies the smoke. This is definitely a gloomy scent, but grittier than I expected. It makes my eyes water.

Edited by Voleuse

Darkness .. I was very skeptical about trying this one .. in the imp it looked so dark and forboading .. and finally I decided to put it to the test and wow !! Its is a very dark sultry scent .. the opium playing out first and the morphing into the myrrh and drying down to the sweet narcissus .. this is melancholy in a bottle ! i :P Darkness !!

on a side note I tried layering this with a touch of "O" .. yummy !

opium and narcissus with an undertone of myrrh. A beautiful perfume, but I'm not a narcissus fan and it's not something I'd ever wear. Also, this stuff has throw! I'm wearing six different scents on different parts of my forearm and narcissus is the only thing I can smell right now.

This made my skin lovely and soft in the area that I applied it. I can tell that on someone else, this would be dead sexy.

In vial: opium and narcissus. Something sweet and smoky.

Wet: opium smoke. This is opium incense.

drydown: opium incense with just a touch of florals. I'm not sure if I like this or not.

First on, the narcissus overwhelmed the other notes. I'm not happy.

About an hour later - if I bury my nose in my skin, I get a faint floral, soapy smell. Otherwise, nothing.

Try as I might, I just can't picture darkness with this oil... just greyness. Upon first sniff, it's light and sad. Narcissus is the biggest scent. Wearing it, opium, and more opium, comes through. I think every now and then I get the hint of myrrh, but it's so light, maybe I'm imagining it. The opium and floral notes balance for quite awhile, but eventually floral takes over. Luckily it didn't get soapy on me.

I imagine a sad bouquet of white flowers peering through thick opium smoke. I wish this was less floral, BUT- as far as florals go, this is a good one. I think I'll experiment with more opium scents before deciding on this one.

In the imp: Narcissus

Wet: Narcissus. Luckily narcissus is a floral I get on with quite well.

Drydown: Predominantly narcissus. As it dries it becomes periously close to being soapy which surpised me as none of the listed notes in this have ever done that before on me. But just when I think it's going to turn to soap a smoky note appears and makes the narcissus back off a little.

Dry: About 30 minutes after putting it on the opium and to a lesser extent the myrrh really make their presence felt. It's a dry smoky incensy perfumed narcissus, and absolutely lovely. More than lovely, it's intoxicating and rather sexy too, in a languid heavy lidded way. Actually it brings to mind the old time Hollywood movie stars, like Greta Garbo, with the smoky eye makeup and dark red lipstick. Wonderful, and I cannot stop sniffing my wrist.

....and at about the hour mark it turns into powder. *cries and wails and stomps feet*

I don't know what made it turn into powder, unless there's some amber hiding in it. I've never had problems with myrrh or narcissus, and although my experience with opium is limited it didn't turn on me in Blood Countess. In any case I am very sad about this, because that smoky incensy narcissus was absolutely gorgeous and so very me.

OOOH! :P Me no like!

This is almost all opium on me. Which, if I'm honest, I'm not too fond of.

It smells very much like a perfume shop counter perfume from the old days, which I suppose where the commercial scent "Opium" comes from.

Now....I'm not that familiar with Narcissus, but there's definatley no Myrrh...

Very perfumey and something that my nan would wear.....it should not have been caled Darkness in my opinion....

No 5ml for me.................. :D

In the bottle: Sweet, but a watery sweetness, nothing thick or sugary about it. Very strong. Not dark at all though. A bit like "Old lady" perfumes that I've smelled.

Wet: Oh gods! That wet sweetness is still there and it's brought reinforcements! I can't get past it to find anything hiding underneath. Just sweet "Old lady" that's stronger than ever. Is this opium perhaps? If so I think we're going to have a rocky relationship lol.

Dry: The same as wet really. All I'm getting is this damned sweetness. Nothing dark whatsoever. I can't even fool myself into picking up a faint "hint" of anything else.

Later: The only addition to the sweetness of before is a *slight* incense. It seems to try and "fight" the sweetness but is severely overwhelmed and loses.

Final Verdict:

I'm really quite sad. The description of Darkness had my hopes up that if all went well, it could be my "signature" scent. But this just doesn't work right for me I guess. So very very floral and "Old Lady". If I had a grandmother I liked I'd give it to her lol.

Bottle: strong and heavily perfumed, like a little old lady. I can smell the myrrh, since I am getting used to finding that note in things (I am a bit worried about it since I've found myrrh does not like me).

Self wet: Myrrh…lots and lots of it. No floral at all.

A bit later (I think about fifteen-twenty minutes): Myrrh went stale so now I smell like old perfume that got dusty. I can kind of smell this nice background that I assume is the opium and narcissus but it can’t compete. I refreshed to keep scent for a while and lets see if it mellows.

Late later: Nope, still stale perfume. Budd (my hubby) said it is strong and flowery. He shrugged and added that it was "okay". To me that is not a positive vote.

Overall: Myrrh I do not like you either. You keep making blends smell musty and heavily incensed on me.

In the imp: I can definetly smell the narcissus, it seems very floral, although something else, the myrrh I think, is keeping it under control. I'm not really sure what opium smells like, but there is definetly something in the background that I don't recognize, so that could be it.

On, wet: Well, that must be opium. I also smelled band-aid for a second, but it's gone. I'm not sure whether I like it or not, it's kind of medicinal... perhaps narcotic. The myrrh is there, but the narcissus has definetly taken a back seat.

Dry: Yep, incence, smoke and medicine. On the whole, it almost reminds me of a head shop. Little bit strange. But not that bad. I wouldn't call it sexy on me, but it is dark and mysterious. Creative in an 'opium dream' kind of way. I think I'll keep it around.

In the imp: Definitely smells like some kind of incense, a little bit powdery. A bit smokey, but not in an actual smells-like-smoke way, if that makes any sense. Is it the myrrh? :P

On, wet: Still incensy, and heavy and warm. It also smells "smokier" now. There's something floral to it too, but like dark flowers.

Drying: More floral now, and starting to get powdery. Like a darker perfume for older women - that's how I'm feeling about it.

Dry: Mostly powder, with a little bit of smoke and some dark flowers.

Verdict: A generous frimp, it's a nice smell, but not what I was expecting and not the right kind of smell for me. I'd give it a 1.5/5 or so.

This goes on a lovely dark floral, calms into a sexy dark floral, but then after a couple hours turns to baby power. Dark, sexy baby powder, but baby powder nonetheless.

One worth carrying a reapplication for. :P

In the imp, a slightly powdery floral. Whomever said 'old lady perfume' hit the nail on the head.

On my skin, whoa, what a change! This is truly dark, a very brooding floral that isn't quite a floral. Its mostly opium and myrrh on me - the narcissus is just a breath. But its very very nice - I do like this much.

As it dries, I'm getting more narcissus, and its not playing particularly well on my skin. It has a soapy edge that I'm hoping will shoo because I really love this otherwise. Warrants more testing, but I've not lost hope.

I can truthfully say now that Beth is responsible for addicting me to opium! :D First I tried Debauchery, which I hated... and then, abruptly, loved. Now, I've just tried Darkness.

In the imp: Almost pure narcissus.

Wet: Narcissus and opiummmm. :P

Drydown: Darkness falls into that category of oils that lies on top of my skin for a long time before being what I would call "dry." Thus, opium, still tinged with that sharp narcissus, predominates, and then finally sinks to a narcissus-myrrh that's much subtler, but still sexy.

Verdict: Debauchery ended up being a 5ml purchase. Arrgh! Darkness might too, for situations where I want something maybe with less wearlength, but a bit subtler and less likely to leave me actually smelling like I've recently been... well, debauched.

Cold white lilies and the sinuous tendrils of opium; this is sweet without being foody in the slightest. An elegant but very dark and twisted scent.

"Opium" is an odd scent. It's at once high-pitched but dark. If it were a sound, it would be the upper ranges of a cello – rich and intense, resonant, but in a higher register. As a scent, it is attenuated, eerie, a little mean. It's an exotic ingredient, used to evoke the sensual, strange, and weird, and it does it well, here. When I say this is "light" I mean this is weightless, not that it is bright. It's a clear, perfumey scent, almost traditional.

The lily gives it a funereal tinge, a cool closeness, lent an immediacy by its fleshy odor.

The myrrh is a round, resinous odor, one that blends very well with the opium. Its warmth, its fuzziness, offset the lily's coolness.

The oddest thing . . . this is wonderful . . . the opium is the drift of the moments before sleep, the myrrh is the weight of blanket on body, body on cushion; and the narcissus, the drifting specter of a dream barely tethered.

And all that is just in the bottle.

It goes on with a throw like something has spilled; very powerful. There is an almost burnt element to it up close, the scent of incense strewn on coals and now reduced to crusted resin. Up close, it's stifling, almost savage. A thick, muffling aroma of drifting smoke.

The burnt scent increases . . . this must be the "blackness" in the opium.

It is not unlike a more intensely fuming Chrysanthemum Moon. It has that same air of the exotic and alarming. Darkness is cruel, though, where Chrysanthemum Moon is only fooling about.

I really like this. It's interesting, robust up close but intriguing from a distance, and, if not complicated, certainly deep.

Oooh! In the imp, it is a DAFFODIL OMG smell, which is okay, I guess, but there's flowers I prefer, and frankly, I'm not much of a floral girl anyway. So it was with trepidation that I continued.

Wet on my skin, it seemed actually very spring-y. The daffodils had calmed down a bit, a little bit of spicy that reminded me of paperwhites came out, and I wasn't much fond. I liked the spicy, but this was far to bright for something called "Darkness".

Dry? Oh, sweet fancy Magi in sequinned-green turbans! Now the daffodils are those ghostly white ones, stock still in an overgrown 'Secret Garden'-style walled bit of ground, only slightly lit by the smallest amount od moonlight coming through the enormous tree, supporting a swing too rickety and full of sad memories to bear weight. Actually, I have a short story idea, coming out of this perfume.

Evocative. Nostalgic. Untrustworthy. Gothic. Romantic. Darkness.

5/5 - one of the few florals that make me cheer. Somberly. Very somberly.

Darkness is gorgeous on me. I think I'm getting a lot of narcissus and some myrrh. I wouldn't recognize opium if I smelled it, but this scent is definitely heady. Sophisticated too -- this would be a good recommendation for someone new to BPAL. On me though, Darkness doesn't live up to it's name. It's too bright and warm for that. But I like it just the same.

Edited by whiterosepetals