Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Blacklight Reactive Alice Poster

Black and red currant tarts, opium tar accord, roses painted both white and red, clove-soaked carnation petals, a squeeze of grapefruit, and a whole lot of weed.

(disclaimer: i couldn’t smell any weed in the original BLRP.) 

this is a pleasantly tart and feminine perfume! the tartness is an equal mix of grapefruit and rose that stays at the forefront through the drydown. i’m not sure that i know the smell of currants, carnation, or opium well enough to identify them here, and i’m still not getting any weed at all 🤷‍♀️ it evokes a traditional ladies’ perfume vibe, while also staying playful. very fitting for spring/summer. good throw and staying power as well❤️

The Mad Tea Party line is my favorite GC collection, and it's the one that got me into BPAL, so I had to try this, even though I typically dislike weed scents (with Honeyed Weed and Dandelions being the only weed scent I love).

Blacklight Reactive Alice Poster truly is a melange of notes from the Mad Tea Party collection. At first, I get the red and black currant tarts, reminding me of The Knave of Hearts, accompanied by some rose, opium, and a bit of weed. It's the same weed note found in Honeyed Weed and Dandelions, which is very tame and does not smell dank. Then the grapefruit emerges and becomes one of the main players, and it's like the Cheshire Cat has shoved the Knave aside as it vies for attention. Behind the grapefruit, I smell the currant tarts, roses, and opium. It stays this way for a while, but over time, the opium tar increases in strength, and so does the rose, but the opium tar in particular combined with the currant and grapefruit really make this into a fruity floral that would have mainstream appeal. I don't get the carnation until the end of the day, but it's a pink variety like the one found in High-Strung Daisies, hanging out beneath the opium tar. There is just a wisp of weed far in the background, but again, it is not dank, and it was most prominent when initially applied. If I hadn't been told this contained a weed note, I wouldn't have been able to pick it out.

Although I am not a big fan of fruity florals and prefer flormands or sugary florals, I love how so many notes from the Mad Tea Party line were included in the composition of this scent and really enjoyed this journey through Wonderland (with the beginning being my favorite part). :heart: 

Light on the weed - I couldn't actually detect it by itself, but it's a vibe, you know? This is very Wonderland, a little dark and a little sweet with a sharpness to it, flowers and fruit woven through. It is definitely evocative! And I love Alice in Wonderland, so I was pretty excited about it. On my skin though, the sharpness really drives the scent and it kicked up the beginning of a scent sensitive migraine situation, so I decided it's not for me. Definitely worth a try if you love a Wonderland vibe though!

Like Doomsday Disco said above, The Mad Tea Party collection is what got me hooked on BPAL. I have been a collector of Alice in Wonderland things for a long, long time so I had to buy a bottle of this purely based on that. The weed scents tend to be too intense on me and if I’m going to stank like weed, I’d rather it be from me smoking it.

However, the weed in this does not present as the focus. In fact this may be the loveliest weed perfume ever! I definitely get the Knave of Hearts connection (one of my faves) and as it dries I get the slightly clean, tart aspect of the grapefruit. The drydown is a softly smoky, citrusy and rosey. 

I don't have much experience with BPAL's Mad Tea Party line, although this is definitely making me want to dig out my frimps and pay them some more attention! I didn't expect to fall in love with this scent as much as I did, and I'm so glad I blind-bottled this one. The red currant tarts and grapefruit are the strongest notes for me. On application, the tarts come out beautifully—deliciously sweet with just a little buttery-crust roundness. That recedes relatively quickly, and the grapefruit takes center stage, rounded out by the tarts and florals. I'm not really getting any weed at all—maybe the tiiiiiiiniest bit as it wears down. Overall this is a very fun, spunky scent that I know I'll be getting a lot of use out of in the warmer weather.

I decided to try this because it was such a wild blend of notes. Wet, I get a burst of grapefruit juice, tangy and bright. It calms down as the perfume dries and I get a lovely spread of florals and creamy fruit tarts. The florals aren't too overwhelming, and I'd say it's a bouquet of picture-perfect roses with a few carnations stuck in. The tarts are creamy and seem to be more of the red currant variety. Cutting through the florals and tarts is a heady swirl of opium and weed. It's not as sharp as the lab's opium notes can be and it plays very nicely with the rest of the perfume. The weed adds a green note that balances the sweetness of the other notes. It's not very dank or identifiable as weed unless you know what you're looking for, so I'd feel all right wearing this in public.

My overall impression is that this smells like an afternoon tart break at a rose garden in Wonderland. The caterpillar is there and the garden is clouded with whatever fun concoction is packed in his hookah. It's sweet and fun, I'm glad I nabbed a decant.

This one had me at currant tarts, but I'm not getting any of the pastry aspect of the tart. The predominant notes for me are the roses, the tartness of the grapefruit, and the opium, with a backdrop of currants and a touch of spice. I'm surprised at how nice and not especially dank it is - very easy to wear. I definitely want to hide it in a drawer and come back to it in Winter to see what develops. 

This basically smells like Alice and a tiny whiff of hemp. So yeah, Alice and if what the Caterpillar was smoking was weed, which maybe explains the weirdness afterwards? Maybe it doesn't. Medium throw and wear length.