Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Labdanum, Red Musk, Scorched Vanilla

This is an instant favorite. The vanilla note smells lightly burnt, scorched but not enough to have the intense acrid smell of something burning/burnt and it remains light and sweet, Once dry, the red musk swirls with the vanilla and the labdanum is mild and keeps everything grounded. I am glad I bought a bottle, I may get a back up of this!😍

This is lovely! 😍 It's a very sweet, smooth red musk with a sweet labdanum (not the sour kind) and a gorgeous vanilla. The scorched vanilla note is a little ethereal, in that it's not very strong (not like butterscotch or caramel or smoke), but does have a lightly scorched scent . . . Kind of like a lightly charred marshmallow but without the mallow. The vanilla weaves in and out of the scent, subtle but bolstering the sweetness of the other notes. 

This is gorgeous in the bottle, but perhaps predictably, on my skin I get red musk.  It's accompanied by yummy cola labdanum at the beginning and a slight charred note, not identifiable on me as vanilla, but once it's dry, it's basically the red musk show with a hint of smoke.  I'm hanging onto my decant to see if time will balance the notes out somewhat and allow the vanilla some play, but given red musk's history with my skin chemistry, I'm not hopeful. 

This is a very pretty and well behaved red musk for me, but the red musk does dominate on my skin. I get red musk with sweet cola incense. Not getting much scorch. The blend weirdly reminds me of a femme-leaning head shop / used record store type scent. 

*swoon*

i love bloody corridor, and that was my first thought when i tried this.  similar dragon’s blood-type red musk, and the "scorched" part of the vanilla is a dead ringer for bloody corridor's blackened vetiver.  elevating those notes is a gorgeously sweet, syrupy labdanum.  a lovely vanilla blooms as it settles on the skin, smoothing everything out and giving it a creamy softness. on me, the notes all pull just about equal weight. 

absolutely hoard-worthy as it is, but this is gonna age like a boss. 

Edited by MamaMoth

Really beautiful, I'm getting all the notes pretty much equally.  I agree with others that the "scorched" part is really subtle.  Overall it's a really light scent on me but in a good way, just about the throw level that I like best.  I think the combination of notes is creating this illusion of a lightly spiced scent.  

Another one I'm considering a backup of...

This one starts off heavily musky and resinous, with the sharp, medicinal quality I tend to get from labdanum. No trace of vanilla in the decant. As it dries down, the medicinal edge of the labdanum calms down and the vanilla starts to come out. The vanilla isn't noticeably smoky (the red musk and labdanum are still stronk and might be drowning the scorched aspect out), but it does moderate the musk and labdanum and soften the scent a little bit. This one started off a bit too aggressive for me, but it ends as a heady, vanilla-sweetened red musk. Not the kind of thing I'd wear often enough for a bottle, but I could see grabbing the decant for special occasions.

This trio is a blend for red musk connoisseurs (which I'm not, but wth).

Pleasantly scorched red musk with an undercurrent of resinous darkness. Scorched, yet not ambiently smoky. Until the red musk stomps out any of the scorched/labdanum nuance on my skin, like a rhino trying to put out a fire.

I wouldn't say this blend is feral... exactly... but it's at least assertive. The faintly spiced quality of red musk even seems a little stronger here, compared to some other red musk blends.

But yeah, it's red musk and this is a red musky perfume. It boldly occupies a space within red musk parameters.

(Can you tell this is my friend's decant and I'm not a red musk person? I shall post this anyway, with that disclaimer.)

I full bottled this immediately because these are three of my favorite notes, but then I wasn't really wowed by it, so I've let it rest for a few months.  I'm still not in love with it, though.  I think I wanted the red musk and vanilla to be stronger, richer and sweeter than they are, and for the labdanum to not be as powdery and dry as it is.  I get mostly a powdery amber labdanum with hints of sour evergreen and a red musk that's lightly sweet and also slightly metallic on my skin.  I don't smell anything smoky or scorched and if there's vanilla here, it's just a touch of subtle creaminess and not anything that really stands out from the blend.  The powdery, woody amber tones and hint of sour funkiness remind me of being in old barns full of dusty hay and the memory of animals.

Edited by Little Bird