Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ipb

Arachne

...A gossamer scent, as light as a spider’s footfall, touched with sighing mists: pallid flowers, dusty woods and soft herbs.

in the imp – soft green!! spring on a sunny hill of long grasses and flowers, i may be falling in lover. . .

wet - this is a sweet and light perfect mix of floral and herb. but not too strong, just a careful and delicate mingling of notes.

dry-down – a few herb notes pop out to become more prominent, and there is one that i cook with all the time, but every time i go to name it, it slips away from me. arg! perhaps sage, which would account for the earthiness of the scent. there is also a vaguely peppery note that comes in after a couple hours. sadly, through is not as strong as i would like, and the scent is so delicate, it doesn’t last beyond four hours on me.

verdict – i think i’m going to keep working through this imp, and probably convince myself to order a 5ml. . .

Aww man I wanted to love this one so much, but sadly it's a little too herby for my skin.

Beth's managed to capture a great concept though. This is, indeed, a scent evocative of goassamer spider webs hanging in a dewy herb garden :P

Surprisingly fruity. Had to check that I hadn't opened High John. I just can't place the fruit, though I am thinking of grapes and possibly something else to make it sweet. Plum? There's a very slight floral undertone.

Fruit as died down, and now I'm getting more of the soft florals and herbs.

Ends up as still slightly fruity with florals. Not really the spider webs until well past the dry down, but still a keeper.

Arachne is a chilly floral scent with lots of herbs. At first I thought there was some citrus...maybe a touch of verbena? I can smell the woods too. Pretty scent but not something I would wear. I don't know what florals are in it but they're not any of the ones I like.

When I first applied this to my skin, I got juicy watermelon bubblegum. Egh.

Then I caught a whiff of the nastiness that is the carnation note (on my skin).

Suddenly, it turned into a wonderful meadowy scent memory. My family once went to Ohme Gardens, and there is a section where you intentionally walk on groundcovering plants, because they release fragrance, etc. That is what Arachne smells like to me. For a while Yankee Candle made an English Meadow scent that was also just like this, but since they discontinued it I have been searching for it forever. Here it is!

Wet: Wood and herbs to start, a little bitter.

Dry: Flowers come out and it starts to throw.

Finish: All flowers.

Duration: Goes faint fairly quickly, not much throw after the first half hour.

Not bad, but not outstanding. Into the swap pile for someone more appreciative to enjoy.

Hmmm. Slightly green but not too much. There's some floral in it but it smells a little bubblegummy so I wonder if it's lotus. For a couple of seconds it went WAY green all of a sudden, but then that disappeared. Then my skin went mental because for some reason I smelled cinnamon. Then it went back to that herby bubblegum scent partnered with something slightly aquatic. It ended up being dusty (not quite powdery, but almost), herby, and more than a little sharp. This all happened within ten minutes, and then the whole shebang faded out almost entirely.

I have no idea what this oil is up to. Obviously it's trying to fool me with some mischievous trickery.

In the vial: Like silver, if silver had a scent. Clean, light, bright, mystical.

Wet: It must be something floral, but it doesn't smell flowery. Like snow and silver threads also.

Dry: Starting to go a bit claylike so it might not be a bottle. There is also a very VERY vague hint of apple.

Arachne goes to clay and play-dough on me. :P I loved it so in its earlier stages. Maybe I'll try it in a scent locket and see if the problem is just my skin.

Arachne is a perfect example of what my skin does with even a hint of something that might resemble a note that might once have flirted with an aquatic in a past life.

In the bottle, she's all sweet soft flowers - similar to the ones hiding behind all the wintergreen in Hamadryad - and herbs. On my skin, she bursts into nothing but a water note - a light, rainy scent instead of one of the heavier thick aquatics, but still water.

That aside, I really like this. The overall impression kind of wavers between a light pale wood-and-floral and a watery, almost cottony little-girl perfume. Sometimes the herbs come out to play, with a light tanginess and a hint of woodspice.

Yes, despite the rainy effect, I very much like Arachne.

Ahh! This iws very nostalgic. It smells like tropical bubblegum in the bottle and wet on the skin. A very bright and sweet scent. It reminds me of the colour yellow, daffodils and fresh mangoes for some reason. It IS delicate for some reason but I can't pinpoint why... yet.

As it dries on the skin, a sort of pine note comes through and takes away the yellowness in this scent and turns it softer and more gold, it has a sweet hum though. It doesnt smell of bubblegum anymore but it is more subdued and mild, very relaxing, it paints a picture of a lazy summer sunset. I can smell a VERY tiny hint of freshly cut wood amongst the golden flowers and delicate pines. It's pretty, a keeper!.

This was a very recent frimp from recent forum sales/decant circle activity, which I received not long before the lab announced that Arachne was to be discontinued ...

In the imp, it's sweet and watery. Kind of pink, in tone. Pale pink and lemon sherbert in colour. Although, there is something in there making me think of sherbert ice or something.

Wet on skin, it smells like what I think this painting's colours should smell like. My piano teacher had a print of this hanging over the mantelpiece in her house, I spent a lot of time looking at this waiting for my lesson (: Oh, the scent - hmmm ... softly sweet, light florals and their green stems and leaves.

I think my nose today is translating scents into pictures and colours today, so my impression when dry says ... pink sherbert powder. I feel like I should be wearing a floaty summer dress, frilly ankle socks, mary janes, and a big straw hat with a pink bow tied around it. It's not currently my taste in clothing (except for the mary janes!) ...

I'm *sure* it'll find a better home than here, one day (:

this just got discontinued, and it's one that i've always wondered about...

wet: wet, dewy florals, a little ozoney. it reminds me a bit of neo-tokyo (which is obvious given the common ingredient disappearing act).

dry: dry woodsy notes, fresh airy notes. it's very lovely! too bad it's discontinued. it's one of the few vaguely-ozone scents that have ever appealed to me. so very pretty!

I'm glad I got an imp of this before it became discontinued. It's a pleasant smell although not one of my favorites.

Arachne in the bottle: Very light florals, clean and crisp.

Wet: Still floral to me… reminds me of a toy I used to play with. No idea what it was though. I can't get the scent long enough to complete the association.

Dry: I'm sort of getting cleaning/laundry aisle @ walmart.

Overall: 3 out of 5. A pleasing smell, but, a little too chemical and generic.

In the vial (initial impression):

It does smell like mist! Mist in an ancient woodland, where dreams come alive... *eyes glaze over*

Initially on (wet):

This confuses my nose, because I've never encountered anything like this before - it smells like melon, cucumber, and then something warmer that I can't identify. Not quite vanilla and not quite chocolate, although it does remind me of chocolate milk.

Wearing it (dry):

10 mins later, the scnt remains fresh, but has warmed up a bit. It just feels... warmer. It's quite perplexing.

20 mins after application, it has gone a little more fresh and fruity again, but not overly so. I never expected it to hit me as melon and cucumber scents! It's a very sensational and unexpected scent, but I enjoy it.

After half an hour, it's a better harmony of notes, and a pleasant and dreamscape-like one at that. It remains "gossamer" indeed, and even after an hour it's a peculiar fresh-but-spooky scent.

Finally:

Keeper! This'll be my Serqet/scorpion scent. ^^

(I can't believe this scent was recently discontinued! How very sad...)

Aquatic notes linger over a base of flowers and herbal mint. Very, very pretty in the bottle, and also very sweet. Berrylike, even.

I'm not sure I smell mint in it once it goes on. About all I am sure of is that it's floral, and it's also greenly aquatic. There's some sweet note in here, lotus perhaps, that's almost bubblegum-like. There's also a faint herbal overtone.

It dries to a green floral with a razzy herbal note, and at this phase it's beautiful. It smells like someone else, doesn't smell like me at all, but I like it very much. It's light and ever so slightly powdery – odd, for an aquatic note to go powdery, but there you go, it's an odd scent.

I can recommend this one for people who like florals but are looking for something a little different, fresher, new. This is light and subtle, slightly woody, slightly damp, slightly herbal, and very pretty.

Sweet, soft, and innocent. It's much sweeter than I expected - I thought it would be a more powdery scent. It has an aquatic quality to it, but this is a sugared floral all the way. It's quite bouncy and bright.

It has a strange throw on me - it's almost just a hint of scent, and then a few minutes later it's pretty powerful. It confuses my nose. It stayed close to the skin, but the amping shifted wildly. In the end, it got a touch soapy as some florals will do.

Overall, not for me. Just a touch too sugary for my skin.

This is a very beautiful soft yet sweet scent.Definitely floral.It is colorless.I generally despise woods,yet some of my favorites have what are described as dry or dusty woods,whatever they may be.It also disappears rather quickly.

Juicy sweet fruit and Windex?? wtf. It's a light scent, but something is going wonky on my skin. Totally smells like fruity Windex.

I received a frimp of Arachne from the lab quite a while ago, put it on once and said, "Eh," and put it back into the pile. Today I went digging through the imp pile and put her back on and I remember why I said "Eh" in the first place. Behind the ears, the throw is grape, grape, fruity fruity grape (I am so glad I'm not the only one who smelled this). I love grape, but it needs a little more oomph. On the wrist, the written description is apt and Arachne is pallid, pale, and dusty. The wrist scent makes me think of old books, clothes, and possessions shut away in an old trunk in an attic, perhaps alongside ancient sachets. I'm glad I got to try this oil, but my heart's not broken that is was discontinued.

In the vial - Soft, sweet, and almost dusty. I believe there may be mallow flower in here, or perhaps it's lotus.

Wet on the skin - breathtakingly lovely. Thihs is a very delicate and fragile scent. I think I smell lily of the valley.

Next stages - The belnd bcomes less sweet in the first few minutes of wear, and silvery grey wods begin to emerge, like a spider's web that begins with a single thread and gradually stretches into a complex work of natural art.

Dry down - Oh cruel fate, why do you mock me? After the lovely silvery sweetness of the early stages, Arachne's woody notes darken to a horrible, dirty scent, as if there's somethig rotten below the surface. I'm so disappointed! I may try it in a scent locket but otherwise off to the swaps pile it goes

Similar scents - Empyreal Mist shares some of the floral nop notes, and Shroud has the same ghostly atmosphere and white wood notes.

In the imp: Sweet yet slightly sharp green tinged woods and herbs.

Wet: Very sweet.

Drydown: Bubblegum. Lotus then I'm assuming. And it's getting more bubblegummy every second.

Dry: Bubblegum with a little floral drifting around the edges.

Uh.. no. I don't even like bubblegum, let alone smelling of it.

I don't get grape, or bubble gum out of this. It's very.. soft on me. Very.. faint. Only lasted maybe 3 hours or so. I got a pale kind of floral out of it. Kind of a maybe aquatic to it? So lovely for the summer I think. So very lovely for the summer. I adore this one. I'm glad I've got a second imp of it headed my way.

In Vial: light and sweet

Wet: Smells like wet fruits.

Later: Smells like sweet dried flowers and woods. It is sort of an odd smell that is difficult to describe but not unpleasant, just different.

A reviewer up thread mentioned smelling grapes and there is a very faint grape background. Mostly though I think this smells like a head shop. Quite weak though - almost no throw. I also got a very faint hint of something woody for a second. And pale flowers. This is very beautiful.