Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Yellow amber, lemon peel, Italian bergamot, white grapefruit, cedarwood, golden apple, and mimosa. 

In the bottle this is bright yet delicate, the citrus is fresh and a bit tart but not super bracing. I get lemon and grapefruit with a little bit of apple giving some sweetness underneath. On my skin the amber comes out giving a gorgeous warm base. The citrus notes have a sparkling sort of quality. The apple is present but difficult for me to pick out, it has a tartness that makes it blend well with the citrus notes. I think the mimosa is giving a fresh green-floral aspect to the blend. As it wears I pick up on the cedar but it blends well with the amber in the background. The scent is both fresh and warm and inviting. 

I kinda love this, though it's not something I would have initially picked up.  Sniffing the bottle immediately triggered a childhood memory: scratch n'sniff stickers.  As an 80's kid, I had a fantastic collection, and this smells like either the lemonade one, or the orange juice one.  I can't remember which, but it's yummy.  :D 

I'm really liking this year's lemon note.  Here, it sets Sunrise Kimono apart from more typical grapefruity blends and is the dominant fruit to my nose.  Cedar, which normally doesn't play well with my chemistry but is deciding to behave, and amber add the scratchiness to the sniffiness by adding a fuzzy, warm base.  The fragrance becomes more sharp, tart, and herbal as it dries down on me - mouth puckering and delightful - like some sort of fizzy, adult lemonade.  Don't let my sticker analogy fool you; this smells expensive.  

Edited by VetchVesper

Golden apple, lemon, and mimosa are the first notes that leap out at me, followed by the grapefruit. This stage of the scent is really wonderful and uplifting. Then, the mimosa increases in strength, which is bright, and candy-like, with a slight effervescence and orange juice quality to it (even though it is the flower and not the drink). It ends up making me smell like SweeTarts for a while, and I thought it was going to stay that way, but then the yellow amber emerges. It ends up smelling like a somewhat creamy, citrus-touched (mostly lemon) amber and mimosa with some soft, possibly overripe golden apple. Something during this phase smells a little funky on me -- I think it is the yellow amber combining with that apple note, but I'm not sure. 

I really loved the wet stage of this scent, but I didn't love the the other phases of the scent nearly as much. I'll hold onto the decant to retest this in a few weeks after this has had more time to settle, and if that doesn't work, I may have to try the decant in a scent locket, because the initial application of this one is so lovely!

Of the lemony lupers I've tried this year, this one is the least sweet, and it seems to go somewhat bitter on my skin. I wouldn't normally go for an apple scent, but I don't think that is causing the issue.

Sunrise Kimono opens on me with a burst of bright citrus and warm golden apple. The lemon, bergamot, and apple are coming out strongest, but I find a pretty and clean grapefruit when I look. 

It isn't long before mimosa and a soft cedar make an appearance, both warming the blend further, and the latter adding a little rustic, woodsy something. The grapefruit strengthens, bringing a brisk, almost astringent cleanliness that reminds me of some white tea notes. I actually feel like I'm smelling a little white tea hiding in this sometimes.

I never notice amber, but there are plenty of yellow and other warm tones to this scent. It smells like breakfast-time, and could fit easily anytime from spring through fall.

This is a very woody lemony apple. Sniffing from the bottle, I like it very much, it's all bright and warm, like a sweet perfectly ripe lemon still hanging from the tree. 

But sadly BPAL's lemon is a note that just doesn't work on my skin; just like in Schroedinger's cat, it just turns straight into this car/dishwashing perfume. The cedar and apple are nice, but the lemon is simply too loud

Edited by pommelo

This blend is bright, sweet citrus and apple, both in the decant and on the skin. The amber and cedarwood give a little bit of grounding, but the citrus and apple are the stars here. It's a pretty, bright, and happy scent, but fades super fast on my skin. I'll hang onto my decant, but the short wear time takes this out of bottle territory for me.