Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lemon blossom and spearmint with muguet, cedarwood, amber musk, yellow bergamot, and magnolia blossoms. 

First impression:

I really thought I could not go wrong with this scent, but there is something sour and unfortunate when it is wet. It hits the back of my throat in a way that reminds me of something sickly. Not decay, but maybe poo adjacent. Hoping drydown gets better.

I definitely get lily of the valley. No mint at all. None of the other notes yet really.

Edited by wickedcookie

This one took a few tests for me to form an opinion on, and definitely needed some rest after travels. In the bottle I can only describe this as harsh. The florals are so heady and indolic they almost lose their floral quality. I think the cedar might be adding to this strange dryness. I can feel it in the back of my throat when I sniff. Wet the amber musk comes in and smooths the florals a bit, but it is still Big White Florals. It's really rich and makes me think a perfume my mom used to wear. As it dries I can start picking out the mint and cedar. It's a nice scent, but the scent in the bottle/freshly on is definitely intense. I will definitely let this one settle for a few more weeks to see how it changes. 

Lemon blossom, cool spearmint, muguet, and magnolia are the first notes I get from this, followed by the amber musk and a bit of cedar. The muguet combined with either the amber musk or cedar is causing a little funk. The funk calms down after a bit and the lemon blossom and spearmint continue to take the lead, backed by the florals, but the amber musk seems to be gaining strength with time. After a while, the spearmint fades away, and the floral notes calm down, and it mostly becomes a sharp lemony bergamot amber scent on me. 

The initial phase of this scent is drastically different than the end result on me, but I wasn't particularly fond of either. The wet stage is a little funky, the middle one lacks the funk but is a little odd until the spearmint disappears, and then the final morph makes this such a sharp citrusy amber on me that I know I wouldn't chose this over the other two Shungas featuring lemon and amber that I tested today (Penis Bound with Gold Ribbon and Sunrise Kimono). I had to try this one because of the artwork, but alas, it's just not jiving with me.

Edited by doomsday_disco

This has rested for a week or two so it’s probably ready for me and…

I… what? Body odor? 

Sniffsniffsniffsniff

This is a nice little vial of skin-soft, indolic BO that I have donned freshly showered. On my friend’s skin, much the same. Eventually, we glimpse a little magnolia wallowing in the body vibe.

But, you see, on the wand, it’s more… fresh lemon flowers, cedar, and a breath of mint.  That is the dream of this perfume before it meets our skin.

Lol. So... I actually like this one. BUT my mom, who loves florals, said it smelled like dirty panties. 😬

I think the indoles are to blame for the funk, which I do sometimes get a whiff of from the bottle, but on my skin, I never get that impression. It's a musky, sensual, white floral (mostly magnolia) with a husky depth from a well-behaved cedar and a hint of floral lemon. 

Interestingly, my friend got funk in the bottle but thought it smelled fine on her skin. However, when I smelled her wrist, I got more funk than I got from the bottle.  Tricksy!  

I've had several male friends smell it and say it's fine. So... I got no idea. Wear at your own risk, I guess. I'll keep my decant as I think it smells nice on me. But it does smell a bit raunchy, sexy, animalic. I'm guessing this one is going to depend a lot on personal taste and probably isn't work appropriate. 😉

The opening is not for the faint hearted. It takes around 30 min for the funkiness to calm down. In the end i get muted magnolias over a woody musky base with some distant funk echoes in the background. Proceed with caution!

On first application - oh no, what have I done? Foot funk, musty funky funky body funk...but....15 mins later - beautiful, creamy magnolia surrounds me and is hanging on. It's worth the funky part to feel like I'm sitting in a magnolia bloom. 

A little goes a long way with this one.  I looked prior and noticed lemon and mint, so I thought it wouldn’t be strong.  It doesn’t smell like lemon, so it really is the blossom here.  So strong, I almost scrubbed it off.  In the end, I’m getting honey honey honey and mint.  It is reminding me of Gennivre, but missing the tea element.  It’s ok, but not really my thing.

These notes should have been a slam dunk for me, but in the decant, the citrus and mint notes blend with the cedar (maybe also the musk or magnolia?) in a way that has an unpleasant, musty funkiness to it. As it dries down, the funkiness dies down and the cedar comes forward. The end result on my skin is a dry cedar with hints of citrus and cool mint in the background. The end stage is pleasant, but I'm not going to brave the musty beginning stage often enough for a full bottle's worth.