Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Honeyed Mushroom and Incense

When the Luper's dropped, I promised I'd leave them alone until I finished my Weenies order, then Yule. But I saw this one & died. I mostly got it for the IDEA of it, the mushroom & incense (I am sucker for resin blends; mushrooms also but more for the fascinating way they ARE, not taste or smell, & also because of a story game where mushrooms are everywhere & so I have gotten fond of them). So, I caved & got this. 

It's just recently arrived, so I will update this in a few days or weeks, but it is shockingly lovely. The honey is very present in the bottle, but it's so earthy & soft. The mushroom is calming that sometimes sweet-sugar-scream honey can have. The incense is also really soft. Like the kind you find in places of mediation. It reminds of one of my Astier de Villatte incenses (I can't remember which) that was a dry scent with the whiff of flowers that could fall into indole territory, but hasn't on me. I am hopeful it'll be a lovely backdrop to what is turning our to be a really great honey note.

Edited by TheLampades
I can't spell

Wow. A total morpher. On first hitting the skin, this one was...aromatic. (Not necessarily in a good way :PIt went to savory umami place that, along with the honey, was a little unfortunate. It reminds me too strongly of cooking dinner, with the thickness of honey bringing in a lot of contrast of fungus v. sweetness. A dirty mushroom combined with honey, yikes! Even though the honey is a pretty toned-down version, it's still thick and sweet, which makes the *earthiness* of the mushroom stand out even more. The wet stage was a big fat no for me.

But once it dries, the incense that wafts up is so pretty and classic that I keep going in for more sniffs. It seems to have almost nothing to do with the wet stage! The odor of mushroom dirt burns off, as does the honey, and leaves a dry woody incense that might be frankincense/sandalwood, given how characteristically incensey it smells. Gorgeous. It stays close to the skin, mellow and a little smoky/spicy.

I didn't think I needed a bottle (or any!) when I first applied, but after living it for a couple of hours, I definitely do. This was a surprising win!

Pleasantly surprised by this one! I've always been interested in a mushroom perfume, but they usually end up too earthy/damp on me. This one is really nice!  Each note is subtle yet beautifully blended. The honey is just enough to keep it from being too musty. The incense is light yet comforting, and the mushroom is very grounding. This is probably going to be a great meditation/yoga scent, if that's your scene. If you're interested in mushroom but wary of the damp quality it can have, I'd encourage you to give this one a try.

I don't know if I'll need a full bottle but I'll keep the decant!

I was really hype to try this one, but falls a bit short for me. When freshly applied, the rich earthy mushroom is the star, but it fades dramatically as it dries, and honeyed incense takes over. It's a lovely soft skin scent, not overly smoky or sweet, and I'd actually recommend it to folks who are hesitant to try a mushroom scent :) 

This is heavy on the incense (is that fucking nag champa ruining the party again?), and light on the honey and mushroom. 

wow.  mushroom.  i was expecting something like death cap, maybe mildly earthy.  but nope, that's mushroom alright.  as my brother-in-law would say, that smells like folks.  mild honey, incense smoke, and earthy-umami-savory-salty mushroom. you know when you forget about a bag of mushrooms in the back of the fridge, and then you find them, open the bag, and they're all slimy where they've been stewing in their own juices?  yeah, like that.  with honey.  it's kinda repellant, but weirdly compelling too. i keep going back in for sniffs. 

eventually the mushroom fades back, and this morphs into mostly honeyed incense with a bit of a savory/earthy thing happening on the back end, that anyone else might not necessarily clock as mushroom. but since i'm still recovering from having just been slapped in the face with a sack of pungent shrooms, i recognize it for the funky little beast it is. but it's actually pretty nice now. 

still, i won't be needing a bottle. but i wouldn't be surprised if i trot my decant out occasionally just to ride the ride. 

Edited by MamaMoth

A beautiful earthy blend. The mushroom and incense meld really well. It's earthy round and warm with a beautiful sweetness from the honey. 

Funky fungal honey. This one is a roller coaster where it starts off as funky fungal dirt notes and then dries to a more honeyed note. Still sort of dirty. Medium throw and wear length.