Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Cacao, Black Leather, and Incense

OOh.. this is good. Sniffing in the bottle, I get all the scents... the cacao, leather and incense. It is a nice even blend of all three. On my skin, the leather jumps out first. Heavy BLACK leather! Not a sweet loving suede! After it dries down it mellows out quite a bit. I detect mostly the leather and incense. The cacao is in the background keeping this from being too heavy, which is good. I was nervous it would be a huge in-your-face kind of scent. This is a scent to wear out on the town... not in the office! :)

Cacao is present in the bottle and when freshly applied, but leather jumps forward and cacao recedes to the background. Then after it dries I get muted black leather and ...champaca incense? The incense ends up having the most throw, but it feels weirdly out of place.

I think I have a skin chemistry thing happening with the leather, and mistook that for a mismatched incense note. The leather gets weird and then kinda disappears, and the cacao had already peaced out, so I'm left with an odd incense situation. Hope this one works better for others!

Edited by LavenderCoffee

Wet, this is all about the black leather on me. The cacao is bitter and dark, kind of reminding me of the chocolate in A Chocolate Cat or Muddy Armadillo, but it's not super prominent. I'm not a huge incense fan, so I can't really describe what kind of incense it smells like, but it is sweet. As the perfume dries, the incense comes out more, competing with the black leather for the spotlight.

The whole perfume makes me think of a wizard going through a goth phase, someone arcane wearing leather boots and a big leather trenchcoat. The black leather note is making me swoon, so I might have to acquire a bottle. 

Smells like harsh tea tree oil for about 15 minutes and the settles down to a mainly leather scent. I wouldn't consider this smokey! It smells like sweet leather

In the decant: Cacao and sharp black leather.

On my skin:

Wet, while the leather does come through, it's the cacao that first blooms on my skin. As it dries, though, it's a lot of black leather coming up. I can still smell the cacao near my skin -- and a bit of smoky incense there too -- but it's the leather that by far dominates the throw.

Um. I had high hopes for this one, and I might still sit with it a little while and retest the decant after it's had time to age. But right now, it's too much screeching leather and too absent on the other notes for me.

Kerosene?

I can tell this is meant to be the black leather, but this particular leather note is going all garage chemical on me. I had this result about a month ago when I first tested this blend, and the time hasn't altered things as yet.

In drydown, I notice a hint of cacao. But kerosene continues to overwhelm the rest of the scent. 

This was STRONG black leather on me at first. Thick black leather with a nubbly raw side and a hint of... tea tree oil? I was trying to put my finger on what that smell was because it was EXACTLY like something familiar and yes. That's it. Melaleuca oil.

Checking again after ~30 minutes, now dry: the tea tree oil has gone away (thank god). This is now a dusty blend of cacao with a hint of crumbly incense on a sheet of unsewn leather. A bit naturally sweet from the resinous incense. 

After an hour or two, the sweet cacao and resin are stronger and dominating over the leather base.

Had high hopes for this one and it did not disappoint  In the bottle:  A strong blast of bitter cacao and wet leather.  On, wet:  Uh, yeah, still bitter cacao and wet leather, with the tiniest bit of smoke in the background.  Drydown:  Long, slow drydown.  End result is damp black leather--think a wet new leather jacket after getting soaked in a rainstorm--followed by bitter cacao.  Not really getting a whole lot of incense here.  This is a damp sort of scent, with a few pokes of maybe incense sweetness in the background on me.  On me, anyway, the leather develops to front and center with the cacao close behind. 

(Rested a full month before testing) This is all cacao all the time on me. Goes through a chocolate incense phase (possibly nag champa, but not distinct enough for me to tell) that is odd but not unpleasant before settling into - you guessed it - just cacao. Fades gracefully, but I wish I got any of the leather at all! Sadly, I think I also have a skin chemistry issue with the leather note.

This started off strong on the black leather on me, although the cacao and incense are there to join it. The leather is a sharp, chemical-y variety, not a smooth, well-worn one. The incense is also dark, and I'm wondering if there's some oudh in there. Eventually, the leather does calm down and I'm mostly left with incense accompanied by a smear of cacao at the end of the day.

I really don't like the leather in this one (well, the incense wasn't really my cup of tea, either, but the leather especially). There's not enough cacao here to smooth things over.

A metric ton of incense, cacao and then leather. This one was a very intense incense blend on me. Medium throw and wear length.