Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the bottle: When I first got this, I noticed a lot of sweet ginger, like ginger candy. Now (after resting 2 days because I can't help myself), I'd say it's a little less sweet and even more gingery. And fizzy, almost like ginger ale. Like, if a "little ginger buzz" is the bees, this is an entire swarm.

On my skin:

Wet, the honey peeks out to make sure it's not just gingery bees. As it dries, the ginger comes back out again. I do still get some sticky honey sweetness, and the ginger has lost a little of its fizz, but this stage is a lot of ginger backed by a little honey.

It stays really steady after that, a lot of ginger backed up by a little honey. I like this a lot since I have a lot of honey perfumes already, but my number of "keeper" ginger perfumes is pretty small. (Just one. It's Vixen.) I do anticipate that the honey might strengthen a little as the blend ages, since that's what I've know BPAL honey to do in the past, though I hope it doesn't overwhelm the lovely ginger note here.

This is *exactly* the smell of when you open a cold can of ginger ale. I'm absolutely amazed. A fizzy soda quality! Syrupy sweet and fizzy with a gingery flavor. That's it! Incredible 

I concur with previous reviews.  Zippy ginger ale - the good stuff.  The tartness of the ginger becomes stronger on my chemistry, turning almost lemony.  Then this mellows down to a light, gingery honey that makes me think of something I'd put in my tea.  That first phase is very fun, and I adore the name, but this isn't my favorite kind of honey.  If you like lighter honey notes and wildflower honey though, this should be up your alley.  

I echo the above reviewers who have said this smells like a good ginger ale. It's mostly ginger accompanied by the Lab's fizzy champagne note, which is perfect for representing buzzing bees! Even though the honey is listed as the first note, it's a light variety (which, I, too, would totally put in my tea) and isn't as strong as the ginger or the fizz on me. The fizz ends up winning out on me after a few hours, backed by the ginger and light honey.

I love smelling like sodas, because I like them but rarely drink them (usually preferring to opt for sugar from treats instead). Not only does this smell like ginger ale, but it's called SPURIOUS COOTER BEES???

Yeah, I'm going to need more of this in my life. 🐝 

Edited by doomsday_disco

The honey note in this one is very waxy on my skin, closer to beeswax than honey. I don't get a lot of ginger, but I do get a LOT of fizz. So this is basically beeswax champagne on my skin.

It settles into a skin scent fairly quickly, but lasts surprisingly long.

My skin is also doing something remarkably beeswaxy, with a touch of ginger warmth and nose tickling fizz. Not what I expected at all, but lovely all the same!

Sweet fizzzz! in the bottle. Goes on as a sweetly fizzy ginger ale. Like there’s ginger ale fizzing away, and a sweet note on top of it, but they don’t quite mesh. Starts to sour a bit as it dries; it’s now ginger with a little sweetness underneath. Eventually it fades into a more generic sweetness smoothing out the ginger. I never get any of the Lab’s swoony honey note at any point. It's a very nice ginger, and a close skin scent, but I have other gingers and I miss the Lab's perfumy honey. So it's very nice, but not FBW for me.

In the Decant: Agree with everyone that said it smells like ginger ale. Exciting!

Wet: Sparkly ginger ale and... something incredibly unsettling.

Dry: This continues to smell like ginger ale but then a hospital smell crops up. WTF? Oh. It's blood. Like, actual, literal, fresh human blood. The faint scent of iron, something a bit sweet, like skin. And ginger ale.

The smell of this is incredibly unsettling. But it's pretty impressive from a perfume standpoint.

So much ginger ale fizz. So much!

Someone shook this ginger ale until it exploded. It's mostly fizz on my skin, and on my friend's skin as well, even after a couple weeks of rest.

It's quite fetching as fizz goes... but I'm left craving a honey ginger blend with less buzz.

For whatever reason, I cannot stand fizzy notes in perfume. I took a chance on this one because I love honey and ginger, but this is ginger ale and it is not for me. Wet, this opens with a delicious golden honey and ginger candy smell, but as it dries it melts into bubbly ginger ale.

Ginger ale is too sweet and not punchy enough to me, but Spurious Cooter Bees is PUNCHY. So this smells more like ginger beer to me and I LOVE. Might hoard this one.

In the decant/bottle and wet, it's very much like a ginger ale. Sweet, fizzy, a little gingery.

Wear down though, that's when it gets punchy. Fizzy ginger is upfront and all up in my nose. The honey is there, but stays closer to my skin. This also starts out with good projection and then fades throughout the day. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

Very very fizzy ginger ale. Bpal honey often turns musty in a bad way on me, but not here. The fizzy ginger overrides all. I mean, it almost tickles my nose the way a freshly poured glass of ginger ale does! Glad I got to try a decant, but I'm not a fan of this one at all. I guess they can't all be hits. 

I knew I was in trouble when I started hearing things like "fizzy" and "champagne." Those types of notes tend to go soapy on me and Spurious Cooter Bees is no exception. This is a fizzy ginger ale soap. 

Ginger beer! The honey isn't strong enough for me to notice over the ginger-y, vaguely citrus-y fizzing. A tickle, for sure. I will enjoy my decant but don't need a bottle.  

Wet: Glorious ginger fizz. Ah! I love it.

Drydown: Bright, fizzy ginger. Cutting almost. A hint of honey ties the bold fizziness of the ginger to its drier, rootier aspects. It sweetens a bit and suddenly I'm reminded of Sweet Tarts. Just as suddenly, a lustier aspect of the honey appears, tempering the tartness. At this point the fizz has flattened and a whole other musky-honey-drizzled-sweet-tart-creature has appeared.

Dry: Tart, honey-sweet, and rooty. It smells like fresh ginger (skin on), honey musk, a touch of beeswax, and a good spritz of lemon-lime soda. Delightful.

9 out of 10 bones

I've worn this a handful of times now. It's a fairly mellow honey-sweetened fizzy ginger with a beeswaxy edge--all these notes play so nice on my skin and it's just fun and summery. I would drink a beverage version of this rather than a mimosa at a fancy brunch in a heartbeat!