Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The national bird of Ukraine. A lovely and powerful song translated into scent: toasted bourbon vanilla, sweet oats and honey, cardamom, and cream.

This is giving me some Lights, Camera, Something vibes with the vanilla, cardamom and cream. Where that one had a sort of lemon/lavender tea, this one is a comforting oatmeal. Honey is not strong for those worried. I adore this. I'm ordering a second bottle for sure!!

Nightingale starts off with a blast of cardamom and cream. My boyfriend was reminded of cardamom buns. The cream and oats are buttery and it's mostly cardamom, cream, and oats on me throughout wear (emphasis on the cardamom and cream, though) with the honey in the background, although the honey does end up gaining some strength over time. Bourbon vanilla is sometimes MIA on me, and I'm not picking up on it here. But it could be contributing some sweetness. I do get the Lights, Camera, Something comparison with this cardamom for sure -- only, this scent is buttery.

This smells delicious, but it's definitely a scent for cardamom lovers. Since I am one, I will be holding onto my bottle! Such a lovely scent for a good cause.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Omg, this is AMAZING.  I will definitely be getting multiple backups of this.  On initial application it is super sweet which is right up my alley.  I used to make these honey oatmeal cookies, and this smells EXACTLY like them….buttery, toasty oats and bright golden local honey.  The cardamom gives just the slightest hint of spice and doesn’t overpower the other notes.  This is a RARE perfume love for me.  If this gets stronger with age it will easily be one of my all time faves maybe even my most favorite.  

Honey notes are usually pretty shrill on me, for lack of a better description. However, the oats here are toasty and buttery very similar to the bread scent bpal uses, but the oats don't get plasticky like the bread note does. The honey plays with it nicely, brightening it up and keeping the oats and cream from getting too artificial. The bourbon vanilla gives the whole scent a smoothness and depth, and the cardamom and cream add a sweetness that makes it feel cozy and kind. I really love this scent and it will be wonderful to use whenever i need an olfactory hug, which is extremely apt for the cause and purpose of this fundraiser scent. 

Edited by brwnpaperhag

This scent is like if Dana O'Shee and Hay Moon 2020 had a baby, which means it's stunning, cozy, and wonderful. I definitely recommend this for fans of cardamom-vanilla scents. 

In The Bottle: Cardamom is definitely front and center, but softened around the edges by the dots and cream.

Wet On Skin: The vanilla comes into the mix, but just slightly, adding a bit of depth to the light sweet-and-spice that was the initial impression. 

Upon Drydown, I'm starting to get touches of honey. The cardamom has mellowed considerable,  making this less of a HAI CARDAMON scent and more of a light spice scent.

In All: low and medium throw, so feel feel to load up if your skin eats oils. This is a nice, light daytime scent. Delicate, mildly gourmand without being overtly foodie. If you like delicately sweet scents, this will definitely be one for your collection.

Long story short life happened and it's been some time (years) since I've had a sniff of any of my beloved BPALs; this blend gave me nostalgia like no tomorrow, instantly transporting me home. It is unspeakably comforting and familiar to my nose in a way that smells just, like, well, BPAL, and nothing else in the world. I can't even describe it. 

Actually in normal circumstances it isn't a perfume I would ordinarily go for at all because it has the foody death note in it that makes it a dead ringer for several other (extremely popular) heavily foody scents I've tried (that don't work). One or two in specific, although I can't think of them right now. I want to say some of the latte and cake type ones. 

I adore cardamom, spices, vanilla, and cream notes and was hoping with all my might that this would be dominated by them in a more "spice market" sense, but instead this is pure cookies (must be oats acting as cooked flour). Baked goods, that sort of thing. The spices are light and gentle and definitely take a major back seat, I struggle to find them. The vanilla is *the* 100% edible vanilla vanilla. Baking vanilla? What I get is toasted, toasty, toast, toastiness and butter, evoking the cookies. Also something that smells heavily like toasted almonds, for some reason. For a second I thought there was  black cherry pudding but that's instantly gone. Wearing this on one side and Sunyashniki on the other has been very, very interesting.  

Drydown impressions: About an hour in it has settled remarkably, the butter, toast, and cookies mellowed quite a bit into a cream and spiced honey angle and the oats are strong and prominent. Like a bowl of really well made oatmeal. Maybe sprinkled in almonds, but it could just be the extreme nutiness of the cooked oats. 

Edit to add SO's impression: Instantly upon smelling the dried down version (and having no clue what was supposed to be in it) he said it was super yummy and dessert like, smelling of sweetness, vanilla, and cream most heavily. I applied some super fresh and he sniffed that and said "pecan praline candles!" And also that it made him want to drink it, lol.

Edited by Shadowdawn

Soft, warm, vanilla cream, with a little hint of toastiness and spice - not cinnamon spice, but the warm kitchen-spice of cardamom. It's primarily the soft snuggly vanilla, though, if you're worried about cardamom - that isn't loud at all. On me, this is just...purely nice, honestly. Not dramatic, not flamboyant, but it's not meant to be: it's a big soft warm cozy hug, the kind that gives you buttery shortbread cookies and pats you on the shoulder and tells you it's all going to be okay. I think it would also be nice for layering, but I really do like it by itself; I feel like it'll be a good one to wear while teaching.

Low throw on me, close to the skin, but it's sticking around well, so far!

When I first put this on this is a blast of honey, oats and cream  blending together to make an almost caramel like scent. At this stage it definitely reminds me of oat cookies or baked goods. 

As it settles on my skin it morphs into a soft, sweet honey and cream scent. There is a hint of cardamom in the background. The oats are much more settled now and this has morphed in a lovely, creamy scent. 

This is another "does what it says on the tin" and it's quite lovely, but I can't help thinking I smell like breakfast when I wear this. Creamy honey oatmeal, coming right up!

This was a lovely vanilla with light oats but it was so light! Hardly any throw and staying power! Bummer. 

Edited by vanilla323

in the imp i thought it smelled like a richer and more complex dana o'shee, but on the skin it's so much more than that.  but it's pretty funny, because i compared dana to my keto "fauxtmeal", and nightingale is most definitely my pre-keto oatmeal.  slow-cooked steel-cut oats drenched in butter, brown sugar, and evaporated milk.  dipped up with butter-slathered fried bread.  pure sweet carby indulgence. i never put cardamom in my oatmeal, but apparently i should have, because DAYUM.

i actually think just smelling this caused me to break my ketosis. 

Edited by MamaMoth

Vanilla-creamy toasted oats with a little honey and the beautiful cardamom from Perfectly Normal Childhood/Lights, Camera, Something.

I love how this one opens. I don't really ever get enough of this vanilla and cardamom together, and they are beautiful with the other notes.

As it wears on me, though, I simply amp the beegees out of these oats. Nightingale eventually goes too grainy/oatmealy for my tastes... but it smells like an absolutely amazing winter breakfast. 

Turns out I amp oats? My skin is so weird.

In the decant: sweet vanilla-cream, with a hint of spice from the cardamom, & a hint of grain. The honey reads as sweetness, with no floral, wax, or bee spit notes.

On me: A bowl of oatmeal, with sweetened cream.  There's a touch of spiciness, but overall the vanilla & cardamom have faded into the background.

Stupid skin.

Oh this is so so lovely! For me, it smells just like New York Cheesecake (which happens to be my favourite ever dessert).

This is very vanilla-forward for me which I love. It's so creamy! The oats are definitely there. For me, this scent feels like I'm eating a vanilla cheesecake and that someone else in the kitchen is cooking fresh porridge on the stove (probably my brother, as his porridge is the best!). Cardamon is definitely there present while wet and dry for me but not overpowering.

The honey is probably there but it hides behind the other scent notes for me (and I my skin usually amps honey). 

Honestly, when my favourite vanilla perfume from another brand (which I wore exclusively for six years) lost its magic for me, this would have been a great replacement! 

The smell lasts and the throw is decent for me but I want it to be stronger! This will probably age wonderfully. 

Eyy it’s a spicy one! This is like cinnamon buns with cardamom instead of cinnamon, which I’ve never actually heard of but I bet they would be delicious. So yeah, tons of fragrant cardamon, with sweet sugary vanilla frosting. No bourbon at all, which is great since I don’t wear boozy scents to work anyhow. I never knew I wanted a sweet creamy cardamom blend but here it is and I adore it!

This is gorgeous and absolutely full bottle worthy (both for the fragrance and for the cause).  All of the notes blend together and smell like creamy, sweet, yellow cake to me.  The spice is warm, gentle and present, but not overwhelming, and my skin tends to amp up spice notes.  I was worried about the honey and oatmeal, but this is more creamy, vanillic and golden than simply smelling like a bowl of honey topped oatmeal.  Fresh from the oven, warm, golden, rich yellow cake and creamy vanilla with a drizzle of golden honey.

Sweet cream and grains in the bottle. Goes on as the lovely toasty grain from Halfling, with sweet vanilla cream on top. This is really nice. Continues as the vanilla orchid plus sweet toasty oats. But alas, as it dries, the cardamom comes out, and I amp cardamom like a cardabomb. The bitter edge of the spice starts to sand off the vanilla and grains. The grains go first, while the vanilla is still fighting not to be drowned out. That’s where it finishes: as a pile of cardmom with a fading orchid in the middle of it.

I finally understand about letting oils settle!  When I first smelled this I did not like it at all, it was far too sweet and I got zero cardamom.  I was so disappointed.  I tried this again today, and it still is sweet but not nearly as sweet as it first was.  I thibk the scent has deepened it and I can finally smell the spice.  I like this! 

Oatmeal and cardamom. This smells like the best alternative milk you'd want in coffee. Cozy. Medium throw and wear length.

This is a cozy, honeyed oats scent. Its pretty realistic, like slow cooked oats prepared with milk and vanilla, sprinkled with cardamom. I normally don't go for a lot of gourmand fragrances but this one I reach for in the evenings because its so soothing. I've always loved milk and honey scents and black phoenix has created a truly elevated version in comparison to any I have tried in the past. So happy to have a bottle of this. 

thick, buttery, slow-cooked oats topped with sweet vanilla cream and a drizzle of sticky golden honey. the cardamom is soft and cozy, adding a gentle touch of spice that complements the vanillic, creamy oats beautifully. this one is absolutely gorgeous, like a hearty and comforting winter breakfast. grainy, carby indulgence with the perfect amount of honeyed sweetness and warm, toasty kitchen-spice.