Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A slurry of ambergris accord, pale sage and white mint, mugwort, mahogany, coffee bean, and wet dead leaves. 

In the decant, this is all about the wet dead leaves.

On me, they are the most prominent aspect of this scent as well (and you can definitely tell these leaves are wet), but I'm also getting the herbal mugwort and sage along with the leaves, as well as the mahogany. The sage ends up being stronger than the mugwort after a few minutes, and there's just the barest touch of mint here adding a light coolness to the scent. It ends up being mostly dead leaves in the throw for the longest time, but then it morphs and the sage comes to the forefront, backed by the now cologne-y leaves (my skin chemistry typically turns the Lab's dead leaves into either bell peppers or cologne), which are backed by the warm mahogany, and finally, a touch of coffee bean! The ambergris isn't distinct on me, and by the end of the day, the combination of the sage, dead leaves, mahogany, and mugwort put this thoroughly in cologne territory on my skin. But the bit of warm coffee bean is still there.

I had to try this because of the ambergris and mugwort. I really hoped the dead leaves in this would be subdued, but they are not on me. While this isn't something I'd wear myself, I do think it would be nice to smell on someone else. It's like an herbal cologne with a little warmth added to it.

Dead Leaves strike again. Here, they are pale, wet things, aquatic in a moldering damp puddle way that is nicely atmospheric. They aren't going super cologne on me. Sage and mahogany are here; they read masculine to my nose in this setting, though pleasantly so. I don't get a strong mint or coffee, but something pleasantly herbal and also a little bit like wet coffee grounds, bitter and bright. There is something stately about these dead leaves. I can believe that they lay scattered in front of an aristocratic household. I think that is the mahogany and ambergris elevating the blend to an elegant, old-fashioned, slightly spooky level. I like that part of it! I kind of wish I could just take the leaves out of it and be left with the rest. 

I am never going to be about the Dead Leaves I think, but this is one of the more wearable ones I've ever tried. I'm glad I got to try an empty, and might hang on to it just in case I want to drop a decant in there for aging purposes. Not a full bottle upgrade for me, however, this would make a beautiful Weenie-for-Spring to someone who does enjoy that traditional DL line.

Edited by starbrow