Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Wild Nights – Wild Nights!

A storm-tossed tempest of red-streaked black musk, vanilla absolute, smoked patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, vetiver, and cardamom sugar. 

I like Emily Dickinson's work, so I was drawn to Wild Nights. The night-blooming jasmine gave me pause, but I gave it a chance because I love every other note. Sometimes I can wear night-blooming jasmine, but I have to apply it lightly, nowhere close to my nose, and there has to be something like a dark musk and/or patchouli to balance it.

The musks and the sweet notes remind me of Mania. This patchouli-vetiver combination really works for me, and I think it'll be wonderful if it can keep the jasmine in check. I've only had the bottle for a few days and worn it twice, so I don't feel I can judge that yet.

Wild Nights has the power to make people swoon on a sultry night, for those who are bold and embrace that floral life. As for me, if I wear more than a drop on the back of one hand, this will nauseate me and could trigger a migraine, but I'd never need more than that because the wafting fragrance is strong. I won't dare to wear it near my nose. 

As beautiful as this is, I'll most likely never use the whole bottle. Depending on how it ages, I might be finding a new home for it.

I've been wearing this constantly. I'm obsessed, I tell you. OBSESSED.

Now, I will be straight with you. Wild Nights - Wild Nights! is totally a scent you can't judge by the bottle smell. Because fresh from the mail, this DOES have big-ass floral funk, the way a strong dragon's blood smells like big heady red florals. In fact, I would have sworn this WAS dragon's blood, not jasmine. I find those hard to wear, and I probably would have avoided trying Wild Nights on the skin just from a bottle sniff. But well, the bottle was already mine, so of course I'm going to test it.

Almost immediately upon hitting the skin, and certainly once drying down, the intensity of the fake-dragon's-blood reddified-jasmine situation poofs into nothingness, and instead emerges the most gorgeous melange of silvery vetiver, Ceylon cinnamon, and sugared musky vanilla. It is like a sexy aged Snake Oil with vetiver and cinnamon on me! The black musk, as usual, tends to lend a tinge of nag champa and oily darkness to the blend. The patchouli and vetiver are both to-die-for iterations of these notes. Same patchouli as You May House Their Bodies, I think? A dry, earthy, unsweetened patchouli, and the shimmery vetiver from Vetiver Patchouli Apple Peel trio. The vetiver lasts for so many hours. It's a soft little cloud of perfection around me long after all the top notes are gone.

Three notes that I struggle with - jasmine, cardamom, and sugar (and smoked things, sometimes) - are not an issue here at all! The jasmine does not rear its head after those initial first wet couple of minutes, and just lends whatever it is lending to the overall magic of the blend. (The in-bottle floral funk is not indolic to my nose, it just really does have a peculiar, almost medicinal/laudunum vibe that is a bit unpleasant.) Cardamom too is somehow held in check, perhaps by the cinnamon? I don't enjoy wearing strong cardamom (it makes me feel queasy), and here, it doesn't seem strong to me at all. And as for the sugar, all I can do is whisper *Snake Oil* and you will know what I mean.

I think if you enjoy Bloodlust, Streets of Detroit, Smut, and/or Snake Oil variations like Death Adder and Saw-Scaled Viper, Wild Nights is along those lines. But it needs skin-testing, desperately! The morphing is astonishing. This has potential to be a huge runaway hit, and it's going to age phenomenally. However, I suspect it's for the cinnamon-and-spice lovers, the vetiver fans, the black musk wearers. I know it's not for everyone, but then, what perfume is? Wild Nights seems to have made for me and my skin. Sexy af.

This one has really surprised me, I'm getting a really strong cinnamon, which I avoid and must have missed. Or that's just how it's translating to me. Besides that, there's a sort of dank oily black musk vanilla swirling around with it. I don't know, I thought I was getting better at honing in to my wheelhouse notes that usually work out, but it's still fun to be surprised how scents can be so complicated. This was a decant imp that has rested for about a week. 

I got a decant of this one, despite it having several iffy notes, just to fill the last slot in a decant circle and see how it would go. It sounded like it would be too heavy and musky for me, but actually, I'm pleasantly surprised! It goes on as musky cardamom sugar and jasmine -- a tame, non-indolic jasmine that's smoothed over by the vanilla -- and stays that way for a while. Then I get a cinnamon-vibe from it after a few hours, and am not sure if there's some secret cinnamon in this, or if that's just what the cardamom (which WAS definitely cardamom on application) settled into, but it's not cinnabomb on me by any means. (On that note, it's also not a red musk bomb. Red musk usually declares dominion over all when it hits my skin, and that's not happening here.) The vetiver emerges after a few hours and is a grassy type as opposed to a smoky one (for those who also avoid the smoky type!). It ends up being a spice-infused musk with grassy vetiver, that smooth jasmine and vanilla, and a light, chewy patch after four hours. I'm getting something reminding me of Snake Oil here, and it's probably the musk, spices, and patch that are bringing it to mind, even though it does not smell like Snake Oil. But I'd put it as a floral cousin in that family.

I am going to keep this decant and see how it ages. I really liked this before the vetiver became a main player, but I still think it is really nice and am surprised it's working so well on me.

Guys? I'm insane, I think. This goes dusty vintage drapes deep deep in the back of a funky junky antiques warehouse with old floorboards and greasy pipes... instantly. I mean...I love the smell..but expected? No.

Edited by SophieCedar

i am a lifetime member of #teamnojasmine. it's my #1 death note.  but smoked patchouli and cardamom sugar sounded too good to pass up, so i figured this might be a good one to give jasmine another chance in, since every other note is pretty much pure win for me. 

WELP. welcome to topsy turvy land, where i can try out a perfume with jasmine in it and end up LOVING IT.  what even is happening here??

but boy, that jasmine comes out the gate swinging.  let me tell you, i was doubting every decision i've ever made in my life at that point.  but then almost immediately, some kind of miracle happened.  the jasmine disappeared.  that NEVER happens on me.  usually even vigorous scrubbing won't rid my skin of lingering jasmine stench.  

basically, i'm just going to have to echo starbrow here. this one absolutely has to be skin tested.

it goes through several stages:

1.  jasmine bomb.  ugh.  but it's brief!  

2.  cinnamon bomb.  better than jasmine bomb,  but not really wowing me yet. 

and finally... 

3.  musky sweet vanilla fleshed out by an earthy,  full, rich vetiver/patch mesh, with a beautiful soft spiciness.

i actually think the jasmine is still hiding up in there, sexing it up and giving the whole blend a heady voluptuousness, but it's not distiguishable to my nose at all.  and believe you me, i'm LOOKING for it. 

this is a total sexpot. it's dark and sultry and languorous. i get the snake oil comparisons. it doesn't smell like snake oil, but it feels like snake oil. 

am i buying a bottle?  oh yeah.  what a world!

Edited by MamaMoth

Revised review: I thought I had Wild Nights figured out, but it's just too wild to pin down! TLDR; Many morphs, ends with black musk.

When I tested this the first time I didn't get much vetiver, but each subsequent time there is a burst of smoky vetiver when first applied, even though the listed note is smoked patch.

As the smoke settles down, a red musk/patch/vanilla ensemble takes shape. I don't get much jasmine, the vetiver/patch play off each other really well, and the black musk quietly skulks around in the background. It seems like the cardamom sugar is just dusted over the top. Quite slinky!

After a couple hours, the sugar becomes more pronounced even though the cardamom remains fairly subtle. I get a sugary patch with vetiver and vanilla. Hubba hubba!

I love that this scent has great staying power,  but after the sugar sweet phase tapers off,  the black musk is the last note standing ...and I do not love a black musk solo. Sad trombone. 

Thanks for the wild ride, wild nights!

Edited by LavenderCoffee

The sister of WILF. That's exactly what it is for me. Maybe a little less "heavy" (or cloying?) then WILF can be, but pretty much a slightly different-kind-of-sweet-but-pretty-much-wilf for me both in the bottle and on the skin. Beautiful!! 🥰

Gorgeous dark musk, sweetened and spiced up by the vanilla and sugared cardamom, with the patchouli and vetiver barely detected long after drydown. Thankfully no stanky jasmine pops out on me. Once again, this scent is more than its individual notes - it's a lovely scent that is worthy of a bottle upgrade! 

Omg I love this one!  Spicy red musk patchouli, which is very reminiscent of Mme Moriarty, but spicier and there’s a ‘dirty’ vibe, probably from the vertiver.  I really like this, and may upgrade, it’s different enough from Mme, like the slutty half sister perhaps.  😆 

This is predominantly black musk on me with a little red musk and soft, sweet cardamom.  

The reviews on this one make me wonder if we are testing the same scent. 😂

On me this is cinnamon Red Hots and Dusty, Stale Nope. This dusty, stale nope accord (whatever it is) gives me great hope though as I recognize it from some older bottles I thought had went off with aging. I like that it is just my interpretation of an accord.

Without the Red Hots, this could be a super good bookish blend. Like, I enjoy the scent of dusty book bindings especially with leather! But the actual deal breaker is the Cinnabomb. 

Dusty Book Bindings and Red Hots.

I did not perceive cardamom sugar, vanilla or jasmine. 

Wet I get a very strong smokiness from the smoked patchouli and green cardamom. I'm fairly certain the spicy scent we're all picking up is the cardamom, because to me it smells spicy and warm, but not exactly cinnamon-y and according to Google green cardamom in particular does have those characteristics. Maybe oil infused with cardamom sugar really amps that aspect? Same kind of spicy warmth as cinnamon, but more exotic smelling, to me at least.

Once dry, it's still mega spicy, but the patchouli and black musk with a smidge of red musk (thankfully not enough to be causing a migraine) make an appearance and bring it from exotic spicy drink territory back to perfume. I also smell some dry grassiness from the vetiver in the background and over time the vanilla makes itself known a little bit. I never pick up anything jasmine or remotely floral.

I like it, but I'm not sure if I like it enough to wear regularly and warrant a full bottle; I do get sick of the cardamom after a while. It's definitely different as perfumes go though and if you like spiciness, maybe give this a whirl.

Edited by Beary Strange

This blend is from the family of dense chewy musky patch scents, like Crowley or Satyr. It takes some time for it to develop and it's a strong morpher. Once it dries, i get echoes of dusty red musk mingled with dry balck musk and some patch and it works very well. As time goes by, the scent gets drier -  a musky spicy patch. Very elegant and will work best in the cooler months of autumn. I'm tempted to get a bottle, but i fear i won't use it up entirely, so the decant will suffice.

The imp has been resting for a couple months now so it feels safe to retest.

Wet: A&D diaper ointment and red hots 😓

Dry: Thicc sex. Qandisa and Snake Oil's love child, but with a pending paternity test for Satyr and Bloodlust. Very spicy, very musky, day-old sex, smeared lipstick, spilled Fireball on the carpet. It feels *VERY BPAL* in the traditional sense, like the kind of hip swaying, va-va-voom scent profile that gets people hooked on this house. I would not be able to tell you that jasmine is in this. The cinnamon bomb is real though.