Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Colorless and leaden, bittersweet and sorrowful: ambergris and silvered sage with white cognac and elemi. 

Wow.  Beautiful grey amber that softens to something hazy, powdery, and very vaguely herbal.  This is all the amber dustiness of The Grey Columns without the sweet vanilla tones.  Very classy and understated.  Soft.  Gender neutral. Intimate. I like this, but it's barely there on me after a few minutes; it just becomes a powdering over my skin.  I like things with a bit more oomph, but I'll hang on to this in case it gets more potent with age. 

Oh, this one is so pretty! I get the silvered sage most prominently on my skin, backed by the ambergris. I'm glad the ambergris is there from the beginning, as it usually takes a few hours to show up on me in most scents. The 'silvered' part of the sage does not read as metallic to me. I think it's a silvery musk. And the sage is a green sage, and I think it may be one of the sages found in Eve With Sage F*** Up (probably the Dalmatian sage?). There's a phase where I thought I was getting a bit of vanilla in the musk, but it did not stick around. The white cognac becomes more noticeable a few hours in and adds a wistful vibe to the scent, while the slightly citrusy and pine-y elemi brightens up the scent a bit.

I have a half-bottle of this from a decant circle that I got to prevent it from getting cut, and I'm really happy to have it! :) 

Edited by doomsday_disco

Very pretty.  I’m getting ambergris and what smells like driftwood.  I miss my ambergris SN, so it’s nice to smell it again.  It fades really quickly, though and probably needs to be slathered, which I’m a bit hesitant due to allergies popping up here and there.

Wet: Pale, musky, and pulpy with a hint of sweetness.

Drydown: Wet, but not watery. It reminds me of mushing wet paper pulp between my fingers. There's also this warm, almost sticky quality that's sexy and inviting. It's quiet though–like a subtle come hither gaze vibe. Increasingly warm and sweet until suddenly it turns smokey (and I'm loving it.)

Dry: Smokey, sweet musk with just a touch of an herbal flurry and citrussy zip mixed in. Complex and understated.

8 out of 10 bones

In the decant, this is a subtly sweet, musky ambergris with a slight herbaceous edge from the sage. As it dries down, the sage fades into the background and the cognac amps up -- I never am able to specifically pick out the elemi. After drydown, this is predominantly an ambergris and white cognac blend, but not a noticeably booze one -- the cognac adds a extra dimension of smoothness and slight sweetness to the ambergris rather than being specifically boozy. Overall, an understated, musky ambergris blend.

Gorgeous ambergris. The cognac sweetens it a little and the sage is a grounding earthy note that reminds me of that in Eve With Sage. The ambergris is the star on me, though, which is a win because the Lab's ambergris is so lovely but can be overshadowed in more "busy" blends. I see the resemblance to Grey Columns, though that one is more sweet/vanillic and this one more . . . petrichor ish, almost. 

Edit: wish I got a backup bottle of this. 

Edited by feyofthefellwood