Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Vanilla Bean, Marshmallow, and Benzoin

ok this is terrifying i am the first review ??? 

this is going right up there in my top 5 scents, i absolutely love this. on me - it’s very reminiscent of 2017 Antique Lace, it’s almost like Stekk and 2017 Antique Lace had a baby and i’m buying a hundred bottles immediately 🤩

If you loved Stekk or Stale Sugar-crusted Marshmallow Chick, run, don't walk to get a bottle of this one.  The marshmallow note is obvious, but instead of Stekk's soft, clean wooliness, this is a sweeter, richer scent. It didn't occur to me until I read kaileycatface's review above, but the vanilla is indeed similar to/reminiscent of the vanilla in Antique Lace, like you opened up a bag of Kraft marshmallows and poured an imp full of Antique Lace all over them.

So. The scent itself is amazeballs. Stekk and antique lace had a baby. *French kiss*

I immediately ordered 3 backups. Now after having it a few days I'm becoming very sad because I'm realizing how weak it is. Like...can't smell unless my nose is on my wrist, even freshly applied, even with my whole forearm slathered. Bummer...this could be so great if the formula was less watered down, and now am almost regretting the backups. Perhaps it will strengthen with age, but I never really have luck with that.

Edited by mizliz2176

This is absolutely Stekkjarstaur's sibling swirled with the vanilla of the 2017 version of Antique Lace, as others have said. The benzoin becomes noticeable after a few hours of wear but is nowhere near as strong as the other two notes.

The scent does start off being rather light and close to the skin, but it increases in strength with wear as the vanilla floofs out.

I was kind of hoping for another vanilla note, as I have lots of Antique Lace 2017 and some of the scents that vanilla has been included in lately. But I'm not mad. :P 

I expect this one will sell out early like Black Amber and Sugar Cane, so if you're a Stekk fan who is looking for a sister scent, or someone who missed it when it was available, now is your chance to head to the website and smash that order button.

ETA: I deathmatched this against Stekk and have to amend my review: while they're both marshmallow, Stekk is much deeper, and I think the sugared part of the marshmallow root just elevates it to a whole other level.

Edited by doomsday_disco

This was the easiest blind buy of my life (I love vanilla bean, love marshmallow-y vanilla even more, and I adore vanilla + resins).  I ordered two bottles initially and I'll definitely add a couple more bottles into my next order. 

I have and love Stekk and different ages / variations of Antique Lace, but Vanilla Bean, Marshmallow and Vanilla doesn't remind me of any of my other bpal fragrances.  If anything, this reminds me of the sweet, shadowy vanilla and benzoin base in Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille, but with a realistic marshmallow instead of SDV's more complex top notes.  It's so good and really blooms and warms on the skin.  Shadowy like whisps of incense and cocoa powder underneath a smooth vanilla cream and realistic marshmallow.

This blend is simple, wonderful, and beautiful.  It smells of high quality vanilla and the benzoin is a little spicy, a little incensey, and resinous, adding so much depth to the vanillic tones.

I love this one so much!

Parosmia sucks but I've been able to find some blends that still smell beautiful and this is definitely one of them!

In the bottle and freshly applied there's slightly toasted marshmallow and Antique Lace vanilla. It's not smoky in any way, just that ever so slight cooky vibe that the toasted bit can smell like. Some marshmallow and vanilla notes can go plasticine, drugstore, or cloying but there's none of that here.

After a while, the sweet benzoin blooms and anchors the marshmallow and vanilla notes into something extra, ancient, and goddessy. The benzoin isn't coming across like a dark resin. It's more like if a resin was lighter, sweeter, more vanilla-like but adding a touch of depth and intrigue. It kinds reminds me of Ghost Milk with the high end vibe, but it is still it's own scent.

I wouldn't say this is a dupe for Stekk or AL but if you missed out on those and want something similar with a sweet resinous note, go for it!

For fans of Stekk, AL, Ghost Milk, and Grey Columns. Low throw and wear length. More throw than Grey Columns, less than Ghost Milk.

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

I’m the bottle this is a really lovely soft vanilla and sweet marshmallow.  Wet I’m not a big fan.  Something is a little sharp in an unpleasant way which had me thinking I would hate the end result.  

BUT the dry down on this is NICE.  It’s much more subtle than the foodie scents I tend to enjoy that have crazy throw, but it is serene.  I’m thinking that this will be lovely in the summer.  My favorite summer scents are ones that are too light to be noticeable in the arctic tundra that is Vermont half of the year but when worn on the lower chest during the summer revive themselves when you get sweaty and you suddenly can smell it wafting up from your chest again.

Im not a fan of Antique Lace so to me this is better.

Oh hey, Stekk marshmallow! Tempered by an AL-similar vanilla, this isn't too punch-you-in-the-face foodie, but it's definitely tilted that way. The hint of resin keeps it grounded for me, and dare I say I like it better than Stekk since the vanilla isn't foodie and the resin gives it depth - it's missing that buttery/cream note of Stekk and yay for that. 

If you like vanilla and marshmallows, get this one for sure. Will be curious to see how this ages. 

This is the softest, fluffiest marshmallow vanilla on me in every way imaginable, like a light fluffy cloud. The vanilla note is a high-quality vanilla bean that smells smooth and yummy. The marshmallow note is very airy and light, giving the whole ménage a pleasant floofiness. The benzoin doesn't really stand out to me. It has quite low throw, but it is very lovely.

Yeeeeah.  A bunch of folks need to buy this.  It's pretty much all the gooey marshmallow-vanilla bits from Antique Lace.  Creamy, foody vanilla with just a hint of graham-cracker-nuttiness, probably from the benzoin.  If you like foody vanillas, and enjoy mixing your perfumes, this is a marvelous investment. I'm pretty sure this could be added to all sorts of things with drool-worthy results.  

I am in the "This totally reminds me of Stekk" camp.  I bought two backups, and I'm not sure those will do. 

It is pretty low-throw, but lately all my new bpals start out that way.  Caveat...that might be a 'me' thing, as my nose will go dead randomly, and I can no longer smell my favorite notes (ie. Vanilla and marshmallow 🙄).  With a few months aging, they gain intensity, so I trust the wisdom to leave 'em alone for a while.

Anyway...buy it.  Or don't buy it.  I'm totally fine with that, too.  More for me!

Edited by Amazonia

Poofy vanilla marshmallow. Simple but very appealing. It starts out with a cereal marshmallow type smell, then the benzoin comes out and gives it some depth and that delightful hits-in-the-back-of-your-nose feel from TKO and Place of Seeing (at least to me). It doesn't have a ton of throw or longevity on me so far, but aging might very well help with that. I'm glad to have a bottle!

Mostly vanilla bean! Like smelling a vanilla pod. A bit of poofy marshmallow lifting it up. Not getting much benzoin. Starts out with okay throw but gets pretty light pretty fast! Becomes a vanilla bean skin scent after around 10 minutes.

Sweet creamy vanilla bean, like melted vanilla ice cream - the good kind, with vanilla bean flecks! Not really getting the benzoin at all, but I was mostly here for the vanilla-marshmallow, so that's fine.

Very low throw, and fades quickly (caveat: it is the first day of That Time Of Month for me, so, maybe a skin chemistry thing?), but it's absolutely lovely while it lasts - sweet creamy vanilla! Would probably be great for layering, though on me it might be too short-lived for that. But maybe if I slather...or retest next week, perhaps!

this could be the vanilla of my dreams.

the perfect vanilla bean: rich and rotund.  fluffed up by musky, soft, pillowy marshmallow.  (marshmallow sometimes smells a little musky to me.  just go with it.) grounded by resinous, almost-spicy, sweet benzoin. my eyes are rolling back in my head from sheer bliss.  but my nose is also glued to my arm, because the throw is practically nonexistent.  and my skin gobbles it up in 10 minutes flat. why, WHY so light handed with this blend? 😢

was contemplating 10,000 backups, but i can't justify it.  maybe it'll grow legs in the bottle cellar, and then i'll be mourning my single solitary bottle. 

honestly, i kinda want to just sit in the corner and cry about it. 

Edited by MamaMoth

Funny thing is, dry on my arm it's a light, cute version of Hod. Just minus the somewhat strident Carnation but... *shrugs* it's really nice. 

On me, this smells like I cracked open a bottle of real vanilla extract. Simple and potent. I love it & it has decent staying power with my chemistry. 

My bottle arrived today and I love it. In my book, this is the perfect 'straight up' vanilla. Doesn't get any better than this. (For nava lovers - this reminds me most of moonstone with some creamy crystal thrown in and a hint of kobalt.)  

Eta 25 Jan '23- the marshmallow has become stronger and I am very much enjoying this today. Still extremely light with no throw but that's just fine.

Edited by HerbGirl

This is like a magic trick, if magic trick were designed to annoy rather than delight. The magic trick is that for about 5 minutes, this is the best most intense vanilla extract and marshmallow fluff note I've ever smelled. BUT THEN, oh then, with a snap of the fingers, all the perfect vanilla marshmallow clouds get blown away, leaving behind.....a 90s barbie doll head instead. And then I can't smell it at all.

Since I don't want to smell like my childhood toy-box, this is a pass for me. But I'm very sad about it, lol. Maybe I'll try the NAVA Moonstone mentioned above.

In the bottle it's all vanilla extract and marshmallow. On the skin it's a faint, warm vanilla that all but disappears. It sort of rallied on my skin after awhile and I had a warm marshmallowy vanilla scent hanging around for hours. The sillage and throw aren't huge, but as a comforting skin scent it's quite lovely. 

Warm vanilla, and soft fluffy marshmallows .  There is a clear crystal vibe as mentioned above the thread.   It is kind of like Moonstone, but better IMO.

Bottle sniff is a vanilla, I do get the vanilla from Antique Lace vibe off this as others have said. The marshmallow rounds it out. This seems like it will be light and have light throw. It's almost just a sweet skin scent on me. It fades off. 

This is a really gorgeous scent. A dreamy blend of vanilla and marshmallow backed up by the sweet, resinous benzoin. To my nose the vanilla is a realistic vanilla bean. It's very wearable and is more of a skin hugging scent. I think that this would also be great for layering with other scents.

From beginning to end, this is sexy marshmallows. Very sexy marshmallows. I love it. The benzoin does something magical on my skin and creates a solid base for the floofy, vanilla-y, sexy marshmallows to softly waft off of my skin. Wear time is excellent as well. This lasts a good ten hours.  A surprise hit for me since I dislike marshmallows from a food perspective.