Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Sugar, Poppy Tar, and Red Currant

welp, i was hoping for something similar to "See Thyself, Devil!" and I AM NOT DISAPPOINTED!

this is lovely!!! very similar - ethereal, sweet, it has the similar "sugar water" scent of something that i would imagine you leave out in a hummingbird feeder in springtime. love it.

absolutely love love love it.

here, though - the "lavender" note from See Thyself Devil is replaced with the red currant note, so this blend is slightly more red, slightly more fruity. it also seems to me to be a bit stronger than See Thyself Devil, though i will have to test that theory more!

ugh, so sexy, so delicious. flapper girl - hummingbird water - springtime vibes. i swear i could wear this type of scent every day, and every night, and not get sick of it.

overall, this is a very happy win of a bottle for me.

Agree with rivetted on this one, it's definitely a sibling to See Thyself, Devil! (sugared opium poppy and lavender water).

IMO the currant lends a bit more warmth to the blend than lavender, making it less sharp and more approachable. The red fruit really settles beautifully between the sugar and the poppy as the oil dries. Tempted to get a full size bottle of this even though I also snagged the Lilith version - deliciously similar but sufficiently distinct.

I'm not getting anything like tar or smoke from this, if anyone is hesitating on that front. Although if they are distinct notes, and poppy tar has a bit more depth and darkness than opium poppy, that would make sense here. Nice throw and weartime. 

I ordered a tester of this and after the first sniff, I put in an order for a bottle. I love it THAT much.

I enjoy scents that are sweet but balanced by other notes, in this case an almost soporific spice from the poppy.  I was wary of the red currant. It doesn't work for me in Eat Me and fruity notes can be iffy. But the currant is subdued and just blends seamlessly with the other notes.

I'm not big on commercial fragrances and there are very few that I enjoy, but this is almost identical on my skin to Juliette Has a Gun MMMMM..., except it has more depth and I love it more.

My favorite of all the trios I've tried so far, it stands on its own and doesn't seem too linear or lacking (even though its only comprised of three notes). This sweet poppy concotion is highly addictive.

Edited by ziggystardust13

Yes Yes YES red POISON! Mysterious, hypnotic and enchanting, this is an adult fruity floral with a dark Goth feel. 

ziggystardust13 was so lovely and passed along her decant to me. I wonder if she heard me scream with delight upon first sniff :blush:
Immediate bottle upgrade for me too btw. The sugar is delicate and light. Very much like nectar or white spun sugar i'd say, not heavy like some other sugared blends.

The red current blends perfectly with the intoxicating opium, with a cocktail-like kiss. This is some supersexy fruit. 

Refined and wearable. I could slather this every day and never tire of it. 

Excellent throw and longevity, I can see this being extremely popular and sought after. 

Simply delicious, I have a new day time obsession to go along with my nighttime Sopor. 

Edited by Jenjin

I've enjoyed so many of the Duets and Menages I've tried, and this, too, is a love.

Sugared red poison. I get white sugar, red currant, and opium in about that order of strength, though they are closely balanced.

I like this as a sleep scent, but it doubles as naughty. This fruit is downtown in the depths of night, wrapped in red dress and sugar gems, looking for a kill.

Completely unexpectedly, this is one of my absolute favorites from this order! I'm considering a backup, which I rarely do. I got this because I like red currant (I love Eat Me) and I like sweet, but I was unsure about "poppy tar" or simply "sugar" - Sugar Cookie (and its variants), for instance, always goes dark and caramelized on me, and I've got enough of those! But...oh, my. This. This, yes.

This doesn't change at all, as far as I can tell, in bottle - wet - dry on me. Several people above have said hummingbird water, sugar water, nectar - yes! A white sugar, spun-sugar, light & bright & sparkling - but with a juicy dark red layer underneath, like a shimmering crimson, if a scent could be a color. Red berries, with something that darkens it up and makes it more sensual - but no tar or smoke notes at all, if anyone's worried! Just that sense of dark shimmer, if that makes any sense. My gosh, this is glorious. Like Casablanca said - that's a perfect metaphor - it's sweet glittering sugar except it's put on a slinky red dress and is singing in a dimly lit bar somewhere and will seduce someone by the end of the night.

when i first tried this, "sugared red poison" summed it up nicely.  the poppy tar had a bit of a dark floral skew on me, and without some darker elements to play against it pushed this one a little out of my comfort zone. 

i tried it again today, a few weeks later, and i'm getting little to no floral impression, which i like much better.  now it's reading as a complex sweetness, faintly red-tinged, with a little darkness to prop it up. it's deceptively simple, and i think it'll wear wonderfully during the hot summer months. 

Edited by MamaMoth

Let it be known that:

1/ This was not initially on my radar and all of the glowing reviews had me curious.

2/ I disliked See Thyself, Devil! and the only one of these notes that is a love for me is sugar.

3/ I normally do not gravitate towards fruity florals.

That said, this is amazing and may be the best trio of the year so far? Like, I could actually see myself wearing this more than the Vanilla Bean, Marshmallow, and Benzoin one? :o I don't really have anything to add that the above reviewers haven't already said. The notes complement each other perfectly, and while it is more in the vein of mainstream perfumes, the sugar and currant keep this from being too high-pitched on me (which happened with See Thyself, Devil!). This is fun, flirty, and a little dark, and I'm here for it.

Shoutout to @Orafish in particular for singing this ones praises and convincing me to leap for the bottle. I'm glad I did. :heart: