Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Seajewel

Bay Rum Hair Gloss

As stated, this is basically the bay rum SN but as a hair gloss. For some this will be a little too masculine. For me, this just smells delicious. And pirate-y. YARRR.

For those not familiar with bay rum (and yes I did my research!), this is going to be a mixture of rum (specifically spiced rum, with bits of vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and/or cardamom) and bay plant, i.e. pimenta/pimento, which is a really distinctively jagged, almost bramble-y note, much like mountain laurels themselves. There is a drop of citrus in there - lime oil? - but it is layered underneath some pretty bold greens and spices. And indeed, the hair gloss lives up to this description. It is richly layered, not too boozy, but has a strong kick to it, with tons of bay (if you're questioning, sniff a fresh bay leaf and you'll get the picture!), and a lot of deep, unsweetened spice.

The combination does read traditionally masculine. Is that stopping me? No. I'm keeping this hair gloss and using it to layer with both some sweeter blends and some of the really sinful musky/resinous oils. On its own, I don't know that I would just spray Bay Rum HG and call it a day. However, as a compliment to the many perfume oils I've acquired from BPAL, I think it works divinely and I plan to use it a lot for that.

Sprayed on my arm because my hair has something in it already.
Wet- sweetly spiced booze, Turkish bay, there is a aquatic note on my skin (wait whaaaa!), and citrus rind.
Dry- Bay forward, the booze is very lowkey, frankincense and myrrh, literally I'm getting the smoke from the  censer.

Lushies will recognize the wet scent as in the Glogg family.
Can't wait to pair this with Hag Grey, I suspect they will do amazingly together.