Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Frozen Pulse and Heart of Fire

Contentment, a soul warmed by inner fires: cashmere wool, Atlas cedar, and sweet amber with caramelized vetiver, chestnut, and hazelnut cream.

This is a warm and cozy scent, starting out with the nutty notes (I love the lab's nutty notes!) at the forefront, along with a crisp, cold note on top that I can't quite place. This note fades gradually, almost melting into the mellower woolly note as if thawing by a warm fire. As it dries, a softly smoky note comes out that makes me think of roasting nuts by a cozy fireplace. This might be a combo of the cedar and caramelized vetiver? After drydown, it develops a creamy sweetness over all the other notes, melding everything together into a smooth, warm scent. It's unique in my collection and I am quite happy I blind-bottled this one!

RUN don't walk to this one if you are a Two Sheep Two Goat fan! The swoonworthy vetiver that permeates that infamously glorious Weenie from days of yore is here to STAY in Frozen Pulse and Heart of Fire. A complex, grassy vetiver that is earthy and rooted, but neither the typical dirt note nor grass note that many of the greener blends from the lab can have. It is a uniquely grassy *vetiver*, and there is nothing else quite like it. I had to put on some Two Sheep Two Goat along with it for comparison purposes, especially because like, CASHMERE WOOL are you kidding me?

Frozen Pulse is noticeably sweeter - all that sweet amber, caramelization of the vetiver, and hazelnut cream - and leaning a bit into that foodier realm. There is nothing foodie about Two Sheep to me; it is all baby lambs, smoky-grassy, dark and swoony, and the vetiver and wool are so deeply married, there really is no untangling the two. In Frozen Pulse, the sweetness really infuses the cashmere wool part so that it is less organic I guess you could say, and more a lived-in sweater kind of wool, one that you've maybe been baking in, or spritzed some of your favorite gourmand perfume on. This wool is not still attached to a sheep!

Swirled into the creamy sweet notes here, I can also smell the uniquely Christmasy chestnut that is part nutty and part sweaty in a really appealing way. I can't detect the cedar at all so far, in case that's a concern. There is also nothing gritty/ashy/harsh about the smoke or vetiver in this blend. The caramelized part in the notes worried me, since caramel and cream are both scary notes on my skin, but so far, the vetiver is what persists, for hours and hours, and it holds all those concerns well in check. This does not travel into Zoe and the Goat territory of caramelization, but it is a slight glance in that direction. Whenever I sniff the patch of arm that has Two Sheep Two Goat, I rather wish that Frozen Pulse had a *little* less sweetness so that the cashmere wool would be more present and earthy the way it is in the Weenie. But that is a small quibble.

This is the vetiver we've been dreaming of for years, my friends. Frozen Pulse, make my heart beat fast.

Hm... A curious, caramel chestnut vetiver... wrapped in soft, dry wool.  

Within a minute or so, something sweet and golden warms it up. There's the amber, carrying with it a well-blended, cedary rustic quality. The vetiver---well-mannered and a little smoky---combines with the wool to remind of Two Sheep and Two Goats. But there's a distinctive caramel nuttiness here, and the amber-cedar vibe, to set this one apart.

Despite loving absolutely everything in this, and appreciating them in combination... I'm not sure the blend is suckering me in as completely and immediately as I thought it would. But it's intriguing, and I can imagine sampling it several times before deciding whether to upgrade.

This is Two Sheep and Two Goats' sweet, grassy vetiver on a bed of sweet nuts, a little cedar, and a bit of the perfume-y, sweet amber note emerging after it has been on the skin for a while. The chestnut is noticeable at first, but then the sweet, rich hazelnut cream takes over, and along with the caramelized aspect of the vetiver, it's almost like a nutty toffee vetiver or caramelized nuts and vetiver. It stays like that for most of the scent's wear, but by the end of the day, the grassy vetiver has managed to rise above the caramelized nuts (which at this point, reside in the background), and some of the wool has finally peeked through.

I don't like this as much as Two Sheep and Two Goats, but that's mainly because I like that vanilla as an accompaniment more than caramelized nuts. Buuuut it is definitely a cousin to that scent, and if you're missing that and don't mind caramel or nuts, you should give this a whirl. I'll be hanging on to my decant.

Edited by doomsday_disco

This blend is a cozy, warm, hazelnut-forward scent. The hazelnut cream and wool notes are at the forefront, but the cedar and vetiver are definite background presences, taking this blend beyond "cozy semi-gourmand" territory. The vetiver isn't loud or smoky, but blends with the cedar in a way that adds a deep, smooth woodsiness in the background. Still primarily a warm, cozy scent, but with a backbone that sets it apart.

SO MUCH HAZELNUT CREAM.  ...wait... it's doing things on my skin... Fruit? ... a titch of spice....weeeee bit of vetiver...

Hmmm... this isn't nearly as foody as I was expecting from that initial hazelnut blast.  It's very warm and comforting.  Cozy.  Nice.  Crackling fireplace is a good descriptor. More smokey and woody as it wears, and it will probably age in glorious fashion. And I can't believe how well the cedar is behaving itself. This is a good foody winter scent for non-foody loving people.  :yum: 

Edited by VetchVesper

Very cozy! Something about the combination of vetiver, chestnut, and cedar gives the impression of spiciness without being the runaway train that is cinnamon on my skin. The amber is sweetening up the perfume and adding a dusty glow, kind of reminiscent of the amber in Horses, I think? The cashmere wool and hazelnut cream make me feel like I'm cuddling under a warm blanket with a hot drink. I love perfumes that are a blend of woody and foody notes and this is in that category!

This perfume starts out a chewy foody scent a little like carmel, from the hazelnut and chestnut and caramelized vetiver. You can really smell the chestnut which makes this unique. At this stage it smells a lot like Sarah Jessica Parker's Stash perfume. It gets more spicy as it dries and at the drydown fades to a soft comforting scent perfect for sweater weather. Cashmere is the first note listed so that makes perfect sense. This smells like expensive department store perfume for fall that would be so nice to smell on the collar of your sweater when you put the sweater on later after wearing the perfume prior. I smell the amber and the vetiver at the end. I tried pairing this with The Governing Dark's Begun because they are sister perfumes from the Two Poems About Winter release and they really do compliment each other, both smelling like the forefront to winter, Frozen Pulse and Heart of Fire being late fall early winter and The Governing Dark's Begun being early fall very late spring, both announcing the coming winter season. I love both poems and am so glad to have gotten these. 

i had to grab a decant of this, because cashmere wool sounds heavenly!  cedar always plays nice on me, and amber is usually my friend. and i'm trained to come a-runnin' when starbrow snaps her fingers and says "good vetiver, people!" because she knows That Good-Good Vetiver. 

but i put off trying this one for a while, because the nuttiness is almost overwhelming from the vial, and too much of a nutty thing going on in perfume can sometimes turn my stomach a little.

i needn't have worried though, because the nuttiness instantly recedes to the back end.  it hangs out there giving warmth and body.  i can find it if i squint.  but it's not overwhelming at all.

and oh my lawd. .. all the other notes are everything i hoped they'd be!  how often does that happen? the vetiver is indeed The Good-Good.  dry-grassy and just a touch smokey, but not in a scary way.  that cashmere wool is EVERYTHING.   i wish i knew how to describe it better than the name does, but it's just wooly and soft and wonderful and that's all i can say about it.  the cedar and amber hang out in the middle, behind the vetiver/wool and ahead of the nuts.  the cedar is just softly woodsy, not agressive at all. the amber is sweet and resinous, just a touch perfumey but not powdery.
really, i think every note here is just my favorite version of itself.

this blend is not what i'd call super sweet, but it has a creamy sweetness overall that just smashes my happy button. nothing is obnoxious or agressive, everything is soft and comforting.  so very good.

Edited by MamaMoth

This is blend best suited for fall and Halloween. I get a roasted bonfire cedar melange in my skin. I recognize the aptly disguised vetiver and the wool accord. However, there's is no hint of sweetness or cream in there. This scent reminds me vaguely of Dusk in Autumn, namely the caramelized aspect and the bonfire smoke wafting in the distance. Gentle, smoky, woody and a tiny tiny tiny bit acrid.

The only note that gave me pause here was the hazelnut cream because cream notes have been doing abominable things on my skin lately.  This, however, is not hazelnut cream but just a lovely toasted hazelnut.  Caramelized, even.  With lovely roasted chestnut and that beautiful, beautiful sweet vetiver of Two Sheep and Two Goats.  It goes on sweet and even foodie but quickly becomes something more as the vetiver develops.  Maybe a little amber, maybe a little cashmere, no cedar that I can detect.  I love toasty nut notes and the vetiver lasts all day and this is just a beauty.