Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

By Thys Fyre I Warme My Handys

A hearth-warmed scent of joyous feasting dedicated to Janus, the lord of transitions, doorways, beginnings and endings: bonfire smoke, mulled wine, warm bread, fruits simmered in hypocras, and honeyed oat cakes spiced with clove, saffron, and nutmeg.

In the bottle, this smells like something specific, but I have no idea what. It reminds me ever so slightly of fruitcake, but as if it's gone off a bit. It has none of the butter or spices, but there's a hint of dried fruit and wine, but like the wine is slightly vinegary maybe? It's hard to pick out any one note, but I find it slightly off-putting. 

On and wet it's very similar at first to what was in the bottle, then very quickly goes in to an AGRESSIVE bandaid/plastic/medicinal scent that lasts long enough that the first time I tried it I just washed it off since it was so nasty. I toughed it out longer for my second test, and eventually the hardcore bandaid smell does fade, but it never really smells good. It's just sort of musty, with a slightly medicinal quality underneath. No spice, no oatcakes, no fruit--hugely disappointing.

I'm sure there's someone out there who will get everything I hoped this would be, but my skin absolutely hates it.

I really love this. It smells like a cozy old-fashioned fire-warmed kitchen: there's a cheerful blaze in the hearth and the table is set with gently-spiced baked goods and mulled wine. It's atmospheric and cozy and lifts my spirits.

Oh, yum.

I can smell ALL of the notes in this, depending on how I turn my hand and how long the oil has been on my skin. Mostly, it's a little smoke, oats, and spiced wine. It gets a little wine-ier with time, a bit more honey to it. Fortunately, it does not amp to high heaven the way wine often does on me, and it's just so cozy and pleasant. If I sit there and really inhale and think about it, I can sorta understand how LdyKnight gets "band-aid" out of the scent, but it just doesn't have that effect on my chemistry.

Cozy concoction of soft, spiced, and fruity wine and oven-warmed, smoky bread, along with some oats and honey. 

It's a quiet mix on my skin, soft as if a little diluted by its multitude of notes. The sense of diluted complexity reminds me of some of the Lunacy moon perfumes. It's sweet and detailed up close, and mainly smoky and fruity from further away.

I love it and will probably bottle it if it settles well.

This one is predominantly a wine and fruits scent on me, lightly spiced and backed by some oats and the yeastiness of the bread. The smoke is prominent in the beginning, but it softens with wear. I do get a touch of a vinegar-y quality to this in the background -- I'm not sure if that's this particular wine, the fruits accompanying it, or the smoke going iffy on me. Or maybe a combo of all three. Sadly, it ends up being too sharp on me after a while. :( 

As far as recent wine scents go, I'd go for Mulled Wine and a Wool Blanket over this one (and I'll stick with Hay Moon for my oatcake fix).

Edited by doomsday_disco

I'm a medievalist, so I had to get this! It goes on with a swirl of wine and fruit, and I wish it stayed there! I do start to get the band-aid quality as it dries - not sure what's causing that, maybe the smoke? As I persevere, after a while, I think now I'm getting the oatcakes and bread coming to the front. I like this stage; unfortunately it's also very faint at this point! I can barely smell it on my arm.

I wanted to like this more, but I'm glad I tried it!

Wet, this is very fruity and dusty. As it dries, the other notes come forward more and I lose the dusty quality. I still get a lot of wine and fruit, but also smoke, the honeyed oat cakes, and savory fresh bread. I like the honeyed oat cake note, it's spicy and buttery with a sweet dollop of honey. The wine and fruits fade fairly quickly, unfortunately, but there are enough other notes that stick around to make it worthwhile. The wine may have been drunk already, but there are still oat cakes aplenty.

Myrrh, plummy wine, bread and honey cakes. It's sweet, honeyed, and delicious. Medium throw and wear length.

Dang my wine-amping skin! In the decant, this is totally my jam--spicy, complex, with a truly glorious honey note. On my skin, it flattened out into a vague, wine-soaked spice bread. At 4 hours, the wine finally quit dominating. This one's scent-locket only for me.

Smells exactly like McDonald's Tangy BBQ sauce to me! Fascinating. Hard no as a perfume, but if you've ever wanted to smell like that, here's your ticket.

In the bottle, the honey and spices are most prominent, but when I put it on my skin amps the wine like crazy. Fortunately, the wine fades after a while, and the spices and bread become more prominent. The smoke is just a whisper in the background. It honestly reminds me a little of glogg. Like, don't love.

Floured wooden cutting board, acrid woodsmoke, and really sharp mulling spices with a tang of sour, red wine.  Dries down to sharp cinnamon-ish smelling spices (reminds me of bad potpourri) and a woodsmoke note that I find off putting and a little suffocating.