Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Red Rose, Black Pepper, & Black Vegetal Musk

I am so not the world's biggest rose perfume fan, yet I have been enjoying the occasional rose in blends for the past, oh, sneaky few years or so. I am a huge black musk fan and will go for a good black pepper, so I was really hoping they would stand up to the rose.

In this case, it is the rose show in a thickly perfumey kind of way. A quite mature rose, dark and shadowed, with some fallen petals, almost, er, rotting. The black pepper adds to its spiciness but the sharpness of those two notes is hyped up by whatever perfumery element is girding them. Unfortunately, that element is not black musk to my nose, since I do love me some black musk. It's not quite the burn of some of the recent Liliths and Weenies, thankfully, but it's strongly old-fashioned and a bit...90s perfume counter. I don't think this leans either masculine or feminine, in spite of that, considering that the girliness of the rose is pretty well balanced with the cologne-like black pepper, but it doesn't feel like me either way.

I don't smell black musk at all. Please report for duty!

This trio seems to be blended with the same kind of slant as the 2021 Liliths and Weenies. If you enjoyed a lot of that collection, and are looking for something that straddles rose and spice, masc and femme, I'd recommend Red Rose, Black Pepper, & Black Vegetal Musk. If that was not your era of BPAL, I think I'd skip this trio.

Red Rose, whiff of black pepper which adds a nice spicy note. The black musk makes it a very deep rose. Good throw.

This is a very musky red rose on me with tons of throw. The black pepper is there when I sniff up close, but the throw is black musk and a smooth red rose with velvety rose petals that could probably last for days. (It's even stronger than Stainless Steel Dildo, which I have on the other arm and has strong throw itself.)

The throw on this one may actually be too much for me, as I'm not typically a fan of black musk and it is really strong here and adding even more strength to the rose, but it was nice to get to try it. I'd recommend this one to someone who wants a very bold rose scent.

Utterly gorgeous sexy rose with an amazing spicy floral musk.  Stays on forever and gets better and better as the day goes on.  Wore it yesterday by itself; woke up today and it still smelled amazing.  Re-applied today and layered with Snow White.  Really nice.

I agree this has a similar vibe to some of the Liliths! This reminds me of one in particular, Sentence First, Verdict Afterwards. I wager they share the same red rose note. The black pepper doesn't come across as cooking spice at all, more like a carnation, like if rose was a carnation.

The black musk in this doesn't smell sharp, which was a pleasant surprise. Black musk can go absolutely, unbearably astringent and chemical. Well none of that here. If anything, it lends a soft, sweet powdery musk vibe, more Egyptian Musk than anything.

Sentence First, Verdict Afterwards reminds me a hella lot of Alchemic Muse's Phantasm, which I absolutely love. The overall effect is basically, I dunno...floral goth tomb powder musk? This is very much like that, too. Althought it shares similarities to Akima Botanicals Pepperose, this reads way softer especially as it dries down. 

I'm tempted to pick this up, but I already have a full of SFVA and Phantasm as well as a whipped soap. Up close, RRBPBVM smells a tad wonky, just slightly so, but I have to dig my nose in to find it. The waft/sillage is where the bread and butter is, though.

Although I wish this wasn't as similar to things I already own, I'm glad it absolutely exceeded my expectations and fears.

At the very least a keeper, I may cave and get a bottle anyway before these come down! :heart:

Gorgeous spicy musky rose! I agree a dark, gothic rose scent. Black musk can be a bit hit or miss on me, here is it beautiful giving a nice depth to the velvety red rose. 

I got this when it first came out & as a rose fan, it sounded amazing. Sadly, I can’t handle it. My skin turns this into a screaming rose soap that thinks it’s classy but it’s in the little broken soap dispenser of “fancy” restaurants. Even given a bit of time, it’s not calmed down. If anything, it’s gotten more fake rosey. 

it’s rare I dislike a rose, but this one succeeded. It’s now in corner where the naughty bottles go. 

Edited by Diesis