Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Olibanum, Australian Sandalwood, & Blue Tansy

Ok here goes! In the decant it's all cozy, fuzzy sandalwood. On my skin it becomes a big cloud of sandalwood. It lingers and lingers. And lingers. 

Just when I'm getting tired of it, the blue tansy peeks out. As the sandalwood fades, the tansy comes forward more - but never entirely. It's now an herbal woods, simple and soft. Eventually they both fade, but this beauty lasts longer than most of the labs duets & trios.

If you like the sandalwood from Pottery Phoenix, Violens, or Chintamati-dhupa, do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle.

I wasn't sure what to expect. Olibanum is a type of frankincense, & it doesn't have much depth or impression when I've encountered it from BPAL. But this one smells nice, sweet, & almost like smoke from the resin smoldering on a coal. Sandalwood has been hit or miss for me, bought way too much sandalwood incense in the past & burnt myself out. BUT this Australian Sandalwood is rich, warm, & "fuzzy", like the person above me mentioned. As for the Blue Tansy, this is my first encounter. I know it's kind of expensive too. It adds a nice crisp & light floral, & also seems to be the final impression after it's faded. Overall, this is a lovely blend, & I'm glad I bought it even tho I was scared I wouldn't like it. Has a medium throw & doesn't seem to last long tho.

Edited by Rane.

So I went for a decant of this one because TAL Isychia taught me that I do in fact really love blue tansy as a note. This scent is complex and morphs several times during its wear time. It starts out with deep, resinous, slightly sweet frankincense, with the blue tansy adding a bright, herbaceous floral note. As it dries down, a dry, soft sandalwood note amps up and calms down the resins. Eventually, after drydown, the frankincense becomes dominant again, but there's a faint breath of fuzzy sandalwood behind it, while the tansy is still there adding brightness. It's beautiful and complex, but the resin notes are dominant enough that I'm not sure I'd reach for it often enough for a full bottle.

In the imp I'd almost mistake this for a lotus scent, as it has a waxy sweet and almost bubblegum quality to it. But I find this a bit more herbal, and if I search around I can find the frankincense. The frankincense is the strongest note on me, followed by a whisper of dry sandalwood. Tansy isn't a note I've tried much (or maybe ever? Not so sure now) and I'm finding it to be a bit sweet and waxy like lotus but there's also something a bit like chamomile to it. This is a really nice blend, it makes me think of a warm wildflower meadow. 

Coming back to this now that the bottle has aged a year. It's a favorite gentleman's cologne scent I go for. I like to pair it with a light floral single note or a rich patchouli. But this scent alone is remarkable. I like to think it adds an air of class, sophistication & mystery to me when I wear it. It's rich, warm, deep, slightly resinous, yet comforting & makes you wanna get close or be pulled close to someone wearing it. Goodness I wanna spray this all over my pillows & sheets! The blue tansy has really went into hiding. It's a note I wanted to experience more of. The person above me mentioned the scent took on a bubblegum scent, & that I can attribute to the olibanum/frankincense. I had a limited edition of a bottle from BPAL & Century Guild that had frankincense as the main note & it gave me herbal bubblegum scent.