Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Right, I hope I am posting this in the right place!!!

I love Pink Phoenix, and I also adore Pink Moon, 05 & 07. Are there any GC scents that have similar notes, so I can stock up on scents I can lay my hands on!! I have managed to find two bottles of Pink Phoenix, but no joy with either of the Pink Moons! :P So I need to get my fix of these gorgeous scents (she says hopefully!) from the GC collection. Any ideas?

TIA!

Actually, there *is* already a thread for this! It's in a different subforum, which is why you might have missed it - the Recommendations forum. The thread you want is pinned at the top - here's a direct link. If you have the notes, you can also browse the lab's site by notes from the search page. For example, using the advanced search (to search for discontinued scents too) I got the notes for all three scents:

Pink Moon 2005: phlox, tulip, daffodil, dogwood and muscari, dusted with pink sugar and honey, and a touch of the first strawberries of the season. Also, apparently phlox is 'a primary component of this Lunacy Blend'

Pink Moon 2007: sugared carnation and phlox

Pink Phoenix: vanilla bean, honeycomb, sugared pear, sweet pea and a dribble of strawberry.

Searching for phlox, I found 4 scents currently avaliable, which may smell similar (I've never tried any of them, including the two Pink Moons):

(Exhibition II) Garden Path With Chickens - Gustav Klimt:

Damp grass, ivy leaves, morning glory, daisy, rose geranium, heliotrope, white gardenia, climbing roses, peppery nasturtium, phlox, begonia, verbena and sun-warmed herbs

(Exhibition III) Bat - Albrecht Dürer:

Dusty amber, grey musk, red orchid, moonflower, night-blooming phlox, stock, honeysuckle, English ivy, toadflax, and purple salvia.

(Funereal Oils) Midnight:

An ethereal bouquet of night-blooming flowers. Evening primrose, ruellia, flowering nicotiana, wild petunia, panani-o-kai, night phlox, night gladiolus, moonflower and the elusive scent of Nottingham Catchfly.

(Picnic in Arkham) Arkham:

A shadowy, unapproachable forest of maple, birch, dogwood, cypress and pine softened by a garland of New England wildflowers: bergamot, columbine, rue anemone, blue violet, creeping phlox, bloodroot, toadflax, and pixie moss.

They don't look as sweet, though, so you might be out of luck. If you can explain what you liked about them, maybe people can suggest alternatives?

Edited to add:

I see Rosaleen beat me too it. :P BTW, don't worry if your post seems to vanish - it will have been merged with the existing thread in the recs forum.

Edited by dzurlady

Oh, whoops! :P

Sorry!! Thank you for the replies though!

I like the honey, sugary sweetness, with the underlying fruit/floral! I've discovered that I love sweet scents!

I have got Midnight coming in an order! It should be here very soon!

Thanks for the link to the thread! :D

Oh, whoops! :P

Sorry!! Thank you for the replies though!

I like the honey, sugary sweetness, with the underlying fruit/floral! I've discovered that I love sweet scents!

I have got Midnight coming in an order! It should be here very soon!

Thanks for the link to the thread! :D

No problem. I love it when you want a scent and find you already have it coming! Or when you get frimped something you want to try. :D You might also be interested in looking through this thread. (Some suggestions are foody rather than sweet, but there are some other suggestions in there.)

I may have partially answered my own question here, but in case anyone else is interested, I'm gonna post it anyway...

Sleepy Moon is my favorite BPAL, and I've been hoarding it like crazy, and I just discovered that GC Juliet smells so similar on me (??? it's true)

I have no freakin clue why, as it seems that none of the notes are the same. Juliet is "Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear." I never even considered trying it because it sounded like it would be too sharp or too fresh smelling, and I'm not a huge fruit fan (or so I claim....)

I caught a whiff of Juliet at a recent Meet & Sniff, and scooped up an imp because it reminded me a lot of Sleepy Moon. After putting Juliet on my skin today, I realized that it is just so awesomely similar that I need more. Why? How? I don't know. It doesn't even haveany of the same notes in it!

All I can say for sure is, Juliet has a striking similarity to Sleepy Moon (and, incidentally, Lush's B Never Cocktail soap) to my nose. Should I blame chemistry? My nose? Whatever the case, I'm taken and need two bottles soon.

Does anyone agree with this assessment? And if so, what would you layer with Juliet to make it even more similar to Sleepy Moon? (I've also posted this reply in the Lush/BPAL thread for Juliet's Cocktail simiarity.)

Can anyone give suggestions for something similar to Shanghai Tunnel? I don't find Singing moon all that close on me unfortunately. TIA :P

This is totally a YMMV, but on me Zarita the Doll Girl smells like Tamamo-no-Mae! I don't know why 'cuz they don't seem to share any notes, Zarita is white carnation, iris, orange blossom, and sugared cream & Tamamo-no-Mae is soft skin musk, brushed by white tea leaf, rice flower, black locust flower, white sandalwood kodo soke, dry ginger, benzoin gum, and Amacha. Maybe it's just my skin chemistry, but that's fine with me! :P

They aren't identical, but Pirate Moon is much like Hellfire for girls...

so... i am in love with both Lurid Library and Black Lace. i'm almost positive that the musk of infernal servants in LL is the indian musk that's in BL, and my skin absolutely loves it. i could roll around in the stuff!

i used the search function on the Lab's page, but nothing came up. is there a GC scent that uses this same musk? i've heard some people comparing antique lace to black lace, but i've never smelled it. is it the musk that makes them similar or just the vanilla?

if there isn't: Beth, pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease use this musk in a GC scent, especially with a bit of vanilla and/or incense. :P

so... i am in love with both Lurid Library and Black Lace. i'm almost positive that the musk of infernal servants in LL is the indian musk that's in BL, and my skin absolutely loves it. i could roll around in the stuff!

i used the search function on the Lab's page, but nothing came up. is there a GC scent that uses this same musk? i've heard some people comparing antique lace to black lace, but i've never smelled it. is it the musk that makes them similar or just the vanilla?

I don't think that the musks in Black Lace and Antique Lace are identical. They do bear some similarities as blends, and if you like one, you might like the other. But I wouldn't say one is a substitute for the other. For me, Black Lace was mostly dry and smoky, with a backdrop of vanilla musk, while Antique Lace was predominately sugary vanilla, with barely any musk. I've only worn Antique Lace a couple of times, but the musk didn't strike me as being the same.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else that would be similar to Black Lace, but I'll be sure to post here if I ever find anything.

I don't think that the musks in Black Lace and Antique Lace are identical. They do bear some similarities as blends, and if you like one, you might like the other. But I wouldn't say one is a substitute for the other. For me, Black Lace was mostly dry and smoky, with a backdrop of vanilla musk, while Antique Lace was predominately sugary vanilla, with barely any musk. I've only worn Antique Lace a couple of times, but the musk didn't strike me as being the same.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else that would be similar to Black Lace, but I'll be sure to post here if I ever find anything.

thanks, neelah!

I've been here for a few months now, and I've come to terms with the fact that I'm obsessed out of my BRAIN for Sleepy Moon!

I also like Ode on Melancholy, New Orleans, Veil, Ultraviolet, and White Phoenix.

And, I'm crazy-go-nuts about TAL White Light and Peace (they smell gorgeous and really make life better)!

Notes I seem to like include lavender, opium, jasmine, violet, musk, gardenia....

Any recs for more scents along these lines? I figure, give Beth some more money, you know, for the bibby and all.... :P

Thanks in advance, lovies!

Give Oneiroi a test. Lavender and jasmine! It's one of my faves.

I had a short craze for Sophia, too--lavender and musk.

Temple of Dreams is also a magnificent lavender.

Queen Gertrude is a beautiful scent. The violet is a tranquil presence.

And Sybaris combines lavender and violet. Once when I wore it, I was told that it evoked happy memories of someone's childhood home.

Edited by Thursdae

AEris, can you wear rose? If you can I think you might like Psyche (Bulgar rose, Chinese white musk, lavender, orchid and frankincense). Pontarlier may also fit your tastes, it's green and herbal yet pretty and girly at the same time (ferns, lilac, blackcurrant, rose, lavender, sugar and absinthe).

Unfortunately, they are all about to sail away to Discon Island, but many of the Muses have a real floral-herbal feel, which is what I got from Sleepy Moon overall. (Although, as you know, Sleepy Moon and I didn't get along splendidly, and I sent my bottle away to live with... oh, it was you! :P )

If you want to get some general herbal recs, there is a thread here for your perusal - feel free to bump it with questions or comments, too.

That's kind of a tough one. I think Sleepy Moon is pretty unique.

I was thinking about this last night, when I was dabbing it on before bed. I can't think of a single blend that comes close, but maybe you could layer a dab of Opium Poppy with a bit of Dirty and one of the lavender sleep blends like Somnus...or maybe Sophia.

But Sleepy Moon is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece in my book. I hope Beth re-releases it one day.

No advice, just commiseration. It is one of my all time favorites. TKO doesn't work for me at all, but Sleepy Moon- **love**

why oh why did i have to fall for la noche buena? all my BPAL yule funds have been spent and i cannot buy a bottle before it's buried away for the season (i'll be praying for its return in 08). can anyone think of a GC equivalent???

if there isn't: Beth, pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease use this musk in a GC scent, especially with a bit of vanilla and/or incense. :P

you know, I may be crazy, but I think that Euterpe is similar to Black Lace. Black Lace is on the vanilla side and a bit warmer and sweeter, while Euterpe is on the floral carnation side. But they both have an amazing musk base. if got an imp laying around try it and see what you think.

I spilled my bottle of singing moon and I've had no luck snagging Shanghai Tunnel, so i was wondering if anyone can suggest a more common replacement for my beloved singing moon?

Um...yeah, I love you all!!! :P

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm glad to see that some are already loves of mine! Man, you guys are the best : -) Wishlist-amending I go!