Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I wore Gibbous Moon today and found it to be fantastic. I only bought a half bottle though. =/ Can anyone suggest something similar?

Does Candy Butcher have the same grainy Swiss Missy consistency as Bliss? Because it feels like I'm snorting Swiss Miss with it and am worried that that's just how BPAL Chocolate smells on me. But I seriously do want to try Candy Butcher.

Does Candy Butcher have the same grainy Swiss Missy consistency as Bliss? Because it feels like I'm snorting Swiss Miss with it and am worried that that's just how BPAL Chocolate smells on me. But I seriously do want to try Candy Butcher.

Candy Butcher is more the dark chocolate version of Bliss' milk chocolate. I actually think CB smells a lot like Nutella; there's a nuttiness to it, at least to my nose. And CB is a more sophisticated, complex scent than Bliss.

Honestly, it did for me -- with the addition of moth balls. BPAL chocolate (except white chocolate) just does not work on me.

If you layer Havana with one of the sexy-lipstick-cherry-perfume type scents (maybe Jailbait), you'd get a pretty good idea of what Formula 54 smells like. I have one on each wrist and the base notes are reminiscent of one another.

I'm loving the cocoa, ricemilk and teakwood notes from Boomslang, but am not so keen on the Snake Oil being there as it tends to go super sweet on me. I'm looking for something with the warm light creamy woodiness, but with out the sweetness. Got any Recommendations?

Oh, she beat me to it! But I would add that if you get a new imp and don't like it, let it sit around a few months and try it again. Aging it really mellows the sandalwood, which is kind of sharp when it's new.

This might sound crazy (OK, it sounds crazy) but I found the throw from Lyonesse to be very similar to Selkie, even though when I sniff the bottle or my wrist they're completely different. I think it's the sea moss taking over. In any case, I'm not complaining. :P

I'm always pimping Freak Show...it has that same cocoa note as Boomslang, but all the other notes blend in a way that you wouldn't think from reading them.

The Candy Butcher is chocolatey and creamy, but light and sweet - not like hot chocolate, but like the froth on top. I don't know if that would help, but it's in no way heavy like Snake Oil.

Edited by LadyMedb

Thanks for the suggestions, some of the cocoa ones are on my to try list, even though cocoa tends to disappear pretty fast on me.

Mianjo, I bought an imp of Freak Show off you a few weeks ago! Lovely stuff, comes out nice and tangy.

I think it's the rice milk I think that has me most intrigued, I love that nutty creaminess, haven't seen it listed in any other oils yet.

Thanks all for your help.

I recently discovered Tulzscha and it's wonderful! But also horribly difficult to find more of. :P I'm going to keep my eye out for it, but in the meantime, anyone know any GC scents that smell similar?

I used the lab search engine and found that the only current scent with cucumber is just cucumber (the Squirting Cucumber one) and most of the mint scents have florals in them. Envy sounds like it might be the closest... Any suggestions would be most welcome!

I've seen a lot of Snow White = Dana O'Shee, The Unicorn, or Szepasszony comparisons.

I never thought of it before, but those 4 are all in my personal Top Ten list, so I decided to give layering a whirl.

The Unicorn + Dana = Pretty close. Really light, but w/o that hint of "green" that's in SW.

Szepasszony + Dana = Good, but not as sweet as SW.

The Unicorn + Szep. + Dana = WHERE DID THE SCENT GO?? I get a really light combo of the three. Smells clean and fresh though. Hmmm...

Side note- I get a slight plasticky note from the combos that I don't get from the individual blends. :P Oh well, I'll stick to the individual scents. Dana + Unicorn is pretty nice though, may yet wear that again.

I recently discovered Tulzscha and it's wonderful! But also horribly difficult to find more of. :P I'm going to keep my eye out for it, but in the meantime, anyone know any GC scents that smell similar?

I used the lab search engine and found that the only current scent with cucumber is just cucumber (the Squirting Cucumber one) and most of the mint scents have florals in them. Envy sounds like it might be the closest... Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Envy is way too herbal (dark green, if that makes sense) to be close to Tulzscha, IMO. Squirting Cucumber plus Grr (Panacea) might be what you're looking for.

Any recommendations for a BPAL GC that smells like Sleepy Moon? I'm totally obsessed! :P

I wore Gibbous Moon today and found it to be fantastic. I only bought a half bottle though. =/ Can anyone suggest something similar?

Here's a belated reply...

Gibbous Moon: cucumber, white ginger, moonflower, madonna lily, hyacinth, Irish moss, orris. So you can compare my sniffs, I got cucumber bitter green, lily/hyacinth floral, and moss/orris earthy. There are two LEs and two GCs you might want to try. I wouldn't say they're similar enough to buy a bottle unsniffed, though.

Singing Moon (grave grass, meadowsweet, marsh hellebore, rock sea-lavender, Irish Lady's-tresses, thistle, wood bitter-vetch, autumn fires) - Not cucumber, but a slightly bitter green floral.

Ghastly Garden, still available until 11/15 (oleander, water hemlock, sugared nectar, putrefying wet greenery, sap, rosary peas, withered roses, nightshade berries) - Another green floral, slightly tart despite the sugared nectar. There's just the lightest fruit note when dry.

Orpheus, Salon (green mandarin, citrus peel, neroli, narcissus, stephanotis, blue lavender, crushed green stems, willow branch, cedar, benzoin, pale musk) - Tart, slightly green floral. I'd say the florals in this are the most similar to Gibbous Moon of these four suggestions, but it's less green.

Schrodinger's Cat (tangerine, pink grapefruit, sugared lime, chocolate, peppermint, lavender, oakmoss, zdravetz) - OK, I would not call this "similar", but you might like it as an inexpensive substitute. It's not green, but quite citrusy so it's still a cool scent (cool-smelling not Cool, dude). The lavender and peppermint blend into an herby floral, not as heady as Gibbous Moon. The moss and zdravetz give it a similar earthiness. And when it dries, there's just a hint of chocolate, not sweet or foody.

Here's a belated reply...

Gibbous Moon: cucumber, white ginger, moonflower, madonna lily, hyacinth, Irish moss, orris. So you can compare my sniffs, I got cucumber bitter green, lily/hyacinth floral, and moss/orris earthy. There are two LEs and two GCs you might want to try. I wouldn't say they're similar enough to buy a bottle unsniffed, though.

Singing Moon (grave grass, meadowsweet, marsh hellebore, rock sea-lavender, Irish Lady's-tresses, thistle, wood bitter-vetch, autumn fires) - Not cucumber, but a slightly bitter green floral.

Ghastly Garden, still available until 11/15 (oleander, water hemlock, sugared nectar, putrefying wet greenery, sap, rosary peas, withered roses, nightshade berries) - Another green floral, slightly tart despite the sugared nectar. There's just the lightest fruit note when dry.

Orpheus, Salon (green mandarin, citrus peel, neroli, narcissus, stephanotis, blue lavender, crushed green stems, willow branch, cedar, benzoin, pale musk) - Tart, slightly green floral. I'd say the florals in this are the most similar to Gibbous Moon of these four suggestions, but it's less green.

Schrodinger's Cat (tangerine, pink grapefruit, sugared lime, chocolate, peppermint, lavender, oakmoss, zdravetz) - OK, I would not call this "similar", but you might like it as an inexpensive substitute. It's not green, but quite citrusy so it's still a cool scent (cool-smelling not Cool, dude). The lavender and peppermint blend into an herby floral, not as heady as Gibbous Moon. The moss and zdravetz give it a similar earthiness. And when it dries, there's just a hint of chocolate, not sweet or foody.

What about Midnight? No cucumber, but all those night-bloomers, and that absolutely beautiful moonflower.

I think Blue Moon (this year's at least), if you can get your hands on it, is close too.

And maybe Zorya?

Try layering Squirting Cucumber with Tokyo Stomp or Mad Hatter--the Stomp is a little too sweet but I think the Mad Hatter + Cuke is close...

Any recommendations for a BPAL GC that smells like Sleepy Moon? I'm totally obsessed! :P

I love sleepy moon - it's one of my all time favorites. I didn't think there was much that smelled like it, but after wearing Pirate Moon for a few days, I think it's pretty similar. It's not exact, but it has that wonderful smooth sandalwood that Sleepy Moon has.

Random observation: On extreme drydown, Dana O'Shee smells very, very similar to Snow White. Strange but true.