Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

This may sound strange, as they have absolutely no notes in common (that I can remember), but 51 smells strikingly like Hungry Ghost Moon on me. Not sure why!

I like rose scents and have been looking for the 'perfect' one for me. I bought a bottle of Rose Moon and I just love it, but once this bottle is gone I will need something new. I have read some of the reviews of Tarot: the Empress and thought it sounded like it might be similar.

IMO, to my nose, Empress and Rose Moon are very different. Unfortunately I don't have Rose moon, I'm remembering from memory, but it was a sweet rose? Empress is almost all rose (I don't know what kind, but I know it's not tea rose as in London) <snip>

I think a closer similarity to Rose Moon is Hope from CD. Hope is much sweeter but I remember thinking they were very similar.

Rose Moon is actually a very soft bouquet, and not sweet. At least, on my skin it isn't sweet (and I tend to make sweet things even sweeter). So I have to disagree with Hope as a substitute for Rose Moon. I think the rose note is the same (it's also the same, it seems, as the rose notes in Abhisarika and Lady Luck Blues), but that's where the similarity ends. Hope is pure rose and sugar, sugar, sugar! Rose Moon is a gentle bouquet with a soft, somewhat wood-y base.

I haven't tried Empress, but if you like pure rose scents, you should pick up a bottle before it goes away! It sounds heavenly for rose lovers. (I love rose, but not necessarily in plain form. I like them in blends, such as Mata Hari.) (Then again, there's 2,5,7 in the GC, which might be similar.)

These are a few that seem like they might be similar, but I haven't tried all of them (or haven't tried them in a while), so please step in and say yea or nay:

Ode on Melancholy -- this sounds like it won't be quite as heavy on rose, but sounds very similar in character. (You could always layer in a pure rose)

Ouija - heavier on wood, but also sounds similar

Three Brides - this is more of an oriental than Rose Moon, and not as heavy on rose, but also similar in character

Les Fleurs du Mal - softened rose, not as complex as Rose Moon

The Temptation -this one contains black musk, so that will make a difference, but otherwise, it sounds similar

are there any general catalog scents that are similar to either of these, privilege and pruno?

or better yet has anyone tried them and can let know what they're like?

The first Click 'n' Ships for Pruno and Privilege orders just went out. Wait a day or two and you'll be able to see reviews under the Limited Editions heading.

I don't know if anyone can give you similar scents, since so far as I know nobody's got their orders yet, but you might have some luck choosing notes from Pruno and Privelege's descriptions and seeing what other blends have them.

The first Click 'n' Ships for Pruno and Privilege orders just went out. Wait a day or two and you'll be able to see reviews under the Limited Editions heading.

I don't know if anyone can give you similar scents, since so far as I know nobody's got their orders yet, but you might have some luck choosing notes from Pruno and Privelege's descriptions and seeing what other blends have them.

awsome thanks. im in australia and the lush forum over here has a group order and all our orders are due in tomorrow.... hopefully someone will have theirs and has reviewed it. fingers crossed.

A little mod note - I'm going to leave this as a standalone thread for a bit while people get their orders and comment, but it will then be merged into the main thread about GC-LE similarity. Thanks!

On me Malkuth is very similiar to Hellion, especially when wet and then after an hour or so. Then again my skin loves plum and eats spice, so it might just be me! I'd put money on Malkuth containing the same black plum as Hellion though.

Of course this mightn't be very helpful since Malkuth is being discontinued in the next few days.

Is there anything in the GC similiar to Tokyo Stomp with that wonderful vanilla mint that doesn't contain eucalyptus as well?

On me Malkuth is very similiar to Hellion, especially when wet and then after an hour or so. Then again my skin loves plum and eats spice, so it might just be me! I'd put money on Malkuth containing the same black plum as Hellion though.

Of course this mightn't be very helpful since Malkuth is being discontinued in the next few days.

Is there anything in the GC similiar to Tokyo Stomp with that wonderful vanilla mint that doesn't contain eucalyptus as well?

I don't think there's a vanilla mint in the GC, sadly.

I thought 51 was more similar to F5 than to HGM, though I can see (and may've mentioned) a similarity between them, as well.

On me F5 is verrry minty, cool and refeshing while 51 is more of a light floral with a hint of citrus. Haven't tried HGM so I can't compare that one.

Unfortunately, probably due to the mint, F5 evaporates off my skin in a matter of minutes so if there's more to it than a light citrus-mint I haven't gotten there.

I enjoy Mad Hatter as my favorite vanilla mint. Of course, Mad Hatter contains pennyroyal, not mint, and it has a different feel...

and I like it better than Tokyo Stomp.

The candy-fruity-fizziness of Pruno reminds me a bit of the Hamptons. I think the Hamptons is sweeter and lighter, and Pruno has a little more depth, and a hint of darkness.

That's got to be the ketchup! ..:: places tongue firmly in cheek ::..

You guys may notice I merged the Pruno & Privilege discussion into this thread, since the jailbird has flown and the Lab has taken the scents down.

I just had to say that I tried Silk Road for the first time today and it smells VERY much like Red Phoenix on my skin. So if anyone was looking for a replacement for Red Phoenix, that would be a good one to try!

Has anyone come across a GC oil that resembles Priala? I am currently besotted with her and although I don't plan on running out for quite some time I can see there's going to be much mourning and wailing when I do.

I have read that Laudanum does, but I cannot wear it as it turned to burning plastic on me.

Now that Dublin will be discontinued I'd like to find something similar. It sounded wonderful. Unfortunately won't have a chance to grab it before it is gone.

Edited by fatalbellydance

If anyone's looking for a GC equivalent of Poisson d'Avril, try Love-In-Idleness. On me, they have a nearly identical mixed spring flowers smell.

ETA

On me, Cleopatra Testing Poisons On Those Condemned To Death smells a lot like the April '07 13. Both chocolate/herbal goodness, which is weird since there are no chocolate or cocoa notes listed for Cleopatra Testing Poisons.

Edited by whiterosepetals

Just thought I would suggest that you try Bewitched if you're looking for something akin to the Agony of Heartache. It's a bit of a pale comparison, but to my nose they're very similar. The top notes of both are blackberry and sage. Bewitched is much softer and less fruity, because it lacks the lime, but it's the closest thing I've found.

Just tried Cancer 07 and La Belle Au Bois Dormant recently and got a similar scent from each. For me, the peach is the strongest notes, so if you amp this and want to seek out an alternative try La Belle.

notes for La Belle: Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew.

notes for Cancer 07: Wild lettuce, wild pear, chamomile, germanica orris, sweet pea, and mallow

Hey, just tried Croquet for the first time, and it is a less kicky version of Mi Go Brain Cannister to my nose. Good stuff!

N.

So, this isn't really a GC equivalent, but seems like the best place to put it....

I just finished reviewing crumpet rebellion, and I'm sure it has a lot to do with weird skin chemistry, but it reminded me strongly of sugar skull. Of course, sugar skull's an LE, too, but its definitely less rare than CR.

To make it more like CR, i would layer Sugar Skull with just a dab of Herr Drosselmeyer, and maybe a bit of a winey scent.

Um, that was convoluted. But there you have it. :P

Has anyone come across a GC oil that resembles Priala? I am currently besotted with her and although I don't plan on running out for quite some time I can see there's going to be much mourning and wailing when I do.

I have read that Laudanum does, but I cannot wear it as it turned to burning plastic on me.

I didn't find Laudanum even remotely similar to Priala. In fact, Laudanum smelled like barbeque on me. :D I haven't actually found anything too similar to Priala, though you might try layering Chintamani-Dhupa (unfortunately, another LE) and Shub-Niggurath. Note: I haven't actually tried this combination, but it seems like it might work. :P

Does anyone else get a softer version of Pink Moon 2007 with Zarita? I know it's not exactly GC, but it's still around for several months . . . :P

I've been dying to get my hands on Sugar Cookie for ages (at least it feels that way :D), but Mr. Nancy seems to have calmed the desperate hunt at least a little bit . . .

I have to raise my hand here and say thay Crumpet Rebellion does not remind me of Sugar Skull at all. Sugar Skull on me is maple syrup x 1000. So much so, it makes me utterly ill. On me CR is more tart red berries, vanilla, spicy sugar cookie. The berry notes blossoms on me sweeter vs tart in the dry down and a musky sexy aspect crops up too.

If I were to make GC comparisons, I would say it's maybe a distant cousin to MB: Closet and Knave of Hearts (the cassia/berry notes) But, IMO a ka-gillion times better. Knave of Hearts smelled something akin to "bacon" on me :P Wonky differances w/ skin chemistry :D