Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Does anyone know if Bayou is similar to Roux-Ga-Roux? Or is there something else in the GC that would be a closer match?

I found that Roux-Ga-Roux reminds me of Bayou, so I think they are similar, but as with all LEs, no GC is an exact match. I ordered Roux-Ga-Roux in the hope that I could wear that one (smells amazing on my girlfriend, like rotten bog on me) instead of Bayou, but alas I can't. :P

On me, Mme. Moriarty, Misfortune Teller smells like a fainter version of Eat Me, with a hint of cedar (which I’m attributing to the patchouli) mixed in. :P

I LOVE Snake Charmer, and am getting down to the last of my stash... Does anyone have any rec's for similar GC (or easier to find LE) scents?

What I love about it is that all the notes are so well blended, none really jumps out to the forefront. Also, exotic/indonesian spices are some of my favourite notes, and I think the light sweetness (i'm guessing that this is from the vanilla, black plum, black coconut, and amber) mixed with the spices is part of my obsession with SC. I'm not sure what the other notes smell like, so I'm not sure if they're a major part of what I love about this blend or not.

I do wear Snake Oil occasionally when I'm trying to go easy on my SC stash. It has a similar feel, but it's a fair bit sweeter and I don't feel as comfortable wearing it out. Spices, vanilla, and light fruits are definitely my favourites, and I really can't stand strong florals (unless it's just a hint of florals), black musk, and am not really fond of frankinscence, myrrh, etc.

Other scents I like that have a similar feel or share some of the notes as SC are Tombstone, MB: Underpants, Hanging Gardens, Silk Road, and Snake Oil.

I'd love any help you can offer. Thanks!

A lot of people have noted a similarity between Eat Me and Snake Charmer, though you'd never guess it from looking at the description of Eat Me.

I tried an imp of Eat Me based on those comparisons, and it actually did smell like a lighter daytime version of Snake Charmer on me.

A lot of people have noted a similarity between Eat Me and Snake Charmer, though you'd never guess it from looking at the description of Eat Me.

Hehe... i hate my body chemistry - on me Eat Me was bubble gum flavoured cotton candy and nothing else! Although, I did just order a scent locket, so maybe I should track that one down again and try it that way.

Has anyone found something similar to Dragon Moon? I still regret the day I accidentally spilled half of my new bottle while testing it. /crai

I love Tiresias the Androgyne, but the tobacco/caramel note on me is overpowering. All the stuff underneath is lovely but gets crushed.

Can someone recommend to me something like Tiresias without the tobacco and caramel? Many thanks!

Is there anything- GC or otherwise- similar to Ides of March? I absolutely love this scent but it's got no staying power on me. *sob*

ETA: Cairo smells exactly like Litha to me, which was totally unexpected.

Edited by for_the_nonce

Has anyone found something similar to Dragon Moon? I still regret the day I accidentally spilled half of my new bottle while testing it. /crai

I just recently tried Dragon Moon and thought that on me, it strongly resembled Neo-Tokyo plus a sort of apple-y scent. Might want to try Neo-Tokyo?

Is there anything similar to Antonino? Or that someone who loves Antonino should definitely try? It is one of my favorites, and a co-worker of mine loves it as well. She won't buy without sniffing first, so I'd like to get some ideas of others to share with her, as well as ideas of what to look for when Antonino is gone. (Though I'll definitely stock up before he goes, anyway!)

Funny you should mention that! I went through my imps a few days ago and retested Neo-Tokyo. I think it smells strikingly similar to Dragon Moon. Layer it with Embalming Fluid and it smells almost identical on me!

51 smells very similar to Hungry Ghost Moon. The only difference is that the citrus is made more green by honeydew, instead of a bright champagne-yellow that the white grapefruit created.

I think so too! On me, Hungry Ghost Moon is on the grapefruit side and 51 is honeydew melon instead. But very similar otherwise!

Also for those that love Snake Oil, I personally though Australian Copperhead smelled quite similar in the drydown. Not as deep, but definitely similar on my skin. Unfortunately, that is ALSO an LE, but thought I'd mention it lol

Edited by Brianne

51 smells very similar to Hungry Ghost Moon. The only difference is that the citrus is made more green by honeydew, instead of a bright champagne-yellow that the white grapefruit created.

I think so too! On me, Hungry Ghost Moon is on the grapefruit side and 51 is honeydew melon instead. But very similar otherwise!

Thank you! I really love HGM & it makes me very happy to know to that there is a GC that is very similar. :P

I accidentally discovered that when you layer Poisson D’Avril over Minotaur, it smells almost exactly like Gypsy Queen but w/o the carnation. I suppose if I added a touch of Hod, the three would create a dead ringer. Lovely!

Laudanum = Priala on me! It's a dead ringer except that it doesn't last nearly as long. I think it might be my skin amping the myrrh.

Does anyone know of a GC that shares the incense in Jacob's Ladder?

I tried an imp of Eat Me based on those comparisons, and it actually did smell like a lighter daytime version of Snake Charmer on me.

I had the same thing happen at first, then Snake Charmer kind of smelled like the cake was burning...

I know this is not helpful at all, since it's also a limited scent, but to my nose Anaconda was almost a clone of Trick or Treat.

If anyone happens to be looking for a similar GC scent to Dr. John Seward, try Blood Countess. On me, they were almost identical, except that Blood Countess contains fruit notes and Dr. Seward doesn't. However, Seward has a very sweet character starting out, so it's similar effect. The other difference is that, on me, Seward was much headier. Blood Countess is a bit more delicate -- but it can be slathered! :P

is there anything out there similar to Freak Show? this is my favorite BPAL scent i've found, both in terms of scent and staying power. my bottle is still fairly full but i'd love to find other scents in that realm.

Freak Show was very similar to Carnal on me; the fig is strong in both.

And whoever was asking about a GC equivalent of Punkie Night: Jack is the closest thing I've found. It doesn't quite have the apple orchard tang, but the peach is nice and sweet and is a good substitute.

So I have fallen in love with Zarita the Doll Girl :P . Thankfully, it's Carnavale Diablique, therefore I can still order it. But, what should I try when it's gone? Life just wouldn't be as nice smelling without her.

Does anyone know of a GC scent that is similar to Crow Moon? I like it - it's soft and watery but has some presence. :P I know I'll be sad when it's all gone.

Mama Ji stands squarely between Arabian Nights and Gypsy Queen, imho. On my skin, AN is a bit sharper and GQ is a bit more floral. Mama Ji is equally exquisite as these rarer oils and far more available. :P

so I think I found a good dupe for Anaconda.

I used a 5/8 dram vial and mixed together~ 1.5-6 ml Snake Oil, ~ 0.1 or 0.2 ml Sugar Skull, 3 drops Sugar Cookie.

It smells fantastic. I just hope that I can recreate it using larger amounts!

Mama Ji stands squarely between Arabian Nights and Gypsy Queen, imho. On my skin, AN is a bit sharper and GQ is a bit more floral. Mama Ji is equally exquisite as these rarer oils and far more available. :P

That is a really good call! And it's funny, Arabian Nights didn't work very well on me, but Mama Ji is lovely, my favorite of the three. I do like Gypsy Queen, but not so much that I wasn't willing to let someone have half of my bottle, knowing I'd never use all of it. Wonder what this says about me? I'm middle-of-the-road? :D Or at the very least, it says I am a floral kinda girl (although I have known that for a long time).

so I think I found a good dupe for Anaconda.

I used a 5/8 dram vial and mixed together~ 1.5-6 ml Snake Oil, ~ 0.1 or 0.2 ml Sugar Skull, 3 drops Sugar Cookie.

It smells fantastic. I just hope that I can recreate it using larger amounts!

which version of sugar skull? 2004, 2005, 2006?

your version sounds fantabulous and so

right on!! i must try it when i get home...nummy :P

you know, I had to go check my backup bottle box because I really couldn't remember which one was out :P I should have known because it had no date and a paper label.

anyway... it's the 2005 sugar skull and 2005 sugar cookie.

it's so good! I'd love hear what others think and if it's even close.