Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Since my theory is that the CTIII's are GC imps in disguise, I'm hoping someone will know. So in the off chance you've smelled it, please help. :P

Chaos Theory scents aren't available as imps, the imp to which you are referring is most likely a decant. The Chaos Theory scents are hand blended by Beth and then randomly assigned numbers when labeled, so even Beth doesn't know which one is which. Check in reviews to see if anyone has reviewed that particular scent, then you can estimate what notes might be in it and go from there. (Just don't PM the reviewers as panhandling isn't cool.) :D

Andrabell is right - Beth says she doesn't keep notes regarding formulas, etc. when she makes them, either, so they are truly unique and cannot be duplicated. You may end up finding a GC blend that resembles a Chaos Theory blend, but as received from the lab in their 5 ml bottles, they are in no way rebottled GC scents.

Since my theory is that the CTIII's are GC imps in disguise, I'm hoping someone will know. So in the off chance you've smelled it, please help. :P

I'll do one better: I have personally witnessed Beth making Chaos Theory scents. Each bottle is created individually from single notes.

They are absolutely not disguised GC scents.

I am loving Gennivre and I am going to very sad when the Carnaval set ends. Can anyone tell me a GC scent that is similar?

I'm looking for a Gennivre similarity too. Strangely, The Unicorn smelt kind of similar to Gennivre on me, as in it had the same "vibe" and feeling about it, but it's nowhere near as complex and meaningful as Gennivre on me. Suggestions?

That Japanese Salon scent with the sugarcane and honey sounds a lot like Gennivre without the mint...I'm really looking forward to it, as Gennivre was perfect on me after the Death Mint of Evil faded away. Maybe you could layer that with a touch of a minty or tea scent?

I am loving Gennivre and I am going to very sad when the Carnaval set ends. Can anyone tell me a GC scent that is similar?

I'm looking for a Gennivre similarity too. Strangely, The Unicorn smelt kind of similar to Gennivre on me, as in it had the same "vibe" and feeling about it, but it's nowhere near as complex and meaningful as Gennivre on me. Suggestions?

That Japanese Salon scent with the sugarcane and honey sounds a lot like Gennivre without the mint...I'm really looking forward to it, as Gennivre was perfect on me after the Death Mint of Evil faded away. Maybe you could layer that with a touch of a minty or tea scent?

Oooh, I missed that one somehow. I will try to track down an imp of it. Thanks so much for the suggestion!!

This may make me sound like a complete froot loop, but here goes... I think that Black Phoenix, after the almond note fades out, smells like a darker, sexy Et Lux Fuit. Which is my favorite ever. So now I can make a smooth transition from cheery day (ELF) to sexy evening (BP).

Is there anything like Punkie Night in the general catalog? I am obsessed with it, much to my surprise! ETA: Can anyone tell me if Coral Snake is anything like Punkie Night? Thanks!

Edited by cordia

I already said it in my review, but...

Chintamani-Dhupa smells like a spicier, exotic version of Carceri D'Invenzione, IMO. I love them both!! :P

edited for spelling : )

Edited by Forspecial Plate

I love love love Vasakasajja. I'm not sure what parts I love though as I have never bought a blend with tonka, skin musk, orchid, or champaca in it before. :P

So can anyone suggest similar scents so I can try some things that are close, but a bit different?

Edited by Nidaba

I love love love Vasakasajja. I'm not sure what parts I love though as I have never bought a blend with tonka, skin musk, orchid, or champaca in it before. :D

So can anyone suggest similar scents so I can try some things that are close, but a bit different?

Shadow Witch Orchid is similar to Vasakasajja when wet, but the tropical-ness dries down to a more typical, slightly dusty floral. It's a very pretty orchid scent.

Also, I just discovered that Black Forest smells almost identical to Wolf Moon '07, but is slightly less... well, blue in feeling. While I prefer Wolf Moon slightly, Black Forest seems to have more lasting power. :P

anyone know any GC scents similar to Annabel Lee and Pink Phoenix? Those two will both haunt my dreams when my bottles run out...:P

Can anyone recommend something from the GC catalog that is closely similar to Chrysanthemum Moon? I just love it, and my bottle is getting low.... :D

Since no one answered this and I was just thinking about this....Mama-ji smells like a milder version of Mum Moon and without the horrid cat pee note I get with the latter.

I'd also like to second someone else's mention that Vixen is a lot like Mme Moriarty. I tested Vixen and had to keep double checking the imp. :P

Although it's not GC, I thought that Faiza dead-on had that ginger note that Mum Moon had.

Is Eat Me really similar to Beaver Moon?

My thoughts:

I think they are totally different. BM is completely cheesecake, while Eat Me is really buttery and foodier in a candy kind of way, not a cheesecake way.

I agree, nothing alike.

Is there anything like Punkie Night in the general catalog? I am obsessed with it, much to my surprise! ETA: Can anyone tell me if Coral Snake is anything like Punkie Night? Thanks!

Answering my own question, just in case:

Having just done a very light test swipe of Coral Snake, I will say that it strongly resembles Punkie Night to me, particularly wet. The spices add enough of a difference that it is still unique and lovely, but they share a similar tone, I suppose.

is there anything out there similar to Freak Show? this is my favorite BPAL scent i've found, both in terms of scent and staying power. my bottle is still fairly full but i'd love to find other scents in that realm.

51 smells very similar to Hungry Ghost Moon. The only difference is that the citrus is made more green by honeydew, instead of a bright champagne-yellow that the white grapefruit created.

Somewhere, someone was comparing Monster Bait: Closet with Bordello, and I've got to second that--I wore Bordello a few days ago and all day long I kept thinking "Mmm, Closet...oh, wait--Bordello!". It's like Closet with plums poured on top.

Has anyone found a GC scent similar to Svadhinopatika? I have two bottles of the stuff, but just want to find other variations on it. On me, for the record, it's mainly light but heady honey and champaca flower.

I'm finding Poison Apple is a good substitute for Punkie Night and I'm sure if it's layered with Jack it would really be :P

I've not done a side by side testing, since I'm not all that interested in a PERFECT match, but the apples and spice are quite good and I don't have to worry about running through my punkie night stash so quickly.

Mr. Nancy smells exactly like Sugar Cookie 05 once the lime fades......

On me, Mr. Nancy is Sugar Skull '04 plus lime. The drydown is spicier than SS, but it's close enough that IMO people who like Sugar Skull and want a replacement/something similar should try a decant of Mr. Nancy to see if it suits.

ETA - and this has been mentioned in other threads, but Cloister Graveyard in the Snow is similar to Ice Queen (except for two things: 1) Ice Queen made me queasy and Cloister Graveyard does not, and 2) I seem to remember Ice Queen involving pine, though my memory may be faulty. Otherwise, I think they smell fairly similar.).

Edited by Electra