Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Is Eat Me really similar to Beaver Moon?

My thoughts:

I think they are totally different. BM is completely cheesecake, while Eat Me is really buttery and foodier in a candy kind of way, not a cheesecake way.

I think there's a big similarity in the final dry down stages between Monsterbait: Underpants and Hymn to Proserpine. That final, sweet sandalwood-y (to my nose, anyway) drydown is veryvery similar. Glad me and my nose aren't insane for making that comparison, and that others have smelled it, too!

Can't comment as to Lyonnesse, except that an imp of it IS on its way to me........ :P

I searched briefly and didn't find it, has anyone found something similar to Storeyville? I just spent a ridiculous amount on an imp (considering the vast quantities of perfume I already have!), and I'd love to find something similar that's not quite so hard to get.

I searched briefly and didn't find it, has anyone found something similar to Storeyville? I just spent a ridiculous amount on an imp (considering the vast quantities of perfume I already have!), and I'd love to find something similar that's not quite so hard to get.

:P Hey there seadragon! Happy New Year!

On me, Storyville and Devil's Night have something in common, sugary musk notes, it seems. Smut also reminds me a wee bit of Storyville, although not as much as DN. Storyville seems to have some vanilla that those other two are lacking - if you end up giving them a try and don't feel it at first, maybe try layering with one of your favorite vanilla blends?

Good luck - I love Storyville and although I don't hoard it so much that I never wear it, every time I put it on I'm reminded that there's a very small, finite amount of it in that bottle... and that's it. *sigh*

Any recommendations for scents similar to 1) Sol Invictus and 2) All Saint's?

Liber Resh Vel Helios: Ra reacts almost exactly the same way Sol Invictus does on me. Right to the horrible scent they have on me wet that turns slightly incensey and then finally turns into this incredibly long-lasting calm citrus-y scent. Ra takes longer to get past the incensey stage on me than SI and the citrus isn't quite as heavenly as SI, but on me at least they're versions of each other, heh. (I'm very, very glad about this as I absolutely love Sol Invictus. :P )

what about purple phoenix?

i find it such a deep purple scent and it smells wonderful with so much depth. i think i'm going to go mad when i finish using mine and cant find another bottle. so any equivlents out there?

I found that Horreur Sympathique is very similar to Purple Phoenix but you aren't going to get the wonderful Myrrh/resin/woody/violet depth in HS that you get in PP. HS is purple, but lighter and not as moody. Perhaps layering it with something else can add the extra depth missing to make it a true PP equivalent.

Recommendations for something similar to Geek? Oh how I love it so....

Two Monsters is a pretty good ringer for Geek. It's a little softer but very similar.

Doc Constantine has a wonderful amber - smoke thing going on. It's not exactly like Geek but it's in a similar scent family.

:D Hey there seadragon! Happy New Year!

On me, Storyville and Devil's Night have something in common, sugary musk notes, it seems. Smut also reminds me a wee bit of Storyville, although not as much as DN. Storyville seems to have some vanilla that those other two are lacking - if you end up giving them a try and don't feel it at first, maybe try layering with one of your favorite vanilla blends?

Good luck - I love Storyville and although I don't hoard it so much that I never wear it, every time I put it on I'm reminded that there's a very small, finite amount of it in that bottle... and that's it. *sigh*

Hey! :D

Sadly Devil's Night went all smokey bonfire on me from the bottle I got, although the imp I got from Brumbjorn was really nice (unfortunately I passed it on to someone else because I had a whole bottle on the way! :P ). I did notice the similarity to Smut, but Smut borders on being too cloying sometimes.

Has anyone else noticed a similarity between La Fee Verte and Oblivion? LFV made me feel a little nauseous so I haven't worn it other than the first time, but other than that I thought the scents were somewhat similar.

Aged Sin is very similar to Schwarzer Mond. It's the patchouli-amber combination...once the patch in Sin ages a bit, it strengthens and starts to resemble Schwarzer Mond :P

I am loving Gennivre and I am going to very sad when the Carnaval set ends. Can anyone tell me a GC scent that is similar?

Oddly enough, Queen Gertrude smelled almost exactly like Gennivre on me. Yeah, I don't get it either. But it is something to check out!

Recommendations for something similar to Geek? Oh how I love it so....

Two Monsters is a pretty good ringer for Geek. It's a little softer but very similar.

I will happily second that one. Geek is my husband's signature scent, and when he runs out of his current five bottles ( :P ), he has Two Monsters lined up as the replacement. It's not exactly the same scent, but it has the same feel.

I just got the chance to try Haloa (wonderful evil swapper, giving me sniffies to get attached to!), and especially in the wet stages it's very similar to Hymn to Proserpine on me. HtP doesn't have that wonderful buttery shortbread note that comes out in the later states of Haloa, but if that warm deep fruit is what you like most about Haloa, Hymn to Proserpine is probably right up your alley :-)

Is there anything in the GC (or just *anything* I can get hold of at the moment) that smells like Quincy Morris? My boyfriend finally got round to testing my unloved imp the other day, and it smells OH SO good on him! I think it's the pear that I like so much, but none of the other pear blends I can find seem to have the same sort of masculine vibe. Any suggestions?

Is there anything in the GC (or just *anything* I can get hold of at the moment) that smells like Quincy Morris? My boyfriend finally got round to testing my unloved imp the other day, and it smells OH SO good on him! I think it's the pear that I like so much, but none of the other pear blends I can find seem to have the same sort of masculine vibe. Any suggestions?

I don't know if I can help you with the pear note but my boyfriend smells divine in Quincy Morris and a couple of other blends, although not the same at first, end up smelling very similar to the drydown of Q M. The first is Dee, it seems to have that same soft leather note that is so unlike the harsher leather blends like De Sade. The second is Death on a Pale Horse and I have no idea why because it doesn't seem to share any notes with Q M. It does have a masculine sweetness to it that I might be associating with the pear in Q M but it definitely does not have the leather.

Has anyone else noticed that Cloister in the Graveyard Snow smells almost exactly like The Darkling Thrush? I love DK, so its good to know there's a GC backup when my ten bottles are gone! :P But again, there's that curious thing about scent similarities when neither seems to share the same notes.

The first is Dee, it seems to have that same soft leather note that is so unlike the harsher leather blends like De Sade. The second is Death on a Pale Horse and I have no idea why because it doesn't seem to share any notes with Q M. It does have a masculine sweetness to it that I might be associating with the pear in Q M but it definitely does not have the leather.

Hmm... that might be worth checking out, because 'masculine sweetness' is definitely what smells best on him - his other favourites are Aureus and Xiuhtecuhtli :P

Any recommendations for scents similar to 1) Sol Invictus and 2) All Saint's?

Liber Resh Vel Helios: Ra reacts almost exactly the same way Sol Invictus does on me. Right to the horrible scent they have on me wet that turns slightly incensey and then finally turns into this incredibly long-lasting calm citrus-y scent. Ra takes longer to get past the incensey stage on me than SI and the citrus isn't quite as heavenly as SI, but on me at least they're versions of each other, heh. (I'm very, very glad about this as I absolutely love Sol Invictus. :P )

After rekindling my relationship with Ra, I agree with the statement - I usually wear Sol Invictus in the locket, and Ra is very close after several hours, although I would agree that SI is richer (I do not get much incense out of SI, though, and thank goodness for that.)

Endymion is a soft and dreamy pear blend, that seems to be meant to be sort of masculine. It's really soft and light, though, and rather gender-neutral in my opinion. Still, you might want to try it because of the pear.

I am loving Gennivre and I am going to very sad when the Carnaval set ends. Can anyone tell me a GC scent that is similar?

I'm looking for a Gennivre similarity too. Strangely, The Unicorn smelt kind of similar to Gennivre on me, as in it had the same "vibe" and feeling about it, but it's nowhere near as complex and meaningful as Gennivre on me. Suggestions?

This is going to be another impossible request but I have to try:

If anyone out there has smelled/sniffed CTIII: DCCCXXXVII (837) please let me know what GC it smells like.

I acquired a frimp from a friend who cannot remember from whom she received it.

I love it. I cannot find more of it. I want need more of it. I am sad.

Since my theory is that the CTIII's are GC imps in disguise, I'm hoping someone will know. So in the off chance you've smelled it, please help. :P