Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

The only negative experience I have had, in my 2+ years of BPAL wearing and collecting: At some point in my newbie-ness I swapped for a bottle of Maiden. I'm convinced that the long-forgotten person I got it from didn't store it properly. It was lovely and I wore it often, but eventually it was if the scent had faded. It wasn't "off" or rancid or different from Maiden, it just was very, very light. I ended up putting it in my oil burner because it just didn't seem strong enough on my skin anymore!

If you're interested in the effects of aging on BPAL, I know there's a topic covering it somewhere in BPAL chatter... I'll try to find it and post a link when I have a minute.

Thanks for responding, your answer’s really helpful! I keep reading up on stockpiling, etc., and I do want to pick up a few more bottles of my favorite scents, and though I’ve never had a fragrance or essential oil go bad, I was concerned about what would happen if I didn’t use these within their given time frame.

I actually tracked down the aging thread today, but thanks again for being so helpful! :P

I know that my sniffer is a bit off but to me Schwarzer Mond smells very similar to Scherezade........

Am I nuts?

Edited by 1demondog

Carfax Abbey really reminds me of Death Cap, especially in the later drydown. Did anyone else get this?

I tried going through most of the threads but just in case I missed it, anyone have a similar scent to Monsterbait: Underpants. I've got a couple imps but I can never afford a full bottle. Any help would be great.

I've heard that Lyonesse is close. Which is why I'm coveting Lyonesse at the moment. :P

I tried going through most of the threads but just in case I missed it, anyone have a similar scent to Monsterbait: Underpants. I've got a couple imps but I can never afford a full bottle. Any help would be great.

I've heard that Lyonesse is close. Which is why I'm coveting Lyonesse at the moment. :P

I had not thought about comparing the two - I would say that Underpants is thicker and more syrupy to me, whereas Lyonesse is lighter, a little more perfumy than foody in nature. But Lyonesse is absolutely gorgeous regardless of whether you like or dislike Underpants! I think everyone should try it, and vanilla fans will especially love it.

I wore The Snow Maiden all day today at work and I've come to realize that it's very close to...get ready... Snow Angel!

At least it is on me... :P

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum and semi-new to BPAL. I've tried 2 oils so far and have a bunch more heading toward me in the mail.

I love Gennivre wet on my skin. Does anyone have any recommendations as to an oil that would approximate that smell? On me it's all bright mint, muted by what smells like the tea and honey. I like the drydown, but I really really prefer it wet.

Any help is super appreciated! :P

If I'm reading this right, you like the minty part of the oil with the other hints? I'm not sure of anything like that exactly, which could be because Gennivre is still on my 'want to sniff' list and hasn't yet made it to my home. :P But with that said ... minty scents that come to mind ...

Ultraviolet is a bright mint, with a hint of florals.

Tarot: The Star is something that I get a clean mint with citrus and coconut creaminess in.

Undertow is a minty-aquatic, a bit darker than the others. (Juniper.)

Envy is a herbal-citrus-mint for me.

Juke Joint is a mint julep on me -- sugar and mint and a hint of alcohol.

My guess is that the closest to something that would be mint and tea and honey would be The Star, because of the sweetness of the coconut and citrus. Good luck and I hope that these help you. :D

To me, Ultraviolet is all eucalyptus and just a little mint. Undertow is minty and a little salty, too.

You should give the Yule blend Snow-Flakes a try. Most reviewers have agreed it's a light, sweet mint. I love it.

You could also try wearing Gennivre in a scent locket- a scent locked will usually retain the "wet" scent of the oil...

I need some help. I need someone to compare for me Talvikuu and Nocnitsa. Descriptions suggest that these two might be similar, except that Nocnitsa has this note of "upturned earth". Any ideas?

I already have Talvikuu and love it. Now I'm thinking about getting a bottle of Nocnitsa, and am not sure whether I'll like it..

I need some help. I need someone to compare for me Talvikuu and Nocnitsa. Descriptions suggest that these two might be similar, except that Nocnitsa has this note of "upturned earth". Any ideas?

I already have Talvikuu and love it. Now I'm thinking about getting a bottle of Nocnitsa, and am not sure whether I'll like it..

To me Talvikuu and Nocnitsa are nothing alike except that both may have some sort of evergreen mixed in.

Nocnitsa doesn't have a snow note. The scent feels rather darkish brown, with sprinkles of dark green and a bit of red maybe. It's earthy and warm with a tinge of something fruity in the background, not cold and crisp like Talvikuu.

I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for (I haven't smelled Gennivre) but Lick It Again is incredibly pepperminty and live until February. :P

cordia - at first I didn't think they were similar at all. but sniffing them in the bottlles there are definite similarities, but they remain distinct and are not scent twins in the least. they are most similar when first applied and get more and more different as they dry down. after they've been on a while they really don't smell anything alike.

treat 1 is sweeter and more candy-like. it also smells like there could be white musk in the background, while Fruit Moon is all fruit, tropical fruit. it doesn't have that extreme sweetness that treat 1 has and just feels deeper.

what about purple phoenix?

i find it such a deep purple scent and it smells wonderful with so much depth. i think i'm going to go mad when i finish using mine and cant find another bottle. so any equivlents out there?

I know that my sniffer is a bit off but to me Schwarzer Mond smells very similar to Scherezade........

Am I nuts?

They're close, but I find Sin to be closer. They're definitely the same family, though.

Black Rose is very much like The Peacock Queen. Both share that same velvety rich red-rose aura.

Agreed - I feel like Peacock Queen is cleaner and Black Rose is dirtier and a little more...occult-smelling? but I love them both.

Has anyone mentioned Dragon Moon and Neo-Tokyo? I like DM slightly better, but they're close.

Also: The Castle seems a lot like Wolf's Heart and Fenris Wolf to me - I know it's not as "dirty" smelling, but it's just as dry and red.

Edited by LadyMedb

I had not thought about comparing the two - I would say that Underpants is thicker and more syrupy to me, whereas Lyonesse is lighter, a little more perfumy than foody in nature. But Lyonesse is absolutely gorgeous regardless of whether you like or dislike Underpants! I think everyone should try it, and vanilla fans will especially love it.

Oh, and another one for Underpants fans. This may sound odd, but Hymn to Proserpine. It has a very similar sandalwood. I thought I was on crack for thinking they were similar, but there are 3 or 4 other reviews saying the same thing.

Reading the descriptions and reviews, these two seemed very similar, but I only want to buy one! (of course, I could be completely wrong on the similarity factor)

How are they different? Is Holiday Moon more "green" and Empyreal Mist softer, somehow?

Well, Holiday Moon is a discontinued LE- but you might be able to find a bottle on the forum (maybe not, since it was discontinued a year ago).

They're very different. Holiday moon is a fresh lemon and with a green, slightly woody note to it and Empy. Mist is an airy, fresh blend with a touch of aquatic (it's very evocative of it's name).

They're both lovely, just different. Empy. Mist is a GC scent, so you can order it from the lab.

Oh, and I saw that you joined yesterday- welcome to the forum! :P

Oh, and another one for Underpants fans. This may sound odd, but Hymn to Proserpine. It has a very similar sandalwood. I thought I was on crack for thinking they were similar, but there are 3 or 4 other reviews saying the same thing.

I was just thinking this today! It's almost like a cross between Lurid and Underpants, to my nose.