Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Et Lux Fuit is like a less spicy version of The Lion- at the beginning, it is almost exactly like it, to my nose! The Lion has more staying power, and ELF ends up a soft, dreamy scent, but it's a close one. (This may've been mentioned already- if so, I am sorry!)

Et Lux Fuit and The Lion are quite similar - and I would add, Et Lux Fuit and Brisingamen. It's the amber, I'm sure.

I just got my order of Kindly Moon and, to me, it's not identical to but in the same family as Pele. KM is like a more aquatic, less sweet version of Pele, but it's the same kind of damp white floral.

Not sure if this has been spotted, but Himerus and Khajurahao are very similar on me (almost annoyingly so, as I have two bottles of the LE :P) but Himerus is slightly sweeter with maybe a touch of fruit. They both dry down to that smoky, woody skin scent. Yum!

FWIW:

I put this in my review as well, but for anyone who missed out on F5 or want more, it smelled *exactly* like when I mix Absinthe and Embalming Fluid.

I'm pleased because I can emulate F5 when I'm out!

On my skin, Fae smells like a lighter version of Hungry Ghost Moon. Which is awesome, because HGM is one of my top ten. :P

Hunter Moon = Bewitched...HM is a little more complex and a little less "fruity", but Bewitched is pretty similar to me.

And as so someone else mentioned...Hexannacht = Samhain 04....Yeah I know it's not a GC...but I can't find something even vaugly familiar to either of them in the GC. The Samhain is a little sweeter (the apple cider I belive)...while the Hex is more smoky and a little less sweet (there is something in the Hex that give it an apple type scent to my nose).

I think Hungry Ghost Moon is a dead ringer for A Demon in my View: Spirits of the Dead, but with far more throw.

Wow - I don't think they could be more different. On me, Spirits of the Dead was like a hot toddy - lemon and sugar, and with the sweet, delicate linden on the dry-down. Hungry Ghost Moon was nothing but a musky green fog.

Weird. To me Hungry Ghost Moon is most similar to Sudha Segara on my skin. Spirits of the Dead has this linen note that makes it way more crisp than the other two. Ah, skin chemistry!

for me i can make a relatively close underpants by

layering EBM over al-azif...i tried it today and while not identical,

it is pretty darned close :P

On "my" skin The Phantom Calliope smells just like Shub did. How can this be when there is no Ginger in "The Phantom" ... ???? Weird!

Red Lantern smells just like Elegba.

Pumpkin Queen is very similar to Jack

As I happily sniff myself into a coma with my Order of the Dragon scents, I have noticed that GC Wolf's Heart is a close cousin of The Castle. They both have the dragon's blood with dusty spice thing going on.

To ME, keeping in mind I've had other people say 'no way!'

Brides of Dracula: Nosferatu

Candy Butcher: Hellcat or Cockaigne if you prefer less chocolate, Bliss or Centzon Totochtin if more

Pumpkin patch 3: Jack but Jack is sweeter and creamier

But I hear my skin chemistry is wacky

How similar is Sol Invictus to Et Lux Fuit? They sound close, and I definitely love Et Lux Fuit. I'm leaning towards getting a bottle of SI but I'd appreciate some comments.

Thanks!

I can't seem to find a thread that compares currently available LE blends to ones that aren't available anymore, so moderators, please feel free to move this as needed!

If you liked Annabel Lee..... try Darkling Thrush.

On "my" skin The Phantom Calliope smells just like Shub did. How can this be when there is no Ginger in "The Phantom" ... ???? Weird!

Beth doesn't necessarily list every single note that goes into each BPAL blend... so there could be ginger or something reminiscent of ginger in The Phantom Calliope. And many notes listed things Beth includes in a description in order to describe what the perfume smells like, not what its actual components are. Civet and all of the musks are examples of that. None of them are authentic civet or musk, which come from animals, they're bouquets that have been created from plant components.

Just makes it all more mysterious and stuff :P

Can anyone recommend something from the GC catalog that is closely similar to Chrysanthemum Moon? I just love it, and my bottle is getting low.... :P

I know it's an LE-LE comparison, but Mi-Go Brain Canister lovers should definitely check out Xanthe, The Weeping Clown. They go very similar on my skin. :P

Has anyone found which oils or oil layerings best mimic All Souls and Midnight on the Midway?

Has anyone found which oils or oil layerings best mimic All Souls and Midnight on the Midway?

You know, in this case I'd just order an extra bottle of each from the lab while they are still available - I know we all have to balance out the amount of oils we hoard with the length of time we have before they might turn and not smell good, but IMO incensey scents age very nicely. Also, I have quite a few bottles (from many different scent families) from the period around Yule 2004 which all are still quite wearable, having been stored in a dark dresser drawer in my home where they're never subject to temperature extremes.

If they're your absolute favorites and you're slathering them like crazy... order more than one "back up" bottle ;-)

You know, in this case I'd just order an extra bottle of each from the lab while they are still available - I know we all have to balance out the amount of oils we hoard with the length of time we have before they might turn and not smell good, but IMO incensey scents age very nicely. Also, I have quite a few bottles (from many different scent families) from the period around Yule 2004 which all are still quite wearable, having been stored in a dark dresser drawer in my home where they're never subject to temperature extremes.

If they're your absolute favorites and you're slathering them like crazy... order more than one "back up" bottle ;-)

Oh I plan to, as soon as I have extra money.

Speaking of turning, have any of your scents done so?

Speaking of turning, have any of your scents done so?

The only negative experience I have had, in my 2+ years of BPAL wearing and collecting: At some point in my newbie-ness I swapped for a bottle of Maiden. I'm convinced that the long-forgotten person I got it from didn't store it properly. It was lovely and I wore it often, but eventually it was if the scent had faded. It wasn't "off" or rancid or different from Maiden, it just was very, very light. I ended up putting it in my oil burner because it just didn't seem strong enough on my skin anymore!

If you're interested in the effects of aging on BPAL, I know there's a topic covering it somewhere in BPAL chatter... I'll try to find it and post a link when I have a minute.