Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I have tried TONS of BPAL, and due to allergy issues, the only one I have ended up really being able to wear is Samhain. Can anyone give suggestions for other (preferably general catologue) scents that are similar?

Mouse's Long & Sad Tale smells like a lighter and more powdery version of Monster Bait: Underpants on me. But they still have a striking similarity, especially for the first few minutes that they're on my skin.

Two, Five and Seven is very similar to the rose of Rose Red, but 2, 5 & 7 is a little lighter and is missing the green note that Rose Red has.

I don't think anyone has asked this, I scanned the previous posts and didn't see any mention of it.

I've completely fallen in love with Usher. . Does anyone know of a scent similar?

I don't know enough of the notes to identify exactly what it smells like on me other than there is no manderin that I can detect and a lot of what I take to be minty musk.

I don't think anyone has asked this, I scanned the previous posts and didn't see any mention of it.

I've completely fallen in love with Usher. . Does anyone know of a scent similar?

I don't know enough of the notes to identify exactly what it smells like on me other than there is no manderin that I can detect and a lot of what I take to be minty musk.

Some people likened it to Dorian, but I didn't really get that so much, personally. I don't think there's anything really comparable to Usher in the general catalog, but you might try layering Utrennyaya or another light mint scent with Dorian, Embalming Fluid, or another light citrus-tea type blend.

On me:

Black Rose is very much like The Peacock Queen. Both share that same velvety rich red-rose aura.

Nuit + Le Serpent Qui Danse = an approximation of Bearded Lady.

I recently acquired a bottle of Hellion and have fallen in love with it. Is there anything in the GC that resembles it at all? Or anything that's similiar but a little more musky and a little less fruity?

I recently acquired a bottle of Hellion and have fallen in love with it. Is there anything in the GC that resembles it at all? Or anything that's similiar but a little more musky and a little less fruity?

Malkuth & Chokmah have some similarities, I think. Neither is dead on, but they both have incensey-fruity qualities to them, and they're both quite pretty.

Some people though Khajaruho was similar, but that was LE too.

Try Ode on Melancholy -- it's somewhat similar.

Oooo, thanks, parrot_suspect! I was just going to say that I haven´t found anything like Usher in the GC, but then again I´m not quite sure what to look for. No notes stand out for me either :P I do get a similar feel from Dorian, though. I think it´s the slightly masculine fougere thing...

I've not tried Hellion, but in reviews of Nahemoth, a few folks have compared the two. Actually a few people have compared Nahemoth to a Snake Charmer/Hellion combo. I'm all over the Snake Charmer likeness, which I totally get. Nahemoth is beautiful and might be worth a try.

Scanned through this entire thread and see that no one has mentioned that

Blood Moon = Tezcatlipoca.

Not wet, when the Tezcat is all chocolate, but once they are dry, they are so close!

The Blood Moon is a bit spicier and sharper while Tezcat is a bit richer, but otherwise, yum.

Now, I will be exploring some of the blends recommended as subs for Devil's Night...

Has anyone run into a GC that's similar to Doc Buzzard? I don't normally go for the woodsy scents so my knowledge is limited, and since there aren't any notes listed, I can't even semi-cheat. :P

this is old, but.... i want to say off the top of my head, mixing hamadryad with something a little lemony/herbal (polyhymnia? namaste?) may work - at least that's how it smells on me!

It's so interesting reading the replies on this thread, because with a lot of them I find myself thinking "What? Those don't smell at all alike!"... but obviously on other people's skin, they do. Skin chemistry is so variable...

I think I mentioned before that I find Desire to be somewhat reminiscent of both Gypsy Queen and the Masque, but now I've found another with a similar feeling: Magdalene. It has much the same floral-with-an-earthy-incensey-base kind of feel, and a really beautiful drydown.

I would love it if there was GC equivalent to my all-time favourite LE, Red Phoenix, but I doubt there is. The closest I've found yet is Frumious Bandersnatch, and it's not that close -- RP is a lot muskier and more incensey. Maybe I need to try layering the Bandersnatch with something like Fenris Wolf...

In the meantime, I think I'm just going to hope that this year's BPALiversary includes a Four Years - Four Birdies set, with RP making a comeback. I swear I'll buy at least three bottles this time.

*sigh* I can dream...

Tezcatlipoca and Blood Moon are almost identical on me, but only after the Tezcat dries down.

Similarly, i found the middle bit of Eclipse to be very simlar to Blood Moon on me. The beginning and end of eclipse was all almond/cherry/vanilla, but the middle few hours were that lovely dry spiciness i love so much in Blood Moon.

Edited by jewelbug

For some odd reason, Omen and Fortunato smell very alike on my husband. I can tell them apart, but sometimes it takes two whiffs to do so.

Obatala is a lot like Milk Moon. Not exactly the same, but contains one of the particular notes in Milk Moon.

Ravenous is just like Hunger without the civety lash. It is what I wanted Hunger to be...just like I ordered a customized version of Hunger.

It's so interesting reading the replies on this thread, because with a lot of them I find myself thinking "What? Those don't smell at all alike!"... but obviously on other people's skin, they do. Skin chemistry is so variable...

It's not just skin chemistry. I have a tendency to recommend scents that are in the same "mood" as other scents, thinking that they smell alike, when in reality there are some differences.

I would love it if there was GC equivalent to my all-time favourite LE, Red Phoenix, but I doubt there is. The closest I've found yet is Frumious Bandersnatch, and it's not that close -- RP is a lot muskier and more incensey. Maybe I need to try layering the Bandersnatch with something like Fenris Wolf...

In the meantime, I think I'm just going to hope that this year's BPALiversary includes a Four Years - Four Birdies set, with RP making a comeback. I swear I'll buy at least three bottles this time.

*sigh* I can dream...

Red Phoenix smelled very similar to Blood Moon to me. When thinking of non-LEs though, my mind is sort of drawing a blank. We need a spicier Scherezade with cinnamon, perhaps.

-doreen

This is a slightly different question (but this is the best place I could think of to stick it).

Both a friend and I have bottle of Chaos Theory III with "cinnamon" notes. While we both realize that in the description Beth said there'd be no cinnamon, we can't figure out what else it could possibly be.

Any thoughts are welcome.

eta: Now I'm extra curious, as about 15 minutes after putting some on today I broke out in a bright red rash everywhere the oil touched my skin, and it lasted for about four or so hours. I've tried one or two other things with cinnamon and a couple with cassia, and never had that reaction to them.

Edited by crazyredhead17

I discovered last night: Herr Drosselmeyer = The Black Tower. I wasn't too happy about that. Monsterbait Underbed = a fancier version of Gluttony with cassia.

I wonder if there's cassia in the blend - I don't think that it technically is considered to be the same plant/species, etc. as cinnamon(?) Cardamom also smells similar to cinnamon in some blends to me.

Sorry that you had a reaction though! I have had reactions to a blend that I have worn safely before, so it's not totally uncommon. Some things to try - make sure not to apply after a shower or bath; apply unscented lotion as a barrier between your skin and your BPAL; don't apply when you're feeling warm, overheated, or have been especially active; and/or try making a diluted blend with a bit of carrier oil in a separate bottle and see if that prevents a reaction.

i do believe it may be cassia... i have a bottle of CTIII that has a cinnamon

note ... thankfully it does not bother my skin whatsoever :P