Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Any suggestions for a GC equivalent for Spirits of the Dead? Best. Smell. Ever, and at the rate I'm going through it, number one with a bullet for first 5 mL emptied :P I have The Unicorn on order for the linden, any other suggestions? Green tea thoughts other than Embalming Fluid and Shanghai, both of which my skin devours in minutes? Thanks!

A couple of people a few pages back asked if there was a GC equivalent to Chiroptera, and I'm interested as well. Chiroptera is one of my very favorites; I have a partial bottle, and I want to get my hands on more, but I know that it won't necessarily be easy -- or cheap. :D

Silly me; it shouldn't have surprised me whatsoever that I'd fall head over heels for a bat-themed floral blend... :P

Any suggestions for a GC equivalent for Spirits of the Dead? Best. Smell. Ever, and at the rate I'm going through it, number one with a bullet for first 5 mL emptied :P I have The Unicorn on order for the linden, any other suggestions? Green tea thoughts other than Embalming Fluid and Shanghai, both of which my skin devours in minutes? Thanks!

I thougt Severin was very like it, actually (aside from the leather finish).

Baobhan Sith is a wonderful new green tea and may replace my Kumiho when it is gone. Check out Sudha - it reminds me a little of tea also. I have ordered but not yet tried the Salon "Satan" but have high hopes for it.

Good Luck - Spirits is one of my all time faves, too.

It's not GC, but I thought Holiday Moon was similar on me to Spirits of the Dead. Shanghai might be the next closest, but like you, my skin eats Shanghai really quick.

Help.

I got an imp of Mi-Go and ADORE it. What smells similar to this in the GC? I'm worried I'm going to run out of my imp and be left without something I've fallen in love with!

Jester is pretty fruity though you might need to add something with tropical notes to make it a closer match to Mi-Go. (I'm drawing a blank right now...)

I just tried Bordello for the first time and I am in swoony love because it is JUST LIKE the dry stage of my beloved Monster Bait: Closet! The sweet boozy berries! That lovely throw! Yesssss!

OK, so there's not all that much wafting buttery cake, but that never really lasted on me past the wet stage. But just toss on a dab of Beaver Moon or Midway and Bob's your uncle! Wait, Bob's YOUR uncle? Oh my gosh, he's my uncle too! We must be related!

Seriously, folks, I am six kinds of giddy to find something so close to one of my favorite LEs. I had hoarded two imps of Closet and was broken-hearted to think that one day I'd run out, but now I can have my berryliciousness always! Fresh! Forever! Hooray!

Right after my exciting Bordello=Closet discovery, I tried on Tushnamatay. It smelled fabulous, and familiar. TOO familiar. Vanilla...sandalwood...something saffrony...

OH MY GOD...IT'S UNDERPANTS! TUSHNAMATAY IS UNDERPANTS!

Again, no wafty butter, but close enough for me! I can use up my imp now. What are the odds of finding two MB-equivalents in a row?!

Or maybe I just have Monsters on the brain... :P

Edited by Lysistrata

Help.

I got an imp of Mi-Go and ADORE it. What smells similar to this in the GC? I'm worried I'm going to run out of my imp and be left without something I've fallen in love with!

i'm a HUGE fan of Mi-Go and worry about the same thing. i can't remember all of them, but some of the new Excolos are reminiscent of Mi-Go, but now i can't remember which ones exactly. i think i felt like Yemaya had some of the same feel, and mabye Obatala?

it's the pink-pepper w/fruit combo that knocks my socks off every time.

*cradles stach of Mi-Go and croons softly to it*

n.

I tried to scan to see if anyone posted this, but the first thing I thought when I sniffed Lump of Coal was Bastet.

Just a thought ^^

Shango is similar to MiGo, but not as bright...its more of a red scent than a happy-pink scent, if that makes any sense at all. Mi-Go always strikes me as a happy jingly sparkly scent, and Shango is more of a deep, thoughtful scent.

Buck Moon and Devil's Night are quite similar on me. They share a very particular woodsy muskiness, though Buck Moon is sweeter.

I got an imp of Drink Me with my last order and it made it to the bottle order wishlist straight away. But then I realized how similar it is to Underpants. So if you missed the Underpants, get yourself a bottle of Drink Me. It's got that same creamy, caramelized deliciousness. A great equivalent.

Shango is similar to MiGo, but not as bright...its more of a red scent than a happy-pink scent, if that makes any sense at all. Mi-Go always strikes me as a happy jingly sparkly scent, and Shango is more of a deep, thoughtful scent.

*nod*, i totally get that.

the Tweedles should be tried by lovers of Mi-Go, and Yemaya by lovers of Fr00t Moon - another favorite summer scent of mine.

oh, and if you like the Clinique perfume Happy, Aizen Myoo takes Happy and blows it right out of the water. YUM! even though it's not got the same notes as Mi-Go, it reminds me of Mi-Go in that "happy jingly sparkly" way.

n.

Edited by zenvodunista

Corazon has a similar note with Lampades. Though in Lampades it's somewhat overpowering... Corazon is a bit more muted, musky etc. But I think it's because of this note that I adore Corazon, so.. for now, Lampades will make me happy.

Having now received a bottle of Gypsy Queen, I can now answer my own question. No, it's not really like All Saint's 2005. If any of the GC scents resemble Gypsy Queen, it would be Baghdad. Those who jones for Gypsy Queen would do well to try Baghdad.

Meanwhile, All Saint's 2005 looks to be sui generis - the closest I can think of with GC's would be layering Hymn with a bit of Pele and Morocco.

Khajuraho is a permanant love of mine and I find in hot summer weather it is just right, and I'm wearing it almost every day at the moment! I would love to try some other BPALs that have a similar sort of juicy floral/slightly woody/slightly sharp-sweet "feel" to them. Has anyone got any recommendations or suggestions?

I have always thought that florals don't work on me, and a lot of jasmine heavy scents are disastrous, but Khajuraho has made me revise my attitude that florals=instant headache. Help me navigate the mysterious world of florals :P

Bagfish, you have some very similar preferences to mine, and I love Khajurho, and I'm not a florals type. Except...I can't wear Khajuraho in the summer, becase I'm in the hot, humid, windy midwest USA! :P Florals are better on me in the winter and don't overwhelm me as much.

I utterly avoided florals at first, but I got a frimp of Blood Lotus when I was a noob and I loved it -- lotus and dragon's blood alone aren't good on me, but together they produce a lotus incense smell, and I think Khajuraho has a floral incense quality. Kali is another blend with florals to consider -- it's really complex, and again, the florals don't overwhelm. I've layered Kali with O for some amazing results. Which is also something to consider -- if you find a scent that's a good base "mixer," as I find O, you can layer and dilute some of the floral whammy. And I rather like Wanda. It's leather and rose, and while those two notes are normally overwhelmingly dominant on me in other blends, when they fight against each other in Wanda, it somehow works. I especially enjoy Wanda if I layer it with Urd to get the incense element going on.

Don't you love it when you get a surprise and figure out that you can wear some florals? My range has certainly expanded in the last year, since I starting trying a lot of BPAL. Happy testing!

I might just be crazy, but when I wear them, Khajuraho and Hellion seem really similar to me--both sweet floral incensey blends. Now, mind you, they're not the same--hellion is a darker spicier version, so it could be a great fall/winter scent for you. I loved hellion, but on me, khajuraho was so similar that I didn't need to buy a bottle of both. I think it might be the champaca flower:

Hellion: A scent for all rabble-rousing, nose-thumbing reprobates: black plum, champaca flower, dark musk, patchouli, narcissus and scorched sandalwood

Khajuraho: honey, date palm, tuberose, davana blossom, amber, white sandalwood, vanilla bean, Damask rose, and champaca flower.

Hrm... Two Monsters in Salon has champaca flower. Also oakmoss, vetiver, black musk, leather, patchouli, ginger, Japanese pittosporum, ambergris and white pepper. Japanese pittosporum is otherwise known as mock orange.

Kalli

Red phoenix was nothing like blood moon for me. Bloodmoon is sweet, red phoenix is pure incensey.

Similarly, Gypsy queen for me had a fruityness...while baghdad... is incensy. I seriously dislike baghdad but on the other hand would actually buy a bottle of gypsy queen.