Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

You might want to try the GC blend Sed non Satiata; that one had a reputation of being along the same lines as Smut :D

Melantha loves teh Smut! (Thank you, angharad!) I've managed to get a hold of a few bottles, but it *will* run out. :P

What other scents can I try? I have a feeling I should have ordered Fortunato and Montressor, my bad. Are there any GC scents along that line?

Thanks!

Help!

I have discovered that Luperci turns my man into sex on a stick and I like it. A lot. :D

Only problem is, we only got a few bottles of it and I'm starting to worry about what we'll do when it runs out. :P

Do any of you lovelies know what the most similar GC to Luperci is? I've looked at Golden Priapus and Greed. What do you think?

Thanks!

Having just tried my newly-acquired imp of The Hierophant, I find it to be a very close cousin of Jacob's Ladder.

They both have a dominant amber note to my nose. The reviews of The Hierophant mention cinnamon and clove, but I'm not getting anything like that. Just nice, sweet, smokey amber. :P

So if you've been hoarding Jacob's Ladder like I have, this may the answer to your slathering prayers. :D

Edited by coyoterose

Not exact matches, but similar:

Queen Mab ~ Rose Red :: on me I get the green part of rose red in queen mab. The floral is different, but that tart greenery is there.

The Fool ~ Usher :: they have the same mint but not mint vibe to me. I'm also getting the same fougere feeling from the fool. However, the fool is a little more mentholy and sharp and doesn't have the pretty fruity backdrop Usher does.

I still cannot get over how similar Ochosi and Buck Moon smell on my skin. And I'm liking Obatala a lot more than Milk Moon now, though they are both similar. The new catalogue scents are so drool-worthy...

Yesterday, I wore Beaver Moon to work and let all my colleagues smell it.

Today I wore Antique Lace, and one coworker sniffed it and said, "Ah, the Beaver Moon perfume again?"

And they do both have that sweet vanilla thing going, although Beaver Moon has more butter in it. But it's nice to know there's a reasonably good GC substitute.

I wonder what would happen if you layered Antique Lace with Shill?

Also, Storme gave me an imp of The Apothecary, saying it was like Enbalming Fluid wet and turned into Budding Moon on drydown. And indeed, it was very much so.

Also, I smell certain similarities between Monster Bait: Underpants and Morocco and Bastet. In Bastet it's probably the sweet saffron, in Morocco it's the spicy vanilla.

Also, I smell certain similarities between Monster Bait: Underpants and Morocco and Bastet. In Bastet it's probably the sweet saffron, in Morocco it's the spicy vanilla.

This is making me reeealllly eager for my Underpants to arrive, because Bastet is one of my favorites. As is Morocco, actually. Mmmm spices!

I think I may have asked this question and not gotten an answer so I'll put it out there again if anyone knows - Is there a GC scent at all like All Saint's 2005? Rose Cross is nowhere near it, IME. How about Hymn? The closest I can think of is layering Hymn/Rose Cross/Euphrosyne to get all the resins AND rose AND gardenia...

Mmm, Snow Angel. It's so hard to find, and I am so thankful and blessed to have had someone willing to decant an imp for newbie me with nothing to trade! But now... I want more. Is there possibly anything that comes close, or any way I can come close?

I'm already on the prowl for an imp of Yemaya, since I absolutely LOVE honeydew and I'd love to smell like it, and since I've wanted to try Fee (I read earlier in the thread that Fae is also similar, but I wasn't able to find any references to Fae... can someone enlighten me?)

My body chemistry is the most awful thing sometimes, but Snow Angel seems like it's been lovely to me, so if I can get something to come close, I'd be so happy.

Thanks so much!

Help! I need to find a GC (or a few GC's to layer) that smell similar to Luperci.

Luperci smells so swoon worthy on the boy. It's just perfect.

Any ideas?

Based on the "want" list in swaps, what we need is a Shubb sub. Any ideas?

There's Gingerbread Poppet, but it's just not as strong. And on me it vanishes. My All Saints 2004 has some of the same nice ginger qualities, but again, not close enough.

This is a totally bizarre similarity, as they smell nothing alike in the early stages, but Storm Moon and Whippoorwill have the exact same (several hours in) drydown on me.

:P

Really?? Old Dublin might be like Mistletoe? If that's the case then I definitely need to check out Dublin...

IMO, Dublin smelled nothing like Mistletoe. I'd say that Hemlock is closer to Mistletoe, and you can concoct a passable substitute for Skadi by layering Mistletoe or Hemlock over Baneberry.

I adore Skadi, too. :P Woe. (Though I have to say that Snow Bunny seems very similar to me, as it's the very same pine note, and there's just a difference in the secondary note (slushy/cold in SB, and berries in Skadi).

What about Beaver Moon, is there a GC similar to it?

Ah Beaver Moon- how I love thee...

GC scents like it? Short answer- no. The only GC scent to my knowledge that has cake in it is the new Eat Me, although it's not the red velvet and cream cheese frosting goodness that Beaver Moon is, but I'm excited to get it becasue Beth's "cake" blends rock. Monster Bait:Closet is a little similar, but lighter and with blackberries...

I haven't gotten Underpants yet, but I think that might be similar to Beaver Moon too...

You could try Bliss mixed with Bengal, those two together might have a Beaver Moon sort of feel...

edited for a typo...

Edited by Arylkin

In my experience, these blends have been similar in some respects, enough that wearing one immediately & often brought the other to mind. :

King of Clubs --> Viola

Red Lantern --> Wanda

Chaste Moon --> Temperance (Tarot)

Frost Moon --> The Fool (Tarot)

Smut --> Scherezade

Dana O'Shee or Antique Lace are the closest I've found to Beaver Moon, with Antique Lace being slightly closer. A colleague of mine smelled Antique Lace on me one day and took it for the Beaver Moon I'd worn the previous day. They're both sweet and laden with vanilla.

I haven't tried Gluttony, but I hear from people that it is also sugary and rich with a nutty flavor to it. That's a possibility.

So, having tried a few new limited edition blends in the past couple weeks, I've got a few similarities worth mentioning:

I find La Fee Verte almost indistinguishable from Zorya on my skin. Admittedly, I've got strange skin chemistry, so your milage may very, but I found them nearly identical.

I also find that Hearth 2004 is very similar to Herr Drosselmeyer - HD is less sweet (it lacks that cherry/maple syrup scent in Hearth 2004), but the base notes are similar.

And, as has been mentioned before, I find Obatala very similar to Milk Moon (which means, unfortunatly, Obabtala doesn't work on my skin), and Snowbunny is very like my bottle of Skadi.

I'd suggest Gluttony, Eat Me, Velvet, Elegba or Hollywood Babylon.

Help! I need to find a GC (or a few GC's to layer) that smell similar to Luperci.

Luperci smells so swoon worthy on the boy. It's just perfect.

Any ideas?

Have you tried greed? On me, they have a very similar feel, though they're not identical. Both golden earthy woodsy smells. Mmmm....

I think it's been mentioned in the reviews, but I found Oya to be very similar to the King or Queen of Spades. Sort of between the two.

Just discovered another GC similar to Beaver Moon, and a possible substitute for it: Hunger.

Hunger goes on very sharp and resiny, and the sharpness (to be honest) I don't like very much. On drydown, though, after a couple hours, all I can smell is vanilla, vanilla, and more vanilla. "You smell like a cake," my co-worker told me. Works for me!

So if you're like me, and BPAL's sweet vanilla scents LURVE you, you might consider waiting through the wet stage of Hunger to get a Beaver Moon-like smell, all without that pesky acquisition difficulty!

Hunger's also similar to Antique Lace, but not as creamy and with a sharper resiny-floral undertone.

Edited by Lysistrata

On me, Spellbound and Scherezade are very similar to Smut.

I also found Brisingamen to be very close to Jacob's Ladder.

Edited by SPamber

On me MB Closet = Grog + Gluttony. :P

On a subject of Smut and Scherezade similarity: I find Smut and Scherezade very different. Smut is in my top 10, the most beautiful blend of musks, it is sharing the very top spot with another scent. Scherezade I tried once and couldn't believe how bad it was on me: all sharp saffron and sassafras. I tried it one more time - same thing, so I traded it away.

Hiya guys-

Does anyone here think that Ochosi is a good Buck Moon sub? How about Olokun for Cthulhu? I've heard the comparisons made in the review thread, but only by one or two people. I thought there might be more who haven't thought up a full review yet but could confirm!!

Also, I'm always on the hunt for a Cerberus sub if anyone's got an idea. Poor little doggie :P

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly Gomorrah reminded me of Cerberus.