Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I agree with ChupaChup - although they appear to share notes, they don't smell the same to me. Freak Show is much darker, while 13's iris note became the most predominant on the drydown making it really floral for me.

Crossroads was mostly allergy-inducing jasmine on me. A green scent...I liked it at first but it gave me a headache and now in retrospect I don't think I like it at all because I don't care for jasmine.

To me, there's nothing that even comes close to Queen of Clubs (my favorite LE!), but if you take Persephone and layer it with Graveyard Dirt and something with amber in it, it might come close.

I was very pleased to find that Lady Macbeth and Midwinter's Eve were very similar. It smells pretty much like the same thing, but Lady Macbeth lacks Midwinter's Eve "cold" note. Possibly if you layered it with Szepassony even that would be taken care of... :P

Does anyone know if there's a catalog scent that mimics Harvest Moon? I got an imp last year, was dying to order a bottle this year and then up and missed it. :P

Block Buster and Harvest Moon '05 remind me of each other. But keep in mind that Harvest Moon '04 and '05 have significant differences.

They're certainly not the same, but I'm sniffing Arcana today and the over-powering lemon makes me think of June Gloom

the lovely June is much sweeter, while this is grounded in resins, but I think a little layering with something sweet could give a lovely result.

(this is where I get slated for having a wonky nose :P)

Does anyone know if there's a catalog scent that mimics Harvest Moon? I got an imp last year, was dying to order a bottle this year and then up and missed it. :P

Block Buster and Harvest Moon '05 remind me of each other. But keep in mind that Harvest Moon '04 and '05 have significant differences.

I can second this. Block Buster is Harvest Moon 05's brighter, sunnier relation.

How similar are Midway and Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo? :D

I've got an imp of Midway, and I've got an imp of Mojo coming...but I'm feeling impatient! :P The urge to snag a completely excessive amount of Midway off eBay is getting...stronger....must....resist.........*flail*

How similar are Midway and Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo? :D

I've got an imp of Midway, and I've got an imp of Mojo coming...but I'm feeling impatient! :P The urge to snag a completely excessive amount of Midway off eBay is getting...stronger....must....resist.........*flail*

Ooh I'm late to this party... but Midway and AC Joy Mojo are not even CLOSE on me. Joy Mojo is much brighter, and fruity almost, and Midway is all about the rich sweet scents you find at a state fair. I love both of them, but they aren't very similar to me.

As I discovered today, layering "Mistletoe" over "Baneberry" is a passable substitute for "Skadi". Color me very happy indeed. :P

Anyone have a suggestion for a catalog equivalent to Midway (besides Grog)? I really love the part of Midway that smells like cotton candy. Love :P

I've not tried this, but one would *almost* think that layering Gluttony plus The Hesperides might be a little close. Since I don't always get much amber on me, adding O to the mix might bring me fairly close. I dunno, but Midway is certainly yummy.

Anyone have a suggestion for a catalog equivalent to Midway (besides Grog)? I really love the part of Midway that smells like cotton candy. Love :P

I actually haven't tried midway, so I"m not positive, but Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo has that very pink-cotton-candy bubble gum sweet kinda smell to me. More complex than that, but maybe worth a try.

I actually haven't tried midway, so I"m not positive, but Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo has that very pink-cotton-candy bubble gum sweet kinda smell to me. More complex than that, but maybe worth a try.

Hiya... you didn't get to try Midway? Only the best evocative smell ever that so totally reminds me of being right at the fairgrounds that I could just close my eyes and almost hear it all too? Yipes! (Want me to send you an imp? PM me your address.)

AC Joy Mojo is a pretty different scent, but might work fairly well if you like Midway.

Hmmm, I wonder if Trick or Treat or possibly Sugar Skull would give that super sweet smell too. I love love LOVE Midway, and both of those are soooo sweet and wonderful too.

Does anyone else think that Dia de los Muertos smells like Block Buster? Because on me, they're almost identical. To the point where I'm almost wondering if there was some freak mix-up.

I just fell in love with pumpkin patch 2 (pumpkin with cocoa, hazelnut and walnut). To my (admitedly very unexperienced) nose, the cocoa is the note that really stands out the most. What do you think about layering Jack and Bliss to try for something similar?

Edited by xith

I'm curious- what other blends are similar to Queen of Clubs? She's not an everyday blend for me, but I only have about half an imps worth, and want to see if maybe a similar scent will be more everyday wearable. I like aspects of her, but not all of them. Alas, I'm lacking in the vocabulary to properly explain what I mean.

I've fallen for Annabel Lee and it's unlike any of the other BPAL scents I own. Can anyone think of something similar to it?

I just fell in love with pumpkin patch 2 (pumpkin with cocoa, hazelnut and walnut). To my (admitedly very unexperienced) nose, the cocoa is the note that really stands out the most. What do you think about layering Jack and Bliss to try for something similar?

That might work, Xith. Also -- have you tried Tezcatlipoca? That has a powdered cocoa/woodsy vibe. Velvet might work well, too.

For the dark day when I run out of my precious, hoarded All Saint's 2005 - what catalog scent is closest? Is Rose Cross a reasonable facsimile?

To my nose, Block Buster has a strong apple cider component.

I was debating trying to layer Jack (which I don't own, but keep intending on ordering an imp of) with Block Buster to try and duplicate Pumpkin Patch 1.

Not that I have any idea how that would work, just that I went and put on some PP1 after trying Block Buster to see if I was just remembering the cider smell wrong.

To my nose, Velvet has a nice cocoa, but it's nothing like that lovely note in PP2.

I don't know why I thought the cocoa stood out most in PP2, because it's definitely the pumpkin. I haven't tried Jack and Bliss yet, but plan to, and will report back on it when it happens... I'm also going to try making a solid perfume of Jack using some cocoa butter, so we'll see how that turns out as well.

I'll have to get ahold of some velvet to see how that works in it, too. As for Tezcatlipoca, I'm scared of patchouli.

Edited by xith

I'll have to get ahold of some velvet to see how that works in it, too. As for Tezcatlipoca, I'm scared of patchouli.

i used to be scared of patchouli, in fact, disliked it intensely, and yet i LOVE tezcatlipoca! another one to try with a strong cocoa note is Centzon Totochtin. my most recent bottle of CT is really strong on the cocoa note -- in fact, i wish it had a bit more of the metallic blood that i liked so much in the imp. i'm hoping a touch of aging will let the cocoa step back a bit.

but yes, very cocoa, with NO patchouli.

n.

i used to be scared of patchouli, in fact, disliked it intensely, and yet i LOVE tezcatlipoca! another one to try with a strong cocoa note is Centzon Totochtin. my most recent bottle of CT is really strong on the cocoa note -- in fact, i wish it had a bit more of the metallic blood that i liked so much in the imp. i'm hoping a touch of aging will let the cocoa step back a bit.

but yes, very cocoa, with NO patchouli.

n.

I'll second that. My husband HATES patchouli with a vengeance, but he likes Tezcatlipoca on me. On me, the patchouli fades fast and all I can smell is chocolatey spice.

My 2 cents:

Annabel Lee smells so much like Desdemona (only better :P), and it also has a lot in common with Titania (just take away the fruity notes). And I´m wearing The Haunted Palace now, and it reminds me of some GC scent, but I can´t really tell which one yet...

And it´s kinda old news, but Niflheim smelled a lot like Yog Sothoth to me

Edited by modesty_blaise

I´m wearing The Haunted Palace now, and it reminds me of some GC scent, but I can´t really tell which one yet...

Haunted Palace reminds me of Tamora, but with orange instead of peach. I kind of like it better :P

Edited by Kaerusatori