Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I just tried All Saints today.

It starts out much like the whole of Penny Dreadful - from the biscuity start to the perfumey dry-down of Penny Dreadful in one beautifully blended aroma. But it then dries down to a fresh soft floral like clean washing hanging on a line; sort of like Leanan Sidhe when Leanan Sidhe goes on well (i.e. not on me)

Ahh Shub. Why have I come too late to BPAL and missed your wonderousness? I have but one imp and I shall treasure it, and hunt for bottles.

But if anyone has any ideas on what catalogue scents or combinations of scents can approximate this lovely, please share. :P

gingerbread poppet and shub are almost indistinguishable on me. gp isn't a regular catalogue scent, but may come back around in winter.

Can anyone tell me if there are any scents that smell similar to Ace of Hearts?

Possibly London, although I think Ace is a little sweeter. Ace is pretty pure rose on me.

I fing Shub to be less yeasty than Poppet :P I like it a lot better.

Edited by joseybird

I personally don't find Shub and GP to be as close as you might think they'd be, given the fact that they're both gingersnap/gingerbread type scents. There are definitely similarities, but Shub has a strong lemon type ginger smell to it that GP doesn't have at all for me. :P

I personally don't find Shub and GP to be as close as you might think they'd be, given the fact that they're both gingersnap/gingerbread type scents.  There are definitely similarities, but Shub has a strong lemon type ginger smell to it that GP doesn't have at all for me. :P

I agree -- Gingerbread Poppet was so buttery and foody that I was slightly sickened by it as a perfume, though if it had been something actually edible, I'm sure I would have snarfed it right up. Shub was much richer and more complex, darker, not buttery at all. It wasn't for me either, but I could really appreciate its beauty (before I traded my bottle with someone who would actually wear it :D ).

I love both GP and Shub :P ! But I have to give the edge to Shub, at least right now, for being less foody and more exotic in the drydown. That may change when winter comes around though, GP might come out on top then :D .

I always saw GP as more baked sweet dessert verses SN's more clean raw ginger scent. It seems the raw scent gives SN a little more green, sharp, spice then the dustier tinge in GP. No matter what I love them both and love that they are just different enough to get to such different yet similar scents. And I would bathe if I could in both of them!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm looking for something similar to Hexennacht's smoky, fir-y, incense-y goodness. (Why why WHY do I keep jumping on these LE imps, only to search desperately for something to take their place once they are gone?) Any suggestions?

Ok, I'm looking for something similar to Hexennacht's smoky, fir-y, incense-y goodness. (Why why WHY do I keep jumping on these LE imps, only to search desperately for something to take their place once they are gone?)  Any suggestions?

I have a little voice in my head saying Black Forest or Nocnitsa or Thanatopsis but they're not really the same, just beautiful in their own right... Still, maybe it's a place to start looking...

Edited by Galen

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that's similar to Milk Moon?  I just received an imp of it today and absolutely love it... and of course it would have to be an LE.  Are there any catalogue scents that are really close?

This reply may really be late, but I love Milk Moon too and I'm on the lookout for similar scents. Not sure if it's just me but I find the drydown of Tarot: The Star very similar to Milk Moon. Of course I'll much prefer Milk Moon as I don't like The Star much when its wet... But I think the drydown is more important, so I'll be including a bottle of The Star in my next order. :P

The Star is another one of those blends that show major differences from bottle to bottle.

I've had one that was all sweet minty coconut :P and another that was a bit high on the lime. I can almost see the similarity of Milk Moon and The Star under those circumstances, but I still feel like Milk Moon is really in a class of its own.

Can anyone tell me if there are any scents that smell similar to Ace of Hearts?

Ophelia, IMO smells fairly similar but slightly more watery. Ace of Hearts has less lotus and more, er, other flowers.

i haven't had a chance to test this out, but i'm thinking that Grandmother of Ghosts may give the same feel as Mi-Go Brain Cannister. pink pepper, peony, and sweet and tart fruits...

anyone with experience of this?

n.

i haven't had a chance to test this out, but i'm thinking that Grandmother of Ghosts may give the same feel as Mi-Go Brain Cannister. pink pepper, peony, and sweet and tart fruits...

anyone with experience of this?

n.

On me (and many other people, judging from the reviews I've read), they're nothing alike. GoG is much more woodsy - on me, it smells almost patchouli-ish at first. It reminds me of Loviatar more than anything else, though it lacks the leather.

They are different in the beginning but after drydown, Love in the Asylum and Black Phoenix are very similar. I love them both!

I really can't tell the difference between Chaste Moon and Leanan Sidhe on me - didn't get any similarity with Dana O'Shee myself.

I didn't find Dana O Shee at all similar.

Snow white was closer, as it's creamier, but not so pink flower/red fruit as CM

I love CM. may have to try Leanan Sidhe. :P

Most of all I'd like something that smells like My Chaos theory.

it's the bastard Child of Burial, Zombi, Rose Red, and Centzon Totochtin.

or smelly likes to Bruja, Hexxenacht or my Beloved Unseelie

They are different in the beginning but after drydown, Love in the Asylum and Black Phoenix are very similar.  I love them both!

Odd Love in the Asylum went a little more like a lighter version of moon rose mixed with a bit of Blood Rose on me. But I can see the similarity since my friend got a much deeper scent off it then I did.

I wore Grog today for the first time, and after a few hours of being on, the butter scent overwhelmed everything else, and turned it into Midway. The butter in Midway is what comes out most on me when I wear that, so it makes sense. I'm not sure if this is true for anyone else, but there you have it. If you missed Carnaval Noir or can't get your hands on any Midway, try Grog. You just have to be patient through the extremely strong boozy butterscotch rum phase before you get to the soft buttery Midway phase!

Grog didn't smell anything like Midway to me...Grog dries down to a sort of faint rum on me, while Midway becomes vanilla-flavored powdered sugar :P

i tried snake oil layered with dragon's milk today, because i got a lot of dragon's milk sweetness from snake charmer. . . .

pretty nice . . .the sexy deep spiciness of snake oil plus the sweet creaminess of dragon's milk is a pretty good dupe if you don't have snake charmer.

which is delightful.

I layered Skuld and Djinn yesterday on a whim, and danced around like an idiot when I found it was VERY similar to Ice Queen :P YAY! :D