Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

You might keep an eye on the Lilliths. There tend to be a lot of light, sweet lavenders in those releases.

I know! Puppet Kitty is TEMPTING ME

i know, right? I'm usually resist the Lilith release, but Puppet Kitty caught my eye as well. Really cute idea.

I'm doing a decant circle once I have time to get the post up!

i know, right? I'm usually resist the Lilith release, but Puppet Kitty caught my eye as well. Really cute idea.

I'm doing a decant circle once I have time to get the post up!

I will totes jump on that thing. ;)

Lace Phoenix?

I asked this on Facebook and suggestions were Midnight on the Midway, but I seem to recall trying that in the first CD release and finding it soapy... and looking at reviews it may be too floral for me.

I love Lace’s beautiful, light, ethereal incense... it doesn’t go to soap on me and it’s not floral or headachey. It’s the only incense that’s ever worked on me, normally incense is too dry and woody on me (Mummies of Mexico City was dry, and not sweet enough as an example.) 

Mat Night - “The joy of wanton mischief: caramelized tobacco and slowly falling snow muffling the scent of a distant fire.

I found myself really liking the Mat Night scent but that is obviously no longer available. Any suggestions on something that might match that one that is readily available?

58 minutes ago, Mister Azure said:

Mat Night - “The joy of wanton mischief: caramelized tobacco and slowly falling snow muffling the scent of a distant fire.

I found myself really liking the Mat Night scent but that is obviously no longer available. Any suggestions on something that might match that one that is readily available?

I have not smelled Mat Night, so I'm just going off the notes and the reviews.

Le Lethe and Santa Domingo are CG scents and both have tobacco with a sort of buttery warmth I associate with caramel, although they don't have that specific note listed, and they'd be missing the bonfire and snow note, but maybe you could layer it?  I know Le Lethe in particular makes me think of caramel.

Tiresias, The Androgyne has both caramel and tobacco as listed notes, and I seem to remember it being gender neutralish?  Appropriately.  :)

And you might possibly try finding The Second Morning After Christmas.  It was one of the Baker Street blends.  It didn't have caramel, but it had a tobacco note similar to Hearth's, along with a bit of chilly snow and smoke.  

Is there anything out there a bit like Insects from the Crimson Peak line? I am DISO but in the meantime...

On 7/13/2019 at 5:56 PM, Nymph87 said:

Is there anything out there a bit like Insects from the Crimson Peak line? I am DISO but in the meantime...

I went through this for awhile when I was obsessed with Insects :whip:  The closest GC scents I found to be similar are The Witch Queen and Bewitched. Neither have that green glittering smell at the beginning however. 

Probably not!  I haven't tried it, but red musk, mango, tomato pulp and fig is pretty unusual.  You might try The Dodo (Red musk, lemon peel, sugar cane, cassia, white sandalwood, mango, and agarwood).  The recent LE Blood for Cat might also be worth a shot -- out of stock but probably easier to find (golden amber, black cherry, tonka bean, sweet red musk, dried mango pulp, rooibos tea, red currant, and bitter almond).

Anyone know of scents or combos similar to Paper Phoenix?

I got a bottle from a forum sale, and have had my nose deeply buried in my arm all day. But given that it's discontinued I think I am setting myself up for eventual heartbreak! It's described as a combo of Dorian + Antique Lace + Formula 54, but I only have Antique Lace, and the other two are also kinda hard to come by :) What I love about Paper Phoenix on me is the pink-lemonadeyness and the perfect vanilla it dries down to... I might see what White Rabbit + Antique Lace do if I layer them tomorrow, but if anyone has suggestions, let me know!

On 5/29/2017 at 12:54 PM, milo said:

The Little Wooden Doll is very similar to Eve OLLA, from what I remember. I cannot find my decant to compare, I've been looking for ages, but can anyone concur?

I know this is an older post but... I have been looking for something similar to Eve as well (so I don't finish my entire bottle in less than a year, lol). I've eyeballed Little Wooden Doll but didn't think of it as a cousin to Eve! Does anyone have experience with both perfumes? What do you think - are they similar?

2 hours ago, ShleepySnorlax said:

I love Mountain Temple (2019 yule). Does anyone have similar recommendations? 

A Lady Tall and White and Monastery in the Mountains come to mind. Both lovely snow & sandalwood scents. ALT&W dries down much sweeter with the vanilla. 

Hello! For anyone who's ever smelled Bright Goddess of the Skies (a Sphere+Sundry collab), do you have any suggestions of perfumes (BPAL or otherwise) that smell the same? It's my all-time favourite perfume, and even though I love the magical effects as well, I'll be very sad once I run out of my single bottle to never smell it again. I can't place what it is about it that smells so perfect - I've tried some BPALS with honey/vanilla/rose/jasmine notes but it's not quite the same.

Edit: Also looking for a smell-alike for Beloved Dead! It's still available but I would prefer to have that wonderful humid smell without the magical effects sometimes haha

Edited by aphrodisms

On 1/10/2021 at 11:17 AM, ShleepySnorlax said:

I love Mountain Temple (2019 yule). Does anyone have similar recommendations? 

So...I don't know about a GC that's similar, but this year's Marshmallow Snow gave me similar vibes. Very unexpected!  Maybe see if you can try a decant. My nose could just be crazy. :D

Sorry if anyone's already asked for this but I couldn't find it - anything similar to In Omnibus Caritas? I love that one so much and would love a full size bottle of it but for now I'll take anything that resembles it!

16 hours ago, Moonbell said:

Sorry if anyone's already asked for this but I couldn't find it - anything similar to In Omnibus Caritas? I love that one so much and would love a full size bottle of it but for now I'll take anything that resembles it!

That one smells similar to some of the past vulvas in the Lupercalia line, sort of musky, creamy, sweet.  So maybe check out the notes of those and see if you can find some imps in the swaps thread.

You might also try The Mouse’s Long and Sad Tale, O, and Vasillisa, which are GC fragrances, or Alisz from the Carnival Diabolique line. 

16 hours ago, VetchVesper said:

That one smells similar to some of the past vulvas in the Lupercalia line, sort of musky, creamy, sweet.  So maybe check out the notes of those and see if you can find some imps in the swaps thread.

You might also try The Mouse’s Long and Sad Tale, O, and Vasillisa, which are GC fragrances, or Alisz from the Carnival Diabolique line. 

Thanks! I've been wanting to try Vasillisa for quite a while to begin with so that's definitely good to know! 

Didn't even think of the vulvas before, though, thanks for pointing those out!

Anything similar to Faster Kittycat? I thought it was very nice but today I wore it on a run and the mix of cool down sweat and perfume is like catnip. This is a fragrance that smells even more amazing heated up. Of course I would discover this once the Lilith’s went down. 

Another Lilith: You are not alone - what other GC ones are as comforting as this one, if any?

I’m getting rather low on my favorite fragrance “the sun rising” (the 2020 Lupercalia edition). Any ideas on something close to this that’s more readily available in the catalog? I love the jasmine neroli/beeswax/smoke combo going on in this one, and the 2021 version seemed to lose those notes and turn into something different.