Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Anyone have a recommendation for something that smells similar to Banshee Beat? Yes? YES?

I've never used either, but I think some reviews of Ask the Nearest Hippie drew a comparison.

Anyone have a recommendation for something that smells similar to Banshee Beat? Yes? YES?

it's eventually being re-released as a general catalog scent called Revenant Rhythm, which is already available in hair gloss, atmosphere spray, and bath oil form at the Trading Post. :)

I have Banshee Beat purchased from UO back in the day, as well as the Lab's re-release as OGBB. They are identical because the Lab found a big supply and rebottled it as OGBB. Revenant Rhythm is the same, so I highly recommend getting some of that from the Trading Post while it's available. You can read threads on the many uses for hair gloss and bath oil and atmo in the BPTP threads.

So, I love patchouli, and especially patchouli with vanilla so I have many bottles of BPALs with those notes. Mind you, these are just my thoughts and skin chemistry is different on everyone yadda yadda yadda :wink: I'll run down a few that I have:

Goblin (bonus- it's a GC scent and impable) is the closest that I've found to BB. The benzoin and coconut blend into a sweetness with the patchouli. The coconut is nothing like suntan lotion, so have no fear there. The patch is the same kind as in BB. I highly recommend this one as a great alternative.

Ask the Nearest Hippie: the weed is very prominent in the bottle and when first applied, and although it dries down fairly quickly, it makes this a more gnarly scent and not as wearable in public. The patch is dry and dark and the scent is not as sweet as BB.

Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure (also kind of hard to find): this is beautiful, the same patch to me as in BB and the amber here takes this into a different realm, but the honey keeps this on the sweet side.

#occupywallstreet: another dark, black patch, but with cocoa and tobacco as well as vanilla. This one is another dark patchouli, not as sweet due to the tobacco and the cocoa lending a dryness to it. Gorgeous and wearable, but the dark counterpoint to BB.

These are the first ones that pop into my head whenever this question is asked. I might have more suggestions after I've finished my coffee :coffee:

If you do a search in this thread alone, you will find many recommendations with addition comments.

Also, here:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/1838-bpal-patchouli-theres-nothing-else-like-it/page-6?hl=banshee&do=findComment&comment=1779184

And here:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/21163-searching-for-the-perfect-vanilla/page-14?hl=banshee&do=findComment&comment=1848794

But keep an eye out for Revenant Rhythm for sure!

THANK YOU! I'm gonna have to throw a bottle of goblin into my cart during my next order. I was lucky to have purchased a RR hairgloss from the fb sales page so that's how I discovered about the existence of Banshee beat in the first place.

All in all I'm in love with the scent and can't get enough of it. Hopefully goblin with scratch that itch.

Does anyone have recommendations for something similar to Edith Cushing?

Not entirely the same, but Lyonesse or Morocco may have some of the same vibe and appeal that you're looking for.

Does anyone have recommendations for something similar to Edith Cushing?

Not entirely the same, but Lyonesse or Morocco may have some of the same vibe and appeal that you're looking for.

Yeah, Morocco.

Looking for recommendations similar to a few things:

1) my beloved but long-departed King of Clubs: deeper, darker earth notes with dark musk, tobacco leaf, oakmoss, amber, leather, sage and vetiver with fig and bitter almond. The almond is no big deal, but the rest... <3

2) Orpheus, which I never expected to work on me but did: Pale musk, green mandarin, neroli, benzoin, citrus peel, blue lavender, narcissus, stephanotis, crushed green stems, willow branch and cedar. It's the only floral that's ever worked on me, because it's mostly greens and cedar with a faint hint of white.

3) I've been stretching out my bottle of Oborot, but one day it's going to go! Any more easily-obtainable scents work as a dark, cool forest-and-incense stand-in? Balkan fir sap, dark mosses, Greek Mountain tea flower, black pine, salty ocean spray, deep black earth, and a moon-touched magickal incense of sandarac, frankincense, and ravensara.

Thanks in advance!

I have Banshee Beat purchased from UO back in the day, as well as the Lab's re-release as OGBB. They are identical because the Lab found a big supply and rebottled it as OGBB. Revenant Rhythm is the same, so I highly recommend getting some of that from the Trading Post while it's available. You can read threads on the many uses for hair gloss and bath oil and atmo in the BPTP threads.

So, I love patchouli, and especially patchouli with vanilla so I have many bottles of BPALs with those notes. Mind you, these are just my thoughts and skin chemistry is different on everyone yadda yadda yadda :wink: I'll run down a few that I have:

Goblin (bonus- it's a GC scent and impable) is the closest that I've found to BB. The benzoin and coconut blend into a sweetness with the patchouli. The coconut is nothing like suntan lotion, so have no fear there. The patch is the same kind as in BB. I highly recommend this one as a great alternative.

Ask the Nearest Hippie: the weed is very prominent in the bottle and when first applied, and although it dries down fairly quickly, it makes this a more gnarly scent and not as wearable in public. The patch is dry and dark and the scent is not as sweet as BB.

Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure (also kind of hard to find): this is beautiful, the same patch to me as in BB and the amber here takes this into a different realm, but the honey keeps this on the sweet side.

#occupywallstreet: another dark, black patch, but with cocoa and tobacco as well as vanilla. This one is another dark patchouli, not as sweet due to the tobacco and the cocoa lending a dryness to it. Gorgeous and wearable, but the dark counterpoint to BB.

These are the first ones that pop into my head whenever this question is asked. I might have more suggestions after I've finished my coffee :coffee:

If you do a search in this thread alone, you will find many recommendations with addition comments.

Also, here:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/1838-bpal-patchouli-theres-nothing-else-like-it/page-6?hl=banshee&do=findComment&comment=1779184

And here:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/21163-searching-for-the-perfect-vanilla/page-14?hl=banshee&do=findComment&comment=1848794

But keep an eye out for Revenant Rhythm for sure!

Those would be my recs exactly!

On another note, I found To His Mistress Going to Bed similar to Hetairae, in their figgy patchouliness.

I have a sad lack of mint in my life. Any recommendations for scents like Menacing Ionospheric Research Instrument or Green Tree Viper?

I have a sad lack of mint in my life. Any recommendations for scents like Menacing Ionospheric Research Instrument or Green Tree Viper?

Not exactly, but have you tried...

Shattered: A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms

Undertow: lotus and juniper with a hint of mint

Ultraviolet: Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

Cathode: Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints.

I really like all four of these, and they're all GCs. I also recommend getting your paws on one of the Lick Its (a candy cane scent that comes around every other Yule or so) -- it's a simple, sweet mint that layers well with other blends.

Looking for recommendations similar to a few things:

1) my beloved but long-departed King of Clubs: deeper, darker earth notes with dark musk, tobacco leaf, oakmoss, amber, leather, sage and vetiver with fig and bitter almond. The almond is no big deal, but the rest... <3

2) Orpheus, which I never expected to work on me but did: Pale musk, green mandarin, neroli, benzoin, citrus peel, blue lavender, narcissus, stephanotis, crushed green stems, willow branch and cedar. It's the only floral that's ever worked on me, because it's mostly greens and cedar with a faint hint of white.

3) I've been stretching out my bottle of Oborot, but one day it's going to go! Any more easily-obtainable scents work as a dark, cool forest-and-incense stand-in? Balkan fir sap, dark mosses, Greek Mountain tea flower, black pine, salty ocean spray, deep black earth, and a moon-touched magickal incense of sandarac, frankincense, and ravensara.

Thanks in advance!

1-3) Haven't tried King of Clubs, or Oborot, but since you mention forest-incense, have you tried Druid yet?

2) Orpheus! I mean, it was really distinctive. The Salon scents were deliciously complex, so many amazing winners there. But, you might try Mag Mell, 51, Apothecary. And if you like mostly-greens then maybe Yggdrasil. None of these are "like" Orpheus but you may like them in their own right. Amsterdam is more watery and lighter and a bit more floral less green.

Not exactly, but have you tried...

Shattered: A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms

Undertow: lotus and juniper with a hint of mint

Ultraviolet: Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

Cathode: Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints.

I really like all four of these, and they're all GCs. I also recommend getting your paws on one of the Lick Its (a candy cane scent that comes around every other Yule or so) -- it's a simple, sweet mint that layers well with other blends.

Undertow hated me -- somehow the lotus turned to an anise note, what even are you doing, skin? But Ultraviolet sounds fantastic, so I'll definitely give that one a try!

Has anyone tried both Mystical Aphorisms of the Fortune Cookie and Hecate? Are they similar or different? I like the idea of sweet almond incense but I already have a bottle of Hecate.

Edited by sunlitgarden

I'm having one heck of a time trying to search the forum for a recommendation for something similar to Eve. I guess it's really just too short to search. Can anyone recommend anything similar?

I can't remember if I posted in here before about this, but here goes:

If you loved Eve (OLLA) or are curious about her, you might want to give Cicuta (Vampires Don't Sleep Alone) a go; while it's not as complex as Eve, it shares some vibes with her - the incense-shrouded dusty rose and the slightly spiced edge. I think it's a fairly good replacement for Eve, and I certainly love both of them :D

I'm having one heck of a time trying to search the forum for a recommendation for something similar to Eve. I guess it's really just too short to search. Can anyone recommend anything similar?

Try searching "olla + eve" under death matching and in reviews.

The above aviatrix suggestion was what I pulled from this thread.

I can't remember if I posted in here before about this, but here goes:

If you loved Eve (OLLA) or are curious about her, you might want to give Cicuta (Vampires Don't Sleep Alone) a go; while it's not as complex as Eve, it shares some vibes with her - the incense-shrouded dusty rose and the slightly spiced edge. I think it's a fairly good replacement for Eve, and I certainly love both of them :D

Try searching "olla + eve" under death matching and in reviews.

The above aviatrix suggestion was what I pulled from this thread.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For both!

Cicuta is a really lovely scent in any case. I've never sniffed Eve, but I'm glad I have Cicuta. I should remember to wear it more often.

Has anyone been able to find a dupe for Variety of Pleasing Amusements? I just finished up my first bottle and I'm slowly nursing my second (and last) bottle. I saw a response here a few years ago that Perversion is close, but it has champagne (I can't handle booze notes aside from rum and cognac) and I don't currently have an imp of it.

Could anyone recommend anything similar to Poem Cloud hair gloss? I have Scherezade which I find quite similar but not as gentle.

I have recently fallen deeply in love with Purple Phoenix and want to try anything that has the same "feel". I seem to think I like the grape and violet notes the best, and yet I feel there may be some floral notes in there that I'm not quite familiar with, but enjoy..........

I'm looking for any recommendations on scents - preferably ones that are easy to get.

I have tried Horreur Sympathique, and while I like it, it's not quite as floral as Purple Phoenix and I do believe that it's the violet I am missing. I have Nocturne and it's heavenly, hence I believe the violet is a hit for me.

TIA

Hmm. This is challenging, because Purple Phoenix is a stunning violet-like floral. It's on me a little candy sweet and fruity, but with plums, and purple fruits, maybe blackberry? In the meantime it also has a very lilac-petally violet. I don't think the two come together easily.

However, I'd recommend:

For the lush purple florals:

Morgause (caveat: incensy. Definitely not fruity). This is the first one that jumped out in my mind. I love it. It's definitely got some jasmine-like notes, which may be ok since you like Nocturne (that reads to me more tuberose).

For Violet:

Sybaris (caveat: vanilla and clove is a bit spicier. Not fruity).

Nocturne (as you know! Tuberose is wonderful).

Mokey (more lilac, and osmanthus, but still wistful violet).

Bruised Violet Compound (more patchouli/earthy, opoponax is a chunk resin. Not as bright).

For the plummy fruit:

Try Bordello (caveat: sadly, not very violetty, but that same sweet fruit note).

Those are GC.

I think you may also like Melisande, the Puppet Mistress (sp, sorry, lol, it's from CD). Jasmine+violet+mimosa.

Faeu Boulanger, if re-released with the Wunderkammer, is an airy slightly misty violet.

Nothing But Death from a Halloweeny is chunkier, chewier dried fruits, + violet.