Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Possibly a long shot but ... I was just recently frimped Crypt Queen and I immediately fell in love. Is there something similar in the GC or even current available LE's?

I had read that the OLLA, Funnel of Love, is close in spirit to the Crypt Queen. "The whole feeling of this blend is rather like Crypt Queen, but with less fruit."

Thanks I'll check that out!

Crypt Queen is one of my top 10 of all time scents! I also love Funnel of Love, but it is nothing like CQ to me. In fact, there has never been anything that I've found to be a spot-on match, although I have tried over the years. But I would recommend Beautiful Death from Dark Delicacies. Even though it doesn't share the notes of Crypt Queen, it reminds me of a lighter member of the family. "A tragedy in one act: pale sandalwood threaded with a vanilla filigree, bitter green cognac, white tobacco, and Roman chamomile, stained by a splash of black tea and the deceptively sweet juice of belladonna berries.". Beth said that she created it for herself because she wanted something "corpse-y and bittersweet for spring.". I have one bottle and have considered a backup to really age for a few years.

So does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to Eldritch Drunken Constellations? On me it starts as a pale pulpy white-green that dries into this amazing green musky spicy ambergris that almost hearkens to the dry-down of my Mikado Saloon HG. I bought it on whim for the name and now I LOVE IT.

I've tried Kumiho and while it starts very similar it dries down to a dry astringent ginger which is nothing like my beloved EDC. I've also tried Yha'Nthlei which I figured should have been almost a dead-ringer given the similar notes but it goes straight up floral soapy on me.

Is there another GC scent I'm missing? I can't imagine anything could be closer than Yha but could be wrong. Does anyone have more experience with Yha'Nthlei? Does it lose the soapiness as it ages and allow the ambergris to come out?

Shoggoth?

Duly noted! I think a lot of the Arkham scents might be worth trying in this regard. Thanks!

The issue with Crypt Queen is it's so complicated and does this slow unfolding of it's scent poem. it's going to be really hard to match. How many blends have nitre for example?

I just made the happy discovery that A Bachelor's Dog and Dee (fresh) are very closely related. The brazillian tobacco gives a slightly more "yellow" sweetness in A Bachelor's Dog, whereas in Dee the incense and tonka give it a slightly different, almost deeper feel. Both are wonderful blends!

So, I'm going through my bottle of Mars Ultor like mad, which is... not good. Does anyone have any recs for a GC or more common LE equivalent? (Note list: "Black amber and smoky vanilla with cistus, benzoin, caramelized tobacco, and blackened nutmeg.")

So, I'm going through my bottle of Mars Ultor like mad, which is... not good. Does anyone have any recs for a GC or more common LE equivalent? (Note list: "Black amber and smoky vanilla with cistus, benzoin, caramelized tobacco, and blackened nutmeg.")

Unfortunately Mars Ultor is one of the most unique scents I've smelled from BPAL, so I've been having to ration as well. The closest blends I can think of are also LEs for the most part, but they still might be more readily available. Red Lantern is sort of similar, so is Eyes Made Strong and Grave with Sleep. Both of them are heavier, though. Nothing I can think of really has that unusual smoky airiness that Ultor does.

If I had to come up with some GCs, maybe Antikythera Mechanism and Hellfire. In fact, Hellfire would probably be your best bet. It's got the sweet smoky musk, tobacco and incense. Still going to be heavier overall, but it's not incredibly far off.

Unfortunately Mars Ultor is one of the most unique scents I've smelled from BPAL, so I've been having to ration as well. The closest blends I can think of are also LEs for the most part, but they still might be more readily available. Red Lantern is sort of similar, so is Eyes Made Strong and Grave with Sleep. Both of them are heavier, though. Nothing I can think of really has that unusual smoky airiness that Ultor does.

If I had to come up with some GCs, maybe Antikythera Mechanism and Hellfire. In fact, Hellfire would probably be your best bet. It's got the sweet smoky musk, tobacco and incense. Still going to be heavier overall, but it's not incredibly far off.

I remember Red Lantern turning really sweet on me. I'll check the others out, though! I'm way overdue for trying Antikythera and Hellfire...

You know what I thought actually smelled really similar? The Black Vanilla & Cardamom HG. Too bad it's not a perfume.

Edited by vthesiren

I remember Red Lantern turning really sweet on me. I'll check the others out, though! I'm way overdue for trying Antikythera and Hellfire...

You know what I thought actually smelled really similar? The Black Vanilla & Cardamom HG. Too bad it's not a perfume.

Black Vanilla and Cardamom HG should be a perfume IMO. I love that one. It hits extraordinary IMO.

Anything in the GC similar to the hallowenches sylvia? (oil: Snuggly brown musk, spicy carnation, leather balsam, bourbon vanilla, terebinth pine, yew berry, and a touch of clove. or HG: Himalayan cedar, vanilla musk, lavender, black clove, honeyed coconut, fir balsam, and juniper berry) <3 <3 <3

Not really specifically looking for GC equivalents but!

One of my favorite blends is Falling Leaf Moon, and my bottle is now almost empty. The Halloweenies included Pile of Leaves scents this year, and now there's been time for people to try them! (the reviews made me want most of them, but limited funds, so)

Which is closest to Falling Leaf Moon? (or if there are other currently available scents that come very close, lay them on me too, but I'm hoping one of the Pile of Leaves scents will work)

I was wondering - haven't had anything BPAL in quite some time, but I always really liked the bottle of Ra that I had. It's too short of a name to search for on the forums, but does anyone know some good equivalents? I'd love to replace it somehow, but the description doesn't name any notes and the forum thread on it has a lot of differing guesses.

Edited by The Earless Imp

This might be a long shot but does anyone know of a GC dupe for The Shadowy and the Sublime? It was a 2010 Gothic Fiction Halloweenie and I'm not sure it was hugely popular because I don't see it mentioned much. The notes are Moroccan amber, wisteria, ambergris accord, white rose, magnolia, white mint, angelica, bergamot, and myrrh.

My imp is all amber and ambergris with an initial whiff of creamy florals that mellows into a slightly sweet wood and resin blend with a wee bit of mint freshening things up. The only other thing I can liken it to is Possets Dangerous oil, but TSATS is much more powdery, floral, spicy and overall complex than that. I will probably cry when my imp is gone.

This might be a long shot but does anyone know of a GC dupe for The Shadowy and the Sublime? It was a 2010 Gothic Fiction Halloweenie and I'm not sure it was hugely popular because I don't see it mentioned much. The notes are Moroccan amber, wisteria, ambergris accord, white rose, magnolia, white mint, angelica, bergamot, and myrrh.

My imp is all amber and ambergris with an initial whiff of creamy florals that mellows into a slightly sweet wood and resin blend with a wee bit of mint freshening things up. The only other thing I can liken it to is Possets Dangerous oil, but TSATS is much more powdery, floral, spicy and overall complex than that. I will probably cry when my imp is gone.

That's a tough one. I am not seeing a lot that looks even close on the old Speadsheet of Doom. Maybe try out Torture Queen when she comes back around with the Carnaval. White amber, vanilla musk, white tea, ambergris, gardenia, and chrome.

Actually The Maltese Cross of Sanctus Germanus from the Carnaval might be closer, but still no mint Golden amber, blood orange, ambergris, lilac, frankincense, and agarwood.

But did you see this? She's got a partial for sale.

Edited by LizziesLuck

That's a tough one. I am not seeing a lot that looks even close on the old Speadsheet of Doom. Maybe try out Torture Queen when she comes back around with the Carnaval. White amber, vanilla musk, white tea, ambergris, gardenia, and chrome.

Actually The Maltese Cross of Sanctus Germanus from the Carnaval might be closer, but still no mint Golden amber, blood orange, ambergris, lilac, frankincense, and agarwood.

But did you see this? She's got a partial for sale.

@ lexyOZ -- That one was really beautiful, so I had taken a bunch of notes trying to figure out what it reminded me of. I tested it against Mme Moriarty & Hymn to Proserpine, and while they weren't "like each other" necessarily they may hold something you like in them. Interestingly, the thing that seemed the closest in feel to me was Tushnamatay -- so, again, not a dupe, but in a similar family, and a really great blend. I ended up not getting it but if it were today i probably *would* get a bottle. Do try Tushnamatay - it is not the same but you may really like it!

Thank you Lizziesluck for the heads up on that partial for sale, and sqwook for your recommendations!

I have been looking for an excuse to try more CD scents so if the Mme and Torture Queen are even a little bit similar, that's good enough for me.

Thank you Lizziesluck for the heads up on that partial for sale, and sqwook for your recommendations!

I have been looking for an excuse to try more CD scents so if the Mme and Torture Queen are even a little bit similar, that's good enough for me.

I'm with you, an excuse to try the Carnavals, now that they're coming back! I find myself wanting to try them all.

I had another thought, but I imagine you've likely already thought of this, but just in case - Lyonesse Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss. It has the amber and the ambergris and some florals. I get a lot of vanilla out of it as well, and some musk. It's quite pretty. Not sure if it would be at all what you're looking for, but it's GC at least!

I'm with you, an excuse to try the Carnavals, now that they're coming back! I find myself wanting to try them all.

I had another thought, but I imagine you've likely already thought of this, but just in case - Lyonesse Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss. It has the amber and the ambergris and some florals. I get a lot of vanilla out of it as well, and some musk. It's quite pretty. Not sure if it would be at all what you're looking for, but it's GC at least!

I actually have a sample of Lyonesse on its way to me right now, so that makes me very happy to hear!

Does anyone have any recommendations GCs similar to for Mopsfledermaus? (Brown sugar and ginger root with smoky clove, bourbon vanilla, cardamom, and Indonesian musk.)

The mint/ambergris/floral combination might have something in common with Vicomte de Valmont? The notes are: ambergris, white musk, white sandalwood, Spanish Moss, orange blossom, three mints, jasmine, rose geranium and a spike of rosemary. There's also the discontinued Utrennyaya (Osmanthus, Damascus rose, violet, delphinium, white mint, palmarosa, and white sandalwood) for a mint/floral combo, but that's probably ever harder to find, unfortunately.

The mint/ambergris/floral combination might have something in common with Vicomte de Valmont? The notes are: ambergris, white musk, white sandalwood, Spanish Moss, orange blossom, three mints, jasmine, rose geranium and a spike of rosemary. There's also the discontinued Utrennyaya (Osmanthus, Damascus rose, violet, delphinium, white mint, palmarosa, and white sandalwood) for a mint/floral combo, but that's probably ever harder to find, unfortunately.

These sound glorious! Thanks for the recommends, I will keep my eyes peeled for Utrennyaya, but the Vicomte has just moved to the top of my must-try list.

I got a decant of the 2009 Dark Delicacies Duets of Horror scent "Christine", and i love it, but it's basically impossible to find, as you can imagine! Even other LE scents that might be easier to find than this would be welcome recommendations. The note list is, "A bouquet of Swedish blossoms -- linnea borealis, hoya, and Phyteuma nigra -- with frankincense and pale vanilla orchid"; but like a lot of other reviews, I mainly get honeysuckle, orchid and frankincense. It's a very soft, green-white floral. Any suggestions?? There aren't a whole lot of GC honeysuckle blends, so maybe someone's heard of something else?

I mainly get honeysuckle, orchid and frankincense. It's a very soft, green-white floral.

Egle (Märchen): Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir. Ends as a beautiful hyacinth/honeysuckle on me.

Titania (Ilyria): white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon. My notes call it a "juicy floral."

TAL's White Light: I get jasmine, gardenia, and tuberose; no official notes listed.

Can't help you with the frankincense part, unfortunately.

I'm also going to put in a plug for BPTP Do the Dancing Maidens Sleep, which is hyacinth/honeysuckle/asphodel/honey/vetiver. Mostly because I just love it. It's up right now, but probably coming down pretty soon, as it's basically a Yule.

I'm also going to put in a plug for BPTP Do the Dancing Maidens Sleep, which is hyacinth/honeysuckle/asphodel/honey/vetiver. Mostly because I just love it. It's up right now, but probably coming down pretty soon, as it's basically a Yule.

Thank you! I have this already, actually, and I don't think they're very similar, but it is really beautiful.

I mainly get honeysuckle, orchid and frankincense. It's a very soft, green-white floral.

Egle (Märchen): Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir. Ends as a beautiful hyacinth/honeysuckle on me.

Titania (Ilyria): white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon. My notes call it a "juicy floral."

TAL's White Light: I get jasmine, gardenia, and tuberose; no official notes listed.

Can't help you with the frankincense part, unfortunately.

I have Egle too! It's also beautiful, but also not similar to Christine on me. I'm sorry! I will look into Titania, though; I've been thinking about trying that one.