Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Anyone have anything similar for "The Gentleman" from Yule 2012?

(A dapper cologne, distant and refined: white musk, lime rind, and rosemary water with tobacco leaf and lilac.)

After a weird, unpleasant drydown, it turns into a delightful cologne, slightly sweet and herbal and almost candy citrusy. I'd like to recreate it or something similar without hunting it down.

I already have (and love) Whitechapel, but on me it's primarily powdery white musk. And Dorian and Jareth just turn into a sugary mess on me. No luck with Mr. Nancy either. Maybe Villain?

This is a long shot but maybe Doom of Beauty? Nice and crisp, has rosemary. Not as floral as you would think for a luper. Its green, Old World, and refreshing but not sharp or heavy on ozone.

And, I have never smelt it, but Phantom Time Hypothesis could fit the bill...

Ooh, these both sound interesting! Thanks for the suggestion!

Still looking for GC scents that could act as substitutes for Count Dracula! I've gotten some nice suggestions, but looking for others as well. Tried Nosferatu- I'm on the fence about it- on me it was very different, and was great until the very last stage where I think it went a little powdery- though I am going to try it again, to make sure it wasn't a fluke or that it wasn't still in travel shock. I also have some Dracul on the way, hopefully.

(A dapper cologne, distant and refined: white musk, lime rind, and rosemary water with tobacco leaf and lilac.)

After a weird, unpleasant drydown, it turns into a delightful cologne, slightly sweet and herbal and almost candy citrusy. I'd like to recreate it or something similar without hunting it down.

I already have (and love) Whitechapel, but on me it's primarily powdery white musk. And Dorian and Jareth just turn into a sugary mess on me. No luck with Mr. Nancy either. Maybe Villain?

Well I haven't smelled the gentlemen, but how about Spider, the convocation or vicomte de valmont?

Another scent that should be hoarded but alas appears frequently on the sales pages is aubin grandpied bunmanchi. It's amazing in hot summer weather and nice when it gets colder, too.

Thank you, I haven't tried any of those, and they all sound interesting!

This perked my ears up! Vicomte de Valmont is my favorite so I am watching everything suggested to you with a lot of interest, haha- a bunch of things being suggested are sounding interesting to me- though your description of Jareth is scaring me- I've been wanting to try that one really badly. I was hoping it wouldn't be as sweet as Dorian.

Obviously skin chemistry varies from person to person, but I didn't find Jareth to be anywhere near as sweet as Dorian. The leather and oude probably help out quite a bit with that. I actually can't wear Dorian (I think I have a mild allergic reaction to it, my eyes get puffy if I wear it), though I do like it on my husband... but Jareth is one of my favorite BPAL scents.

Oh! this is good to hear! Though not that you are allergic to Dorian- I'm sorry to hear that! Do you know what note might be giving you an issue?

I'm going to be trying Dorian again, though last time, all I smelled, and I mean, all I smelled was vanilla cookies and not a hint of the other notes. Jareth sounds more like what I wanted Dorian to be. I'm hunting down a decant if I can because I am new therefore not gutsy enough to just go for a bottle of something unknown. My skin has done some really interesting stuff with BPAL, but it's been picky. I wasn't expecting that.

Thanks for the explanation of the differences for you between Jareth and Dorian- I love hearing how scents compare and change from person to person.

Jareth and Dorian were both way too sweet for me. The only similar bergamot scent of that family that works is Theodosius the Legerdemain (from CD)

Edited by rawgirl75

Still looking for GC scents that could act as substitutes for Count Dracula! I've gotten some nice suggestions, but looking for others as well. Tried Nosferatu- I'm on the fence about it- on me it was very different, and was great until the very last stage where I think it went a little powdery- though I am going to try it again, to make sure it wasn't a fluke or that it wasn't still in travel shock. I also have some Dracul on the way, hopefully.

Well I haven't smelled the gentlemen, but how about Spider, the convocation or vicomte de valmont?

Another scent that should be hoarded but alas appears frequently on the sales pages is aubin grandpied bunmanchi. It's amazing in hot summer weather and nice when it gets colder, too.

Thank you, I haven't tried any of those, and they all sound interesting!

This perked my ears up! Vicomte de Valmont is my favorite so I am watching everything suggested to you with a lot of interest, haha- a bunch of things being suggested are sounding interesting to me- though your description of Jareth is scaring me- I've been wanting to try that one really badly. I was hoping it wouldn't be as sweet as Dorian.

Obviously skin chemistry varies from person to person, but I didn't find Jareth to be anywhere near as sweet as Dorian. The leather and oude probably help out quite a bit with that. I actually can't wear Dorian (I think I have a mild allergic reaction to it, my eyes get puffy if I wear it), though I do like it on my husband... but Jareth is one of my favorite BPAL scents.

Oh! this is good to hear! Though not that you are allergic to Dorian- I'm sorry to hear that! Do you know what note might be giving you an issue?

I'm going to be trying Dorian again, though last time, all I smelled, and I mean, all I smelled was vanilla cookies and not a hint of the other notes. Jareth sounds more like what I wanted Dorian to be. I'm hunting down a decant if I can because I am new therefore not gutsy enough to just go for a bottle of something unknown. My skin has done some really interesting stuff with BPAL, but it's been picky. I wasn't expecting that.

Thanks for the explanation of the differences for you between Jareth and Dorian- I love hearing how scents compare and change from person to person.

Jareth and Dorian were both way too sweet for me. The only similar bergamot scent of that family that works is Theodosius the Legerdemain (from CD)

And Theodosius went *bandaids* on me so I had to re-home my bottle. Everybody's skin chemistry is different! :)

Reporting back to ay that Dracul *IS* nice, and does work on me. It ends up smelling similar to Count Dracula but is missing some notes I think. They both go strong and spiced and snuggly on me, and both have woody notes though the one in Count Dracula is way more... gleaming? Warm? Weathered? In Dracul it's more forest-y. Dracul is missing the very slight leather note (to my nose) present in Count Dracula. Also the Count has a dead floral/dried flowers thing going on that's abscent in it's more rustic version. Some of the same clovey notes really shine though- I wonder if clove likes me, and that's part of what's going on? I still haven't discovered what works on me and what does not.

Edited by DoktorDandy

So I just tried Hesiod's Phoenix today, and fell madly in love. Of course it's impossible to find... So does anyone have any suggestions on something similar that's more easily obtainable? LE or GC is fine. I feel like I have smelled something similar before, but I just cannot for the life of me remember what it is!

Jacobs ladder and la lugubre gondola aren't dupes, but are in the same family. Llg is a rare, but jl is a yule that repeats every now and again and is currently on the lab's etsy.

Sorry did you mean Ebay?

So I just tried Hesiod's Phoenix today, and fell madly in love. Of course it's impossible to find... So does anyone have any suggestions on something similar that's more easily obtainable? LE or GC is fine. I feel like I have smelled something similar before, but I just cannot for the life of me remember what it is!

Jacobs ladder and la lugubre gondola aren't dupes, but are in the same family. Llg is a rare, but jl is a yule that repeats every now and again and is currently on the lab's etsy.

Sorry did you mean Ebay?

no I meant etsy

Are there any sweet strawberry GCs without florals? The only hit on the site I get is for suganiyot and that was an LE. There is one with a boozy champagne I am going to have to try and then things like Hollywood Babylon that come off more like cherry cool aid and powder on me.

Beaver'versary is seriously amazing and I would love to recreate it.

Edited by Yojenitan

Are there any sweet strawberry GCs without florals? The only hit on the site I get is for suganiyot and that was an LE. There is one with a boozy champagne I am going to have to try and then things like Hollywood Babylon that come off more like cherry cool aid and powder on me.

Maybe Maenad or Mania--I get strawberry from both of those, but I wouldn't put either as a dupe for Beaver'versary...

I think most strawberry blends come with florals. Bon Vivant is the champagne one, that would probably be your best bet. For super fruity there's 'Tis the Voice of the Lobster (A woody, musky-weird base glooping over with blackberry preserves, a twist of mandarin, strawberry juice, pulverized watermelon, and a handful of smushed gardenia petals.) I personally can't smell strawberry in that one, though. There are also some Strawberry Moon blends on sale on etsy if you wanna check those out! https://www.etsy.com/shop/alchemylab/search?search_query=strawberry&order=date_desc&view_type=gallery&ref=shop_search

Oh strawberry moon does not for even a moment agree with me. Alas! I don't even know why but it turns to floor cleaner!

Maybe Bon Vivant and a little Eat Me or Snake Oil or Ivory Vulva.

I'll add an imp of Bon Vivant with my next order!

Possibly a long shot but ... I was just recently frimped Crypt Queen and I immediately fell in love. Is there something similar in the GC or even current available LE's?

Does anyone have reccomendations for scents similar to Adam, Eve, Ava and Blood popscicle from the Only Lovers Left Alive collection?

Does anyone have reccomendations for scents similar to Adam, Eve, Ava and Blood popscicle from the Only Lovers Left Alive collection?

I have always gotten a feel similar to Eve from the Vampires Don't Sleep Alone blend Cicuta. It is like smoky roses.

Possibly a long shot but ... I was just recently frimped Crypt Queen and I immediately fell in love. Is there something similar in the GC or even current available LE's?

I had read that the OLLA, Funnel of Love, is close in spirit to the Crypt Queen. "The whole feeling of this blend is rather like Crypt Queen, but with less fruit."

I had read that the OLLA, Funnel of Love, is close in spirit to the Crypt Queen. "The whole feeling of this blend is rather like Crypt Queen, but with less fruit."

Thanks I'll check that out!

So does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to Eldritch Drunken Constellations? On me it starts as a pale pulpy white-green that dries into this amazing green musky spicy ambergris that almost hearkens to the dry-down of my Mikado Saloon HG. I bought it on whim for the name and now I LOVE IT.

I've tried Kumiho and while it starts very similar it dries down to a dry astringent ginger which is nothing like my beloved EDC. I've also tried Yha'Nthlei which I figured should have been almost a dead-ringer given the similar notes but it goes straight up floral soapy on me.

Is there another GC scent I'm missing? I can't imagine anything could be closer than Yha but could be wrong. Does anyone have more experience with Yha'Nthlei? Does it lose the soapiness as it ages and allow the ambergris to come out?

So does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to Eldritch Drunken Constellations? On me it starts as a pale pulpy white-green that dries into this amazing green musky spicy ambergris that almost hearkens to the dry-down of my Mikado Saloon HG. I bought it on whim for the name and now I LOVE IT.

I've tried Kumiho and while it starts very similar it dries down to a dry astringent ginger which is nothing like my beloved EDC. I've also tried Yha'Nthlei which I figured should have been almost a dead-ringer given the similar notes but it goes straight up floral soapy on me.

Is there another GC scent I'm missing? I can't imagine anything could be closer than Yha but could be wrong. Does anyone have more experience with Yha'Nthlei? Does it lose the soapiness as it ages and allow the ambergris to come out?

You could try Shanghai (little staying power though) or Embalming Fluid

Help! My favorite scent Tombeur from Vampires Don't Sleep Alone is out of stock. What, besides Snake Oil, in the GC would you recommend?

Thank you!

Somebody compared The White Witch to it--it's an LE from last year, but I don't think it's rare. Might be worth a shot. I've never tried Crypt Queen, but I do love my Witch.

Somebody compared The White Witch to it--it's an LE from last year, but I don't think it's rare. Might be worth a shot. I've never tried Crypt Queen, but I do love my Witch.

I actually have White Witch. I'll have to do a side by side to see. I love the Witch too. =)

Help! My favorite scent Tombeur from Vampires Don't Sleep Alone is out of stock. What, besides Snake Oil, in the GC would you recommend?

Thank you!

On my skin, at least, Tombeur has some elements of Womb Furie or Smut (both of which are LE, but were available in many years) and Crowley (from the Good Omens series).

You could try Shanghai (little staying power though) or Embalming Fluid

Thanks, theredkilt! I do have Embalming Fluid lying around as a frimp so I'll try that and Shanghai once I can get my hands on it. Appreciate it!

Thank you!

On my skin, at least, Tombeur has some elements of Womb Furie or Smut (both of which are LE, but were available in many years) and Crowley (from the Good Omens series).

Thank you for the recommendations, I have Smut (2015) and on me it shares some of the same characteristics, but is very different from Tombeur. Looking at the notes of Crowley,it might be worth a try.

Thank you!

Thank you for the recommendations, I have Smut (2015) and on me it shares some of the same characteristics, but is very different from Tombeur. Looking at the notes of Crowley,it might be worth a try.

Definitely track down Crowley - it's dry down is very similar to Tombeur on my skin. Like, I was surprised how much it was similar (and I'm a HUGE tombeur fan - I've gone through 3 full bottles since it came out).

Shoggoth?