Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Is there anything similar to Star Promenade? The notes are "sloe gin, peach blossoms, banjo strings, hay bales, and apple pie." It smells mostly peachy and fizzy to me (I'm not sure I'd identify that as gin, but other reviewers seem to). I'd take recs for more easily-findable LEs too!

Anyone have anything similar for "The Gentleman" from Yule 2012?

(A dapper cologne, distant and refined: white musk, lime rind, and rosemary water with tobacco leaf and lilac.)

After a weird, unpleasant drydown, it turns into a delightful cologne, slightly sweet and herbal and almost candy citrusy. I'd like to recreate it or something similar without hunting it down.

I already have (and love) Whitechapel, but on me it's primarily powdery white musk. And Dorian and Jareth just turn into a sugary mess on me. No luck with Mr. Nancy either. Maybe Villain?

(A dapper cologne, distant and refined: white musk, lime rind, and rosemary water with tobacco leaf and lilac.)

After a weird, unpleasant drydown, it turns into a delightful cologne, slightly sweet and herbal and almost candy citrusy. I'd like to recreate it or something similar without hunting it down.

I already have (and love) Whitechapel, but on me it's primarily powdery white musk. And Dorian and Jareth just turn into a sugary mess on me. No luck with Mr. Nancy either. Maybe Villain?

Well I haven't smelled the gentlemen, but how about Spider, the convocation or vicomte de valmont?

Another scent that should be hoarded but alas appears frequently on the sales pages is aubin grandpied bunmanchi. It's amazing in hot summer weather and nice when it gets colder, too.

Edited by annemathematics

Perhaps Lysander?

Well I haven't smelled the gentlemen, but how about Spider, the convocation or vicomte de valmont?

Another scent that should be hoarded but alas appears frequently on the sales pages is aubin grandpied bunmanchi. It's amazing in hot summer weather and nice when it gets colder, too.

Thank you, I haven't tried any of those, and they all sound interesting!

Perhaps Lysander?

Ha, Lysander is actually on my to try list. Looking at it again, it sounds very good, I'm going to push it to the top of the list.

thanks!

I haven't tried The Gentleman, but two scents come to mind that might fulfill the "dapper cologne with a hint of citrus" profile.

Bram Stoker is nice and refined, and I could have sworn there was something akin to lemon peel in here, but the bergamot seems to come across on the citrusy side of things. The lab notes include bourbon vetiver with opoponax, Italian bergamot, and hay absolute.

Incantation reminds me of Bram Stoker, and despite the listed notes—vetiver, dark woods, crumbling and burnt black sandalwood with a drop of lemon rind—this is a really light and crisp blend which I'll be saving for the sweltering dog days of summer!

I am looking for something that smells like White Moon. Been hunting a decant of this for ever and it just isn't there. These are the notes:

Lilac, calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, moonflower, night musk, phlox, and violet.

Also looking for a general catalog scent that actually smells like a single note freesia. Maybe even from an other company that hasnt to much shipping to the Netherlands? I know Demeter has a freesia scent but they don't ship to Europe and their retailers ask way to much for shipping just for one sample.

Edited by Hadewig

THE NIGHT-RAVEN—Indigo musk, wild plum, rose geranium, benzoin, night-blooming jasmine, and patchouli.

For White Moon, off the top of my head, perhaps The Night-Raven might work. It's a sharp floral with a purple feel about it, and when mixed with the dry woody note of the patchouli, it remains rather astringent on my skin.

Edited by nathanielhebert

I am not a fan of jasmine, but maybe it isn't noticeable in The Night-Raven. I will try to get an imp! Thanks for the advice!

Thanks! I don't know how Bram Stoker slipped by notice, but I love veviter, hay and bergamot, so I am definitely getting an imp of this in my next order!

Incantation is sadly one of those scents that sounds awesome but is completely blah on me...

I haven't tried The Gentleman, but two scents come to mind that might fulfill the "dapper cologne with a hint of citrus" profile.

Bram Stoker is nice and refined, and I could have sworn there was something akin to lemon peel in here, but the bergamot seems to come across on the citrusy side of things. The lab notes include bourbon vetiver with opoponax, Italian bergamot, and hay absolute.

Incantation reminds me of Bram Stoker, and despite the listed notes—vetiver, dark woods, crumbling and burnt black sandalwood with a drop of lemon rind—this is a really light and crisp blend which I'll be saving for the sweltering dog days of summer!

Still looking for GC scents that could act as substitutes for Count Dracula! I've gotten some nice suggestions, but looking for others as well. Tried Nosferatu- I'm on the fence about it- on me it was very different, and was great until the very last stage where I think it went a little powdery- though I am going to try it again, to make sure it wasn't a fluke or that it wasn't still in travel shock. I also have some Dracul on the way, hopefully.

This perked my ears up! Vicomte de Valmont is my favorite so I am watching everything suggested to you with a lot of interest, haha- a bunch of things being suggested are sounding interesting to me- though your description of Jareth is scaring me- I've been wanting to try that one really badly. I was hoping it wouldn't be as sweet as Dorian.

Still looking for GC scents that could act as substitutes for Count Dracula! I've gotten some nice suggestions, but looking for others as well. Tried Nosferatu- I'm on the fence about it- on me it was very different, and was great until the very last stage where I think it went a little powdery- though I am going to try it again, to make sure it wasn't a fluke or that it wasn't still in travel shock. I also have some Dracul on the way, hopefully.

This perked my ears up! Vicomte de Valmont is my favorite so I am watching everything suggested to you with a lot of interest, haha- a bunch of things being suggested are sounding interesting to me- though your description of Jareth is scaring me- I've been wanting to try that one really badly. I was hoping it wouldn't be as sweet as Dorian.

Obviously skin chemistry varies from person to person, but I didn't find Jareth to be anywhere near as sweet as Dorian. The leather and oudh probably help out quite a bit with that. I actually can't wear Dorian (I think I have a mild allergic reaction to it, my eyes get puffy if I wear it), though I do like it on my husband... but Jareth is one of my favorite BPAL scents.

*EDITED* because I accidentally had spelled oudh incorrectly (like the instrument and not the scent).

Edited by neptuneanblues

Obviously skin chemistry varies from person to person, but I didn't find Jareth to be anywhere near as sweet as Dorian. The leather and oude probably help out quite a bit with that. I actually can't wear Dorian (I think I have a mild allergic reaction to it, my eyes get puffy if I wear it), though I do like it on my husband... but Jareth is one of my favorite BPAL scents.

Oh! this is good to hear! Though not that you are allergic to Dorian- I'm sorry to hear that! Do you know what note might be giving you an issue?

I'm going to be trying Dorian again, though last time, all I smelled, and I mean, all I smelled was vanilla cookies and not a hint of the other notes. Jareth sounds more like what I wanted Dorian to be. I'm hunting down a decant if I can because I am new therefore not gutsy enough to just go for a bottle of something unknown. My skin has done some really interesting stuff with BPAL, but it's been picky. I wasn't expecting that.

Thanks for the explanation of the differences for you between Jareth and Dorian- I love hearing how scents compare and change from person to person.

Obviously skin chemistry varies from person to person, but I didn't find Jareth to be anywhere near as sweet as Dorian. The leather and oude probably help out quite a bit with that. I actually can't wear Dorian (I think I have a mild allergic reaction to it, my eyes get puffy if I wear it), though I do like it on my husband... but Jareth is one of my favorite BPAL scents.

Oh! this is good to hear! Though not that you are allergic to Dorian- I'm sorry to hear that! Do you know what note might be giving you an issue?

I'm going to be trying Dorian again, though last time, all I smelled, and I mean, all I smelled was vanilla cookies and not a hint of the other notes. Jareth sounds more like what I wanted Dorian to be. I'm hunting down a decant if I can because I am new therefore not gutsy enough to just go for a bottle of something unknown. My skin has done some really interesting stuff with BPAL, but it's been picky. I wasn't expecting that.

Thanks for the explanation of the differences for you between Jareth and Dorian- I love hearing how scents compare and change from person to person.

No, I don't know what note it is. I've had a similar reaction to a couple of other BPAL scents, but the only one I can remember right now is Okayaki (a past LE), which I really loved but couldn't keep since I couldn't actually wear it. Both scents could conceivably contain bergamot, but I highly doubt I'm allergic to that based on all of the Earl Grey I've consumed in my life (yes, I realize that BPAL's bergamot could be an accord and not actual bergamot though). Anyhow, hope you are able to track down some Jareth to try. :)

I am really excited for Vicomte de Valmont now because it sounds gorgeous from the recs (and has rosemary like The Gentlemen, which is a pretty rare bpal note)!

Yeah, unfortunately for me, Jareth is a near dupe for Dorian on me, both in the bottle and on (lots of sugar and some musk). I get none of the leather or lilac. That being said, chemistry is a fickle thing, so you should definitely get a imp and check it out!

I hope you like Dracul, it's one that I like a lot. I don't really have any good recs for Count Dracula (which sounds lovely) but you may want to try, if Dracul is up your alley and if you get a chance, Troll or Iago for that sort of dark, swirly, musky scent.

So I just tried Hesiod's Phoenix today, and fell madly in love. Of course it's impossible to find... So does anyone have any suggestions on something similar that's more easily obtainable? LE or GC is fine. I feel like I have smelled something similar before, but I just cannot for the life of me remember what it is!

I am really excited for Vicomte de Valmont now because it sounds gorgeous from the recs (and has rosemary like The Gentlemen, which is a pretty rare bpal note)!

Yeah, unfortunately for me, Jareth is a near dupe for Dorian on me, both in the bottle and on (lots of sugar and some musk). I get none of the leather or lilac. That being said, chemistry is a fickle thing, so you should definitely get a imp and check it out!

I hope you like Dracul, it's one that I like a lot. I don't really have any good recs for Count Dracula (which sounds lovely) but you may want to try, if Dracul is up your alley and if you get a chance, Troll or Iago for that sort of dark, swirly, musky scent.

I hope you like Vicomte de Valmont! It is head and shoulders above the rest on me- I absolutely love it. Immediate love. I'm not sure he can be dethroned. On me it comes off as really well blended. If the rosemary is doing anything, it's not foody- it would probably be lending a stabilizing green note. It feels wonderfully classical and old world and I can't stop smelling it when it's on. It's the first one where I knew that I was going to get a bottle for sure.

I think I miiighhtt amp leather, so I am interested to see what Jareth does on me.

I just had an imp of Dracul come in along with some scents that are supposed to be similar to the good Vicomte (Or so I hope!). I'm excited to try Dracul as I think it shares some notes with Count Dracula? I'm afraid I may not be able to find a substitute for the teeny vial of the Count I have. Count Dracula was the most snuggly, velvety, woody, dried-floral, clovey thing on me- really comfy and so effortless with leathery edges and man oh man. Maybe Dracul will work out... Here's to hoping...

Edited by DoktorDandy

I hope you like Vicomte de Valmont! It is head and shoulders above the rest on me- I absolutely love it. Immediate love. I'm not sure he can be dethroned. On me it comes off as really well blended. If the rosemary is doing anything, it's not foody- it would probably be lending a stabilizing green note. It feels wonderfully classical and old world and I can't stop smelling it when it's on. It's the first one where I knew that I was going to get a bottle for sure.

I think I miiighhtt amp leather, so I am interested to see what Jareth does on me.

I just had an imp of Dracul come in along with some scents that are supposed to be similar to the good Vicomte (Or so I hope!). I'm excited to try Dracul as I think it shares some notes with Count Dracula? I'm afraid I may not be able to find a substitute for the teeny vial of the Count I have. Count Dracula was the most snuggly, velvety, woody, dried-floral, clovey thing on me- really comfy and so effortless with leathery edges and man oh man. Maybe Dracul will work out... Here's to hoping...

I don't find Dracul anything like Count Dracula. Dracul has so much pine and mint. However, I've been trying to remember to layer Hatta with Mort de César and see how that turns out. It would certainly bring out the leather and clove notes of the Count! (Although my bottle of Count Dracula is more snuggly clove and little to no leather, which is just fine by me.) I'll report my results in the layering thread if I can remind myself to do this tomorrow!

Edited by Poenari

So I just tried Hesiod's Phoenix today, and fell madly in love. Of course it's impossible to find... So does anyone have any suggestions on something similar that's more easily obtainable? LE or GC is fine. I feel like I have smelled something similar before, but I just cannot for the life of me remember what it is!

To my nose, Implacable Beautiful Tyrant hair gloss is almost an exact dupe of Hesiod's Phoenix. It hair gloss, but it's GC.

Jacobs ladder and la lugubre gondola aren't dupes, but are in the same family. Llg is a rare, but jl is a yule that repeats every now and again and is currently on the lab's etsy.

This is a long shot but maybe Doom of Beauty? Nice and crisp, has rosemary. Not as floral as you would think for a luper. Its green, Old World, and refreshing but not sharp or heavy on ozone.

And, I have never smelt it, but Phantom Time Hypothesis could fit the bill...

Edited by sprout

I've been searching for a good substitute for the discontinued March Hare for years. The notes were apricot and clove, and I loved it for the how bright and fruity the apricot was. Does anyone else know of apricot blend where the apricot it at the forefront without too many more notes?

(Aristocratic Couple was ALMOST a winner, but, alas, they had no *ahem* staying power)