Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Do we have any CG or (other) LE scents comparable to Laces? Black, Autumn, Red and Tattered Laces all work superbly for me and all have that same smoky vanilla burnt sugary note I love so much. Is there anything else similar?

I have an imp that is probably a decade old for a fragrance called Decadence. I have no idea what's in it, and I don't have very much left. A friend of mine thinks that it might have vervain in it (whatever that is).

Does anyone remember this scent or have a description of it? I would love to get something similar as it is my favorite of every BPAL fragrance I've ever tried.

TL;DR: Decadence - what's in it? Can you recommend something similar?

I looked up what Decadence has in it but there are no notes listed as it seems to have been a unreleased blend. But people did do reviews on it and they mentioned that it smells like it has almond, cinnamon, vanilla cake and ginger.

Here are some of my suggestions for similar blends :)

Bastet- Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus.

Eclipse- All the glory, warmth and majesty of the sun — darkened. A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon.

Bengal- A sultry and unruly blend that emulates the ambient scent of the markets in ancient Bengal: skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger.

Inferno- The Dark Side of Fire: cinnamon, bitter almond, and neroli. Heavily spiced, torrid, and possibly conflagrant.

Shub-Niggurath- The lust incense of a corrupted Astarte. A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.

Eat Me- Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants.

Edited by Haltija

Awesome! I think I know what my next round of imps will be.

I have tried all of these blends and Eat Me is a huge favorite as well as Shub-Niggurath. It's purely ginger cinnamon cookies on me and it's just beautiful. They are all beautiful in their own way (: I surely hope one of them is a winner.

Shub-Niggurath sounds like my best bet there, but I will definitely update after I try them all and let you know.

I plan to wear Decadence for my wedding in a couple weeks, so if I can find something close to it, it would be very special to me.

I actually have a bottle of this! I will PM you. :)

I also have a bottle of Decadence for sale! I've seen it around :D

I will take it from both of you, if you have it.

I may have just saved myself from endless Gas Lamps' Flare stalking by realizing it's kind of close to Les Bijoux on my skin. It's all going to depend on what you amp, of course, but on me they're both sort of "sweet and slightly orangey apple with incense." There are differences, but I think they fill about the same niche in my collection, and huzzah, I already have a 5ml of Les Bijoux on the way.

So I'm not sure if this is the right home for this, or not. But I'm looking for GC scents in the same vein as Ava. I'm having a lot of trouble with some of the GC's as they all have a very similar headshop-esq tone on me. Whip, Juliette and Imperious Tiger-Lily so far are lovely, but they don't have quite the same level of awesomeness I'm looking for. Any ideas, maybe? :(

This is another LE, which kind of defeats the purpose of this thread, BUT it wasn't a number-limited run like Ava so you can find it floating around at times: Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending. Similar heady, feminine and flirty mix.

Looking at the GC - have you given Dorian a shot? Someone in the Ava thread said they were like two sides of the same coin, where Ava is warmer and hazier and Dorian is more cool. But I can smell the resemblence: both give a sense of vanilla musk with some dainty florals and citrus.

I haven't given Dorian a try yet, but it's been on the list! I'll order an imp on my next order, for sure (and keep an eye out for that LE!) Thanks for the sugestions!

This. To me Dorian is the 'cool' version of vanilla fougere, in the same way that Ava is the 'warm' version. That has to be the closest GC/LE comparison I have. I adore Ava, and Dorian. And wear either one depending on how I'm feeling when I want a vanilla-heavy blend.

My first BPAL ever was a gift and of course it was Cthulhu In Love. It was SO good that I immediately bought a few more BPALs...and I had no idea what I was doing so it was terrible. Now I know a bit more and I've sampled more of the catalog, but is there anything like Cthulhu in Love? For me it's a blast of beautiful SALTY dark chocolate and seaweed that dries down into a smokey murky/dirty aquatic scent. Someone on here described it as a umami chocolate and I definitely agree.

A lot of the incense notes seem to not work on me, but whatever gives Cthulhu in love the faint smoke/burning at the end totally works. I tried Tlazoteotl for some reason thinking it might hit the dark chocolate/cocoa craving, but no dice and it went all plastic on me anyway. I doubt there's anything that's dark chocolate AND seaweed AND salt AND murky/dirty water, but I'm willing to layer.

I only have a third of a bottle left! Help me out, forumites!

I am totally in love with Adam from OLLA, and I'm not sophisticated enough to figure out why. I mean, I love the leather (I'm also a big fan of Casanova and Le Père Fouettard), but there's something else going on (the dust, the fougere?) that makes it AMAZING. I'm not in danger of running out, but I'd love to find GC scents that are similar just so I can expand into other scents. Anyone tried Adam and have any suggestions? :)

Oh man, your description of Cthulhu In Love is how I *wished* it smelled on me. Sadly it was, uh, not the case.

I don't have a full scent recommendation, but have you tried plain Cthulhu for the dark aquatics part of the scent? I find it kind of salty too. :cthulhu: Bpal chocolate doesn't work on me at all so I can't vouch for it, but Tezcatlipoca is supposed to be sort of smoky cocoa, so that might be one to try also. (Also you probably already know this, but CIL isn't terribly hard to find on the swaps/sales page)

My first BPAL ever was a gift and of course it was Cthulhu In Love. It was SO good that I immediately bought a few more BPALs...and I had no idea what I was doing so it was terrible. Now I know a bit more and I've sampled more of the catalog, but is there anything like Cthulhu in Love? For me it's a blast of beautiful SALTY dark chocolate and seaweed that dries down into a smokey murky/dirty aquatic scent. Someone on here described it as a umami chocolate and I definitely agree.

A lot of the incense notes seem to not work on me, but whatever gives Cthulhu in love the faint smoke/burning at the end totally works. I tried Tlazoteotl for some reason thinking it might hit the dark chocolate/cocoa craving, but no dice and it went all plastic on me anyway. I doubt there's anything that's dark chocolate AND seaweed AND salt AND murky/dirty water, but I'm willing to layer.

Edited by Allumina

Honestly, there isn't a General Catalog that does that, though you could try layering Chuthulu with the chocolate blend of your choice. My experience is that if you like dark chocolate blends, your best bet is to wait for Lupercalia and hope. I am sorry.

I am totally in love with Adam from OLLA, and I'm not sophisticated enough to figure out why. I mean, I love the leather (I'm also a big fan of Casanova and Le Père Fouettard), but there's something else going on (the dust, the fougere?) that makes it AMAZING. I'm not in danger of running out, but I'd love to find GC scents that are similar just so I can expand into other scents. Anyone tried Adam and have any suggestions? :)

The Ninth Cage is woodier, but similar in feel. The Red Rider is simpler and less subtle, but in the same ballpark. You might also want to try Hunter.

Edited by Gwydion

I can't remember if I posted in here before about this, but here goes:

If you loved Eve (OLLA) or are curious about her, you might want to give Cicuta (Vampires Don't Sleep Alone) a go; while it's not as complex as Eve, it shares some vibes with her - the incense-shrouded dusty rose and the slightly spiced edge. I think it's a fairly good replacement for Eve, and I certainly love both of them :D

I can't remember if I posted in here before about this, but here goes:

If you loved Eve (OLLA) or are curious about her, you might want to give Cicuta (Vampires Don't Sleep Alone) a go; while it's not as complex as Eve, it shares some vibes with her - the incense-shrouded dusty rose and the slightly spiced edge. I think it's a fairly good replacement for Eve, and I certainly love both of them :D

Oh, thanks! I have a bottle of Cicuta in my undecided box - I will definitely give it a re-whirl and see how it clicks with me. I bet it's been two years since I skin tested it.

I just got my bottle of Scholar's Tower tucked in my Halloween order. It is definitely a member of The Lion - Jacob's Ladder - Hesiod's Phoenix - La Lugubre Gondola family. Anyone who loves those scents should try to score a bottle (and should have at least one back up bottle of The Lion tucked away and aging as we speak!)

The Ninth Cage is woodier, but similar in feel. The Red Rider is simpler and less subtle, but in the same ballpark. You might also want to try Hunter.

Thanks, these all sound super interesting! Oak and iron sounds amazing, and red musk & leather sound like a brilliant combo. I will see if I can hunt down some decants...

Edited by Allumina

Are there any GCs like Geek? My Geek bottle is getting very low (just a few applications left) and finding a bottle is basically impossible these days.

Talk about some post necromancy :lol: but I am down to about 1ml of Geek left and bottles are basically unavailable even on eBay now. (Hint Lab for a resurrection. Guaranteed seller!)

Earlier in this thread I saw that some consider Nemesis to be an equivalent for Geek. Anyone else have this experience? Any other recommendations?

Not that this helps, but I don't find Nemesis and Geek to be similar at all!

To make up for my non-helpfulness, will suggest Druid or (the discontinued) Tintagel :)

I am a FIEND for Achulophobia in the 2013 Weenies! :wwolf: Is there ANYTHING in the GC that is close?? I will cry when my 2 hoarded bottles are empty. Even though the scent gets eaten up on my skin, I LOVE it and end up making sure it's in my clothes to make the scent last longer.

Notes are Black patch, tobacco absolute, opoponax and inky black musk

I've read the thread of leather but I'm quite confused...which is the closet kind of leather of Loviatar, dry but creamy at the same time, dirty but not too much, a perfect balance of the components clean dirty, wet dry, rought classy ..I like very much The white rider,dry and sophsticated, like Dee but too much vetiver in it...but which oil I find in the general catalogue, easy to find, similar to Loviatar?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Elmifra

I've read the thread of leather but I'm quite confused...which is the closet kind of leather of Loviatar, dry but creamy at the same time, dirty but not too much, a perfect balance of the components clean dirty, wet dry, rought classy ..I like very much The white rider,dry and sophsticated, like Dee but too much vetiver in it...but which oil I find in the general catalogue, easy to find, similar to Loviatar?

Thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: I haven't actually smelled either of these things, but a couple of people have compared Psychodynamic Discharge to Loviatar. It's an LE but still up. (black leather and red musk with aged black patchouli, Chinese rose, black pepper, coconut meat, Haitian vetiver, and igneous red ginger.)

Thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: I haven't actually smelled either of these things, but a couple of people have compared Psychodynamic Discharge to Loviatar. It's an LE but still up. (black leather and red musk with aged black patchouli, Chinese rose, black pepper, coconut meat, Haitian vetiver, and igneous red ginger.)

Having been one of those people that compared PD to Loviatar, I would say go for it. I found PD to be like Loviatar in vibe even if it wasn't quite the same scent. You may or may not find the vetiver and/or coconut components problematic.

ETA

Elfimira - I forgot to multiqoute.

You could try from the GC:

Event Horizon: A disconcerting scent, heavy and oppressive, through which no light, no matter, and no spirit can escape. Black opium, labdanum, opoponax, black orchid, and benzoin

Old Demons of the First Class: Siberian musk, black clove, opoponax, tonka, black pepper, and neroli

Other LEs:

Final Darkness: Twilight of the Gods 2014. The sun turns black, earth sinks in the sea: black amber and shimmering moonflower blackened by opoponax, khus attar, smoked oudh, and myrrh and all swallowed by the fathomless depths of a lightless ocean

Black Taffeta: The dry, musty wooden scent of a crumbling cedar trunk dusted upon a gleaming swath of black Byzantine silk taffeta: opoponax and opium tar, Chinese geranium, smoky patchouli, bourbon vanilla absolute, and lustrous black and white musks

Grand Guignol: Thanatos: Century Guild Exclusive. All stage blood and pantomimed gore: black myrrh and murky opoponax with beeswax, Oman frankincense, rosewood, black tea leaf, bourbon vanilla, sugar cane, vetiver, and Daemonorops

Edited by zankoku_zen